Dogs In Cars

Teebs

I'm just having a facebook fight with someone (because there is nothing else to do while holding a sleeping baby!) And everyone is saying they can smash a window and not get in trouble.

(I'm not arguing about that side of things, I would happily get charged If I had to do it to save a dog, I was just curious)

The NRMA (in NSW) call it as a priority matter and will come straight away - you don't have to be a member. Otherwise, call the Police who will direct you. It's not strictly legal to smash a window so I would cover all bases and get advice from the police first.

About 10 years ago, I remember accidentally locking Panto in - someone else shut a door on the other side they weren't meant to whilst we were unloading, and Panto herself stood up on the lock button and locked herself in. It was a 30+ day, and even though we were parked in the shade and it was only mid morning, the nearest NRMA literally dropped what they were doing on their current job and came in a hurry. I swear it was under 10mins, though it felt like ages - We waited the whole time and kept an eye on her, ready to smash the window if need be. Thankfully everything was fine and she was happy to give licks and cuddles to the NRMA guy. They were awesome.

Witnessed a fight a couple of weeks ago..lady parked her car in the shade (a stationwagon) was a coolish day maybe 25deg, had the tail gate up, the dog secured and left him to pay her dog training fees. Maybe 5 minutes. A local man comes running over and reckons the dog had been in the car for an hour, (untrue, I saw her pull up),threatened to break her window. Don't know why he thought that was a good idea the tailgate was open

He was very abusive and was told by the club to call the police and complain. These people are dog lovers. I do the same, sometimes, weather permitting, it is to keep the dogs away from a crowd of dogs and people that build up to pay dues, it is in the dogs best interest.

People do go overboard.

I have a soft sided crate that lives in my car. I've needed to use it a few times other than dog club - and glad I had it so I didn't have to leave her locked in the car. If I do leave her in the car, I leave the doors unlocked so people don't have to smash the window.

I have called the police to discuss whether or not to break a window on other people's cars when there's an unhappy looking dog inside.

I have a tool that will do the job that lives in my car as a safety device for any children dumb enough to get locked in the back behind the cargo barrier. Tho you can open the door from the inside. I think.

I wouldn't smash the window unless the police person on the other end told me to...

Most of the time - we're having the discussion and the owner shows up and is very angry (shamed). I figure the more embarrassed they are about all the concerned people standing around watching their dog - the better.

People do get very confused about how long they've been away tho. One lady said she'd only been a couple of minutes but it was more like 20 minutes cos she stopped to chat with friends.

PS at my ex dog club - they always had people who would hold your dog for you while you sorted your membership out.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket