Aggression

Sookydog

My dog, choc, of 10 years has always been aggressive but I've managed to control her on lead. When our old dog of 16 years died choc was distraught as were we! It has been a year now and she seems to have worsened. We did bring home a new pup in the hope she might settle but that hasn't worked. Choc attacked the pup resulting in rather long and expensive visits to vet. We don't want to get rid of puppy and I don't want to lose choc. None of our family can take her as they already have dogs and children

Choc is the most loveable dog you could wish for. Loyal, excellent with all humans .... What to do?

I suppose if you are prepared to let her live her life as an only dog, and never take her out where she can attack other dogs you dont have a problem. Otherwise perhaps a dog behaviouralist can help you. If you keep the puppy how are you going to cope? Keep them separated their entire lives? I dont know what else to suggest.

My dog, choc, of 10 years has always been aggressive but I've managed to control her on lead. When our old dog of 16 years died choc was distraught as were we! It has been a year now and she seems to have worsened. We did bring home a new pup in the hope she might settle but that hasn't worked. Choc attacked the pup resulting in rather long and expensive visits to vet. We don't want to get rid of puppy and I don't want to lose choc. None of our family can take her as they already have dogs and children

Choc is the most loveable dog you could wish for. Loyal, excellent with all humans .... What to do?

...rehome the puppy before it's too late and it becomes a problem dog too...

You might think that Choc is the most loveable dog... but you can't trust him with other dogs so you have some serious issues.... (Personally, I wouldn't think of him as loveable....)

but your obligation is to provide Choc with a good life so you need to keep him, obviously no one else would want to take him on with those issues....but can't risk the pups life so you should get the pup a new home immediately.

So you have two options, either:

1. Ensure that Choc is kept away from dogs

2. See a trainer and see if you can improve the problem

:(

I agree with rehoming the pup - managing the two is difficult and unfair on both dogs and humans. pup will also grow up with a 'warped' view of living with another dog , and may well develop its own problems .

The next thing , if you are near Perth ... is to contact this person ASAP : CLICK HERE

You can not rehome Choc with her behaviour - a new owner will affect her even more ..and she could be very unhappy :(

The fact you have said We don't want to get rid of puppy and I don't want to lose choc. None of our family can take her as they already have dogs and children

I will be honest you should never have brought a new dog home knowing the old dogs issues & that being 10 yrs of issues .

The pup needs to go before it gets traumatized more or attacked again & suffers worse injuries or become aggressive.

The old dog should be your first priority not the pup .Its not a case of get rid of the dog with issues now because the pup will be more fun ,the old dog is your responsibility.

Not sure where you got the pup from but surprised if a reputable place they where happy to let it go to live with an aggressive dog

I think, showdog, the OP was looking for confirmation it is ok to euth the old troublesome dog and just keep on going with the puppy. That sentence you've highlighted is what makes me think that.

I wouldn't keep the puppy but if you are determined to keep both dogs you need a good behaviourist quickly so the puppy doesn't develop issues because of the older dog. It is totally doable to keep two dogs in the same home but separated, but it is a lifestyle adjustment for the whole family.

If Choc's aggression has really increased in a year, then it might be worth a vet check. We've just experienced this with one of our dogs. Her personality shift was due to a liver tumour which cost her her life unfortunately. She wasn't as old as Choc.