The Time Has Come To Say Goodbye Tomorrow Morning

Isabel964

Thank you all so so so much for your responses on my other thread on euthanasia. It really helps. This morning, my beautiful kelpie girl's eyes told me it was time. My son disagreed. My husband wasn't sure. I took the risk of seeing how she goes - my son is at home, I booked an at home vet visit for tomorrow 1pm. I cried all the way to work. I cried during work.

Got home, and my beautiful girl is having dreadful trouble walking (has had years of arthritis and spinal issues and today is worse than ever big time), dry nose, not eating, shaking a bit as she rests.... and as many of you have said, her eyes tell me its definitely time to let her go.

I called the vet clinic and they said they couldn't come tonight, but they would come at 10.30am.

If she gets too bad I'll take to her where-ever she needs to go tonight to be put to sleep. But while I think she is not 100% comfortable, I think she may be ok for 1 more night. She is walking outside to go to the toilet. She is snuggling with me when I lay down with her.

I feel like I don't know how I will survive and live through the heartbreak of letting her go. It really feels that way, it really really does.

But Ive decided I need to hold her in my arms and that her last breaths are here in the home she knows and loves. And as many of you have said you did, I'll find the strength tomorrow morning to be ok for her.

Questions

Do vets sedate first? I should request that right?

Should my westie be there for the procedure?

Should my westie be shown her friend once she has passed away?

If yes how will she react?

OMG my little Westie, they are absolutely inseparable girls. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Edited to add: She has lived for 15 wonderful years. She and we are very lucky. I remember we would take her to big ovals and she run in a figure 8 - so beautiful to watch, she'd run and run like the wind. She has aged beautifully, she is almost 100% deaf, she is half blind, she has trouble walking but has gone for walks every day except yesterday, she has no dementia at all - she is the most special beautiful girl and we have had 15 amazingly wonderful fabulous years together... many trips to dog friendly cottages along the Great Ocean Road.... a wonderful life.

Edited by Isabel964

Hi Isabel

It is late so I cannot write as fully as I would like but I would at least like to offer some advice.

Your vet will doubtless go through the procedure beforehand when arriving at the house. Having a chat about what is going to happen and what you can expect will put you, and consequently your beautiful girl, at ease, especially if she is anxious at the arrival of a visitor.

My dogs have not been present at the time of passing of one of their pack mates, but I do allow them to sniff and spend time with the body if they are interested.

Some of them nonchalantly have a sniff and then walk away unconcerned, while others have seemingly looked for their pack mates for a few days after they have gone, including litter sisters when I was terribly concerned how the remaining sister would cope.

My heart goes out to you, my first dog in Australia was a quirky Kelpie x girl who attained the wonderful age of 17. She taught me so much and I still think fondly of her.... often.

Grieve well, Isabel, and let your precious memories help you heal. It is a journey many of us on DOL have travelled and we are with with you every step of the way. :grouphug:

My heart truly goes out to you Isabel. We just went through this last Friday Morning with our girl Renae. We defiantly knew it was time to make that decision.

We were fortunate to get the vet our fairly quickly (to our house) and the same one we had who came to our place to give Renae's son Joey his wings a few years ago.

We knew what to expect but our vet went through it again with us and made sure i was ready to say goodbye before she shaved her and gave her the needle. I am pretty sure she sedated her shortly before the main one ( i turned away a few times but my husband was holding onto her) She was pretty out of it anyway at that point. It was very quick. She looked very peaceful after.

We let our other 2 cavs hang around her until the vet came, young Miah layed with her closely. We did put them in another room during it more so they didnt accidentally bump the vet. Afterwards we let them sniff Renae's body as we said our final goodbyes. My husband buried her about 15 mins after.

Its the worse thing to go through but its the kindest thing we can do for them when they have gotten this bad.

It is heartbreaking. I tried my best to contain myself during it but i did let our a few small fairly quiet bouts of crying but kept turning away as to not make it more stressful than it had to be.

Just before the vet came

post-11918-0-15219200-1455799047_thumb.jpg

Thinking of you. You are doing the right thing, you will know in your heart heart.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

No advice, but certainly my thoughts are of you and your girl and your little Westie.

It will be tough, but think only of your dog (is she Isabel or is that you?) and yourself. When she is gone, hold her and cuddle her for as long as you want. Don’t let anyone hurry you.

(And think of the practicalities: have a towel or a mattress protector under her.)

Hugs to you all.

Isabel, I am so very sorry that you are facing this heartbreaking time. Just know that the last thing your girl will see is the eyes of the person she loves and trusts the most in this life, and nobody can give their best friend a more loving and comforting gift.

Let the tears flow as freely as you need them to, and don't forget we are here for you to talk to,and as time passes, to hear about the happy times. we here at DOL mostly know (or will one day know), the grief that will be a part of your life for a long time to come.

Regards Di

Thinking of you today. You have the comfort of knowing that she has told you it's time ... and you're treasuring the memories of her wonderful life with you. We never know how the remaining dog will cope .. that may be almost the hardest thing for you in days to come :( . Lots of thoughts with you. :grouphug:

Thank you.

We've had a long night. I asked the vet to come last night but they said today was the earliest - I chose today as a home euthanasia is nicer for her. Nicer than being carried into a car, I don't even know how I would have gotten her into the vet waiting room. Thats all not nice for an old girl that is not a small dog.

But if I knew what she would go through last night, I would have found a way to have her put to sleep yesterday evening.

She shook for several hours and I held her and tried to get it to stop. It did eventually with rugs on her and me holding her. I think it was pain.

Then after a little while her breathing went weird and her tongue would hang out onto the carpet. That went on for a couple of hours.

I thought about taking her to the emergency vet, but figured she was dying and better I hold her than put her through getting to a vet. She didn't seem distressed but of course she was not comfortable at all.

After that she seemed to settle, got up and drank water. A little while later threw that up.

So Im exhausted but she is laying quietly and seems ok laying there, but is weak. I had hoped she would pass away last night so she doesn't have to get a shave and needle, but she is tough old girl.

15 years and never had a sick day in her life. such a special beautiful girl.

I think I will be ok, I know this really needs to be done and while a month ago I didn't know how I could cope with putting her to sleep, now I know I have to be strong for her.

Her name is Punpunya.

I think most of us hope they will pass away peacefully in their sleep but sadly it rarely happens from what i have read over the years. I had hope too with Renae it would be taken out of my hands, but it wasn't to be.

My Renae and Joey will be there to greet Punpuny over the other side of the rainbow bridge.

Thinking of you with much love. I feel your pain heart.gif Today its been a week since i went through the same thing crying.gif x

She is gone. My favourite vet and one other came. She went quickly where she had been laying in my room. It was very peaceful.

Thank you for your support, very much.

Lots of gentle hugs for you. You were both very brave.

Try to keep distracted, thats what i tried to do.. but let the tears flow and all the thoughts of healthy happy times heart.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

RIP Punpunya. :rainbowbridge:

Take the time you need and do whatever you feel is right as you grieve this terrible event. I found that I coped by getting photo's in order, and writing a diary, as I did not want to forget my boy. We showered Kira with extra games, extra treats, and extra walks, but she was very "down".. so we borrowed her best other best friend for a couple of weeks, so she had extra dog attention too. That settled her down.

I never thought I could be there for the last breaths of my dogs, but now I believe I could be. Our boy was taken suddenly by a brown snake, and passed away 1 block from the vets. He took his last breath alone on the back seat of the car, and that tortures me to this day, I knew he would not make it, and I was driving, so he was alone and all I wanted to do was hold him.

When you feel able, we would love to see photo's of both your dogs.

Regards Di

The last precious gift you can give your girl. I hope like me you'll be comforted knowing knew such great love with you in her last moments. I know I did all I could for Mac on his last day - but I still miss him terribly. Farewell Punpunya - lots of beautiful DOLer doggies to greet you. grouphug.gifrainbowbridge.gif

I'd love to show you my beautiful girl. My photos are in flicker - it seems to have changed over the years, sharing is not how it used to be.

Does anyone know how I get the URL to one of my photos in FLICKR?

Got it, photos coming.

Edited by Isabel964