Desexing Reminder In The Mail

Dewclaws

The reminder wouldn't annoy me much as I know they are generally automated, the persistence at vet appointments would annoy me and I would take my business elsewhere if I was constantly scoffed at for my choice.

There are two sides to this. Yes, I agree that vaccinating every three years is now the accepted standard, however, we are savvy, in the know dog owners. I think about the poor dogs who don't get to see vets on a regular basis and the only reason they do go is because their owners have been sent an annual vaccination reminder.

Think of the chances for survival if a dog develops cancer but because there are no obvious symptoms, the owner doesn't take the dog for a check-up. Fast forward three years later to when the vax is due and by the time the cancer is detected, it's too late for the dog. :shrug:

I just get a laugh that my dogs are the addressee then just don't make an appointment.

I have had reminders from the vet to vaccinate my pet that had recently died - at their clinic. The first time I nicely rang them and asked that they be stopped but then over the next few mths they sent me two more. I was livid. The worst thing about it was I wasn't even their client. They were the emergency on call vet the weekend Reeve was sick and he died overnight in their care

There are two sides to this. Yes, I agree that vaccinating every three years is now the accepted standard, however, we are savvy, in the know dog owners. I think about the poor dogs who don't get to see vets on a regular basis and the only reason they do go is because their owners have been sent an annual vaccination reminder.

Think of the chances for survival if a dog develops cancer but because there are no obvious symptoms, the owner doesn't take the dog for a check-up. Fast forward three years later to when the vax is due and by the time the cancer is detected, it's too late for the dog. :shrug:

I just get a laugh that my dogs are the addressee then just don't make an appointment.

Yep, I agree with this. There are a hell of a lot of pet owners out there who just don't look beyond what their vet and maybe their past experiences tell them. Plenty of people don't note subtle changes in their pets' behavior, don't handle them enough all over to note new lumps and bumps, don't take note of the frequency and erm, quality? of their toileting, and are not aware of the symptoms of serious illness. In those cases, if a reminder gets them in to see a vet I think it's a good thing.

Same with desexing, if people haven't thought about how their pets' behaviour may change if they are entire, aren't prepared to manage that, haven't planned how to prevent unplanned matings, aren't set up to properly manage a litter, will sell or give unwanted babies to anyone who asks etc then I think early desexing is the lesser evil.

For us, who have more knowledge, feel confident in your choice, explain your position and if you don't like your vet's response either agree to disagree or go elsewhere.

I don't have much to add, my local vet is very cruisy and I don't get any mail from the vet I use in Perth :) (although I have only just updated my mailing address...).

Cowanbree that is truly awful frown.gif terrible 'bedside manner' and customer service icon_smile_mad.gif You would think there would be someone who can work their system to stop those painful notifications from being sent out!!

Yep, I agree with this. There are a hell of a lot of pet owners out there who just don't look beyond what their vet and maybe their past experiences tell them. Plenty of people don't note subtle changes in their pets' behavior, don't handle them enough all over to note new lumps and bumps, don't take note of the frequency and erm, quality? of their toileting, and are not aware of the symptoms of serious illness. In those cases, if a reminder gets them in to see a vet I think it's a good thing.

Same with desexing, if people haven't thought about how their pets' behaviour may change if they are entire, aren't prepared to manage that, haven't planned how to prevent unplanned matings, aren't set up to properly manage a litter, will sell or give unwanted babies to anyone who asks etc then I think early desexing is the lesser evil.

For us, who have more knowledge, feel confident in your choice, explain your position and if you don't like your vet's response either agree to disagree or go elsewhere.

X 2!!! Good post!!

I've had auto reminders for things like flea treatment purchases - their default system was every 6 months but they were selling packs good for 9 months - oops.

I just asked for the system to be updated with specific dates for when I wanted the reminders that would actually be helpful. Eg for the desex if you want the reminder in Sept 2017 - ask them to put that in. They can do that - well my vet can.

Then when they run the "get me all the reminders for this month" - that reminder won't be in it.

• 2 weeks later...

My current vet is awesome and is more than happy to support my decision to desex/spay later rather than sooner with my two current labs. Our last vet didn't hassle me when I told them I wouldn't be desexing Wilbur until two years of age as well, but the one previous were so frigging annoying i moved on. Laikey has had two seasons and I was going to wait until August to have her spayed which is when she's two. But it looks like i'll be doing it around May or early June as we may be moving interstate mid July.

I want my current vet to do it and i need to allow enough time for recovery before we leave.

Yes, all my vets have asked about desexing at the six month stage but when I have told my current and previous vet my reasons of why i delay they were more than happy to accept my stance. They were both confident that there would be no roaming of my male and no unplanned pregnancies from my bitch.

We keep getting letters saying our two need vaccinations. Last time we were there we asked the vet why they insist on yearly vaccs when the AVA recommend three yearly...they didn't have an answer. Does my head in.

Just do what you know is best for your dog :)

We just got an automated letter for vacs after being told last year not to bring them back for 3 years! I just shrugged it off, syste is automated, its not the end of the world, its easy enough to just not make the appointment, given theyre more likely aimed at those who won't get things done without reminders.

Edited by Bundyburger