How Do You know If The Time Is Right For Another Dog?

Little Gifts

Meet and greet is done. I'd say he is crossed with a rottweiler based on a few physical features. He is a big boy with huge feet so may still grow even more. He has healed amazingly and has a lovely, fun nature. But there was no real spark between the three of us. Initially he was all over my sister but that didn't last long. He liked us but wasn't overwhelmed by our presence. He was very mouthy and I saw it as a comfort thing as he got a lot softer then stopped doing it once he was comfortable in our space. He's a lovely boy but I think he needs a more boisterous home. I also think he could be too much for Stussy now she is feeling her age a bit. Anyway we did it so we know. It would probably be enough of a connection for some adoptees but I've seen how a pei can react with the right people and he treated us just like new people to the house, not people he wants to get to know better. I'm not sad because it means something amazing is still out there for him.

• Like 6

Guest crazydoglady99

Oh my gosh, although I feel a bit sad/disappointed for you, I am absolutely  in awe of your maturity, and knowledge in knowing what's  best for you & Floyd.

Well done LG, having the heart to say 'it could work just fine , but it really wouldn't  be the world's  best thing for everyone '  is so darn hard!!

It's a funny thing really. Before fostering I'd have said yes, we all like each other 'enough', let's do it! But I've seen that spark when a good connection is made and I want that for him as much as I want that for us. I think his foster dad was relieved. I don't think he is quite right for their house and the other dog they have but I understand what it is like to have a dog so in need of saving under your roof and to see them prosper. It's hard to let go. The right family will come along for him. It is early days yet. And I lied, I am sad but know it's right. Both my sister and I felt the same immediately.

• Like 2

They haven't rescued a pei before so I told them a couple of things just based on my experience (lots of people are a lot more knowledgeable than me on the breed of course). He is as much a typical young male dog as he is pei. He even walks like he still has a big set of something between his legs! I had to laugh when his foster dad told me he has to be dragged out to toilet when the grass is wet and don't bother if it is actually raining! I mentioned to him and the coordinator that it will be interesting to see how he acts with the other interested family compared to how he acted with us. At least we were honest with them and didn't leave them hanging for days when we'd already made up our minds. I don't think they were surprised as I did all kinds of things with him to try and engage him but he'd just wander off again and do his own thing. I'll be monitoring FB now for that post announcing he has a forever home!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wow, LG, you never cease to amaze me.

i can see how your heart would rule your head since he was so beautiful, but I think when you ‘know, you know’.

3 times I’ve  said no to a new dog - one was a pup and I just wasn’t ready, the second - god - talk about a backyard breeder...as soon as I saw the parents and their undershot jaws, I was outta there (Lhasa Apso) and the last one was an adult Field.

funnily enough, we ended up getting a 6 mth old from the same breeder 10 years later.

Edited by poochmad

Thank you Poochmad. It was very hard not to just kiss him all over that gorgeous snozz. He will make someone a cracker of a dog. I'm a bit emotional about it all today and have flopped around like a limp vegetable all day. It was also the anniversary of when we lost our last dog yesterday (2 years) so it felt like a sign that the meet and greet was moved to then. It's all a learning experience and not the end of the world. We have 2 other dogs we still adore at home with us. They've been doing pretty good in the 'Mummies sad, give me a cuddle' department today!

• Like 3

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but like others .... full of admiration for your analysis of the situation.   Sounds like he's in a good foster home, and hopefully his good match for him family is out there waiting for him.   Your assessment will certainly be uyseful to the rescue and the foster dad I'd say.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Floyd was adopted by a younger couple recently. Don't know if they have children but they have another big boofer dog and the pair of them are smitten with each other! He has his forever family! I'm so happy for him! Floyd and bro Diesel.

29261859_2081352118760851_6382143078886555249_n.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...