Applaws: Too good to be true?

I check out Applaws dog food every time i go to the supermarket, but have never picked up a bag...

I know a high price tag does not a good food make, examples- Science diet, Royal Canin etc etc

But my 2 issues are, how do they make a decent product for $17 for 2.7kgs, and the other is that it is a supermarket food,  but that could be me being a snobby pet food buyer lol

The food my dog is currently on is Stay Loyal, which is $47 for 3kgs, i think the ingredients are better than applaws, more meat content, and higher protein/fat. But other than that i cant seem to fault Applaws. I know Applaws canned food is made in Thailand :mad I just hope they don't source their meat for the dry food from there too...

Edited by Christine_72

13 minutes ago, persephone said:

tried the cat food  with no success ..it did not agree with my crew.

I had the same thing with my cat. She wouldn't eat the fish flavour and vomited up the chicken flavour a few times. But she's a sensitive sod, and i didn't transition her over slowly from her other food.

• Like 1

My cat is coming up to 14 and no issues and has eaten supermarket food her whole life, as have all my previous cats, who all died from between 12 and 18. My dogs dry food mainly comes from the supermarket and while it is not their main food it doesn't appear to have done them any harm either. 

4 hours ago, Christine_72 said:

4 hours ago, Christine_72 said:

I know Applaws canned food is made in Thailand :mad I just hope they don't source their meat for the dry food from there too...

Personally I wouldn’t be buying any food for my pets knowing it comes from overseas. Maybe the Applaws dry food doesn’t but I would stick to Australian Made and Owned. You never know what might be in it. Despite what te packaging says.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PANDI-GIRL said:

@Christine_72  Did you see the  Applaws dry food  report on TV,      7.30 report ABC,   a few weeks ago lots of  Applaws dry  bags full of mold  &  blue plastic animal ear tags  :vomit:

Oh Jeez, No i didn't see it  :( Well that's bloody off putting! I'll Google it now.

On 8/15/2018 at 12:08 PM, Zena's mum said:

Personally I wouldn’t be buying any food for my pets knowing it comes from overseas. Maybe the Applaws dry food doesn’t but I would stick to Australian Made and Owned. You never know what might be in it. Despite what te packaging says.

Actually IMHO you never know what's in it regardless of where it's made.  The biggest rendering plant in Australia (Australian Tallow Producers in Victoria) has recently come under scrutiny for micro-plastics, stock tags, collars etc in their products.  As Karen Becker says, anyone who believes you can feed a dog dry little brown balls for the whole of their life without detrimental effects and without knowing what's in them is crazy (sorry - my words, her sentiment). And you can never know what comes out of those plants because even they don't know what goes in.  

Edited by westiemum
  • Like 2