Loving my Oldies

CHOICE’S SHONKY AWARDS

14 posts in this topic

And the winner is ..........  Pet Insurance.  

Choice doesn’t recommend even one.   I haven’t read the full articles, just heard it on the news.    

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

The ABC is asking for people’s stories:  most are thumbs down, but there are some responders who have had a good experience.   

I’ve never taken it out as I’ve always had dogs from pounds and older dogs, but the veterinary clinic I have been going to for over 12 years has sold out to a pet insurance company :eek:  :eek:   :eek:

Edited to say that this company says it is not an insurance company, rather it is a club and you pay an annual membership.  :lollipop::lollipop:

Edited by Loving my Oldies

Reading further, I’ve come across two quotes from the CE of Choice, Alan Kirkland, that are totally damning of this industry.  

“Pet insurance is the insurance a business sells when it wants to make money without providing any service at all."

“Pet insurance is one of this country’s worst value insurance products.  It relies on emotionally manipulating your love of your pet to sell worthless insurance.”  

Not holding back !!!

Edited by Loving my Oldies
typos
  • Like 3

Rang to cancel my Pet Insurance today. They had to take a message to call me back as they have too many calls.. hahah

• Haha 5

juice   

I had a client who worked for one of the big ones , she told me it was a waste of time years ago . 

She had 2 dogs herself and they weren’t insured . 

• Like 1

100% agree. To insure 3 dogs and 2 cats would cost me the same as it does to insure my house. And don’t get me started on the exclusions. I have continually squirrelled away savings so I can just pay up front. And yes, I’ve had some thumping bills but I wouldn’t change a thing. 

• Like 3

I wanted to look at choices comparisons of the insurance company plans to see where mine go but... choice wants me to pay a membership fee to access. 

Um I think not. 

I went borderline bankrupt last year in the cancer scare and thymes eye. Never again. I’m going to stick with having insurance 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

I’ve never taken it out as I’ve always had dogs from pounds and older dogs, but the veterinary clinic I have been going to for over 12 years has sold out to a pet insurance company :eek:  :eek:   :eek:

Edited to say that this company says it is not an insurance company, rather it is a club and you pay an annual membership.  :lollipop::lollipop:

Is it Best for Pet?  If so, it's worth it for pups/kittens and oldies.  My oldest cat got an eye ulcer at the end of last year when my preferred mobile vet was overseas.  So I took my cat to the clinic where she used to work as they had her records.  I foresaw that this was going to be a tough year for her, fortunately, and I put her in the Best for Pet program which was $100 upfront I think and $37 a month.  She gets all consults free, free annual vacc (not that I am doing that now she is nearly 12), $250 off her dental, 10% off medications and other services etc.  She's had over 20 consults this year I think so I have already got more than my money's worth!  

For a pup or kitten there is a big discount on desexing.  

• Like 1

WOW @jemappelle, that sounds great.  Yes, it is Best For Pets.   Good to know that you have found it so worthwhile.  

On every invoice from from my vet there is a large box at the bottom saying how much I would have saved had I been a Best For Pet member.  The amount is always $0.00 :laugh: :laugh:

On 11/10/2019 at 10:00 AM, Loving my Oldies said:

On every invoice from from my vet there is a large box at the bottom saying how much I would have saved had I been a Best For Pet member.  The amount is always $0.00 :laugh: :laugh:

But all consults are free so you would have saved that!  Maybe it is an error and it should say:  This is what you saved as a Best for Pet member!

Nushie   
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:40 AM, jemappelle said:

Is it Best for Pet?  If so, it's worth it for pups/kittens and oldies.  My oldest cat got an eye ulcer at the end of last year when my preferred mobile vet was overseas.  So I took my cat to the clinic where she used to work as they had her records.  I foresaw that this was going to be a tough year for her, fortunately, and I put her in the Best for Pet program which was $100 upfront I think and $37 a month.  She gets all consults free, free annual vacc (not that I am doing that now she is nearly 12), $250 off her dental, 10% off medications and other services etc.  She's had over 20 consults this year I think so I have already got more than my money's worth!  

For a pup or kitten there is a big discount on desexing.  

We have Best for Pet for our 2 dogs and 1 cat. Our cat is 14 years old. Every 6 months they check her bloods, kidney function etc all for free. So far they have checked her every 6 months for about 5 or 6 years and each time they say she is doing well and we walk out paying nothing. No vaccination fee, no consult fee, no testing fee. And it means that we dont need to worry about the $$ amount.

Its designed as preventative care. So a lot of the routine year to year things are covered. If your pet gets sick, you get 10% of meds but the rest is on you.

• Like 1

juice   

It’s not free , you have paid in your monthly instalments . Add up a years insurance , I bet it’s way more than a blood test and annual vaccination.