Toy Poodle

Toy Poodle

Hi I have a four month old Toy Poodle and she is a very fussy eater and I'm worried about her as it it very hard to get her to eat. I have tried just about what everyone in this forum has mentioned

I have taken het to the vets and they have given product which is supposed to enchant her  appetite it is a gel and I have to put a small amount of it in her mouth around the gums but it hasn't worked for my dog

Can anyone have some recipes for me to cook for my dog, also has anyone given their Toy Poodle probiotics for dogs and does it work?

Thanks

I feel your pain.  I don’t know enough to comment on Probiotics, but I am sure there will be DOLers with experience.  

My vet suggested Periactin (just bought over the counter at the chemist) for one of my inappetent dogs, but to what extent it worked would be hard to say as she was very old and had been diagnosed with Cancer.   I tried just about every food known to man to try to find something Jeune would eat, but your situation is very different.  A young dog needs to have a good diet which is nutritious and has variety.  

Have you tried her on meaty bones?  At her age, she needs a diet that is going to help her teeth.  

Jeune passed away last week and I still have a lot of Periactin, so I would be happy to send you some if you wished to try it.  Jeune weighed under 4kg and had 1/2 tablet once a day. However, you should check with your vet first.   

Hi :) I'm sure you are worried sick :( Pups and dogs do these things ..and turn our hearts inside out! 
When you got her, what was she eating , and to what did you change her (if you did) 
How long has she been 'fussy' ?
What is her normal feeding routine , and what do you do when she doesn't eat? 
What is her daily exercise/training routine like ? Do you use treats for training? What sort ? 
What has the pup's breeder suggested ? 

Toy Poodles are tiny so don't eat much.  Is it possible she is eating enough but that it doesn't look like much to you?  Has she got a light covering over her ribs and hips?  You should be able to just feel the rib bones with light pressure.

• Like 2

Having had many years living with poodles of all three sizes this is very very common in the breed.

I would offer three to four small meals a day of good quality foods, wouldn’t worry too much about dry unless she really likes it, remove the food after 10 mins.

I found once they matured and finished growing often a lot of the fussiness would improve.

One of my standards and mini were very very skinny, the standard would sometimes go a couple of days without eating (not a good idea for a toy however as you could risk a sudden sugar drop) they were the worst two, if they weren’t heavily coated I wouldn’t have taken them out in public.

• Like 1

What has the breeder suggested .

What was the diet suggested .

How do you feed quiet area,hovering around puppy,do you feed at the same  time ,do you leave food down,do you feed treats .What exercise and daily stimulation does pup get .

Have you or do you hand feed it anything 

How are the puppies teeth ,teething is no fun for many puppies,

What food is your pup eating as it obviously is eating .

How underweight is pup