esther5

When to put down 13 yo Shepherd-mix with hip dysplagia

25 posts in this topic

Dogsfevr   

Something for you to think off though.

When the time comes what is your plan ..??

Will you be looking for a mobile vet to PTS

Will you be taking the dog to the vet

Will you be burying the dog or cremating or another option for religious reasons .

Many hope they will just pass away at home or experience it’s rare .

We own big dogs as well as our small .When big is at there worst it can be hard to get them too a car ,a good solid blanket/Doona can help .

It’s an emotional time when it happens and you will be asked what you want too do .

• Like 2

esther5   
7 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Something for you to think off though.

When the time comes what is your plan ..??

Will you be looking for a mobile vet to PTS

Will you be taking the dog to the vet

Will you be burying the dog or cremating or another option for religious reasons .

Many hope they will just pass away at home or experience it’s rare .

We own big dogs as well as our small .When big is at there worst it can be hard to get them too a car ,a good solid blanket/Doona can help .

It’s an emotional time when it happens and you will be asked what you want too do .

Yes, we have a euthanasia service set up . The vet will come to our home just so it's more comfortable for him since he hates going to the clinic. They can take the body for cremation and give us the ashes because my mom would like that option. 

• Like 5

Such a sad time, @esther5.  Take your time, spend as much time with your boy, talk to him, sing to him.  Despite making all the arrangements, it can still be a shock and a huge sense of loss and responsibility.  

Our thoughts are with you, your family and your darling boy.  

• Like 3

BDJ   

Very difficult for you and your family, but I fear it is more difficult for your dog at the moment.

I truly appreciate what you are going through, have been there.  

I would like to comment on the information you gave that your sister will pick him up etc.    This WILL cause him pain.   It is not possible for one person (or even two) to pick up a large dog without squishing or holding bits firmly.   If you put your arm under his bum, the hips are being squished.   If you put you arm under his belly, you are putting pressure on the belly, his spine will be impacted and his hind legs and hips will be left dangling and unsupported.  This is no issue with a sound dog - people do it all the time.   But he is not sound.

Also, some dogs simply don't tell you when something hurts.  I know a whippet who cracked a shoulder blade.  Owner (very knowledgeable) knew she had injured something, but had no idea what.  Vet (very good and experienced greyhound and whippet vet) could find nothing on exam.  He did every manipulation and pressure test.  She told him nothing (even subtle stiffening, muscle twitch).  Finally, he got an eye roll at the shoulder.   Xray showed she had cracked it straight though.  Thankfully rest fixed it as no displacement etc.  She was in pain, but she was a stubborn and tough witch. 

I know what I would do, and to be honest (on the information given) I would have already done it.  Tough, tears and sorrow - but it is our responsibility to be the grown ups at these times, and being a grown up means making truly sucky decisions sometimes.

• Like 6

Big D   

Firstly, I am sorry you are going through this.  You have my utmost sympathy and prayers.

Many people have very strong views on this.  I'm not going to criticise them for their decisions or actions, but they have no right to tell you that you should have already done it.  That's just hurtful and unhelpful.  You are the only one is a position to judge and make the decision, ALL we can do is offer advice.

Please do not allow yourself to be bullied into making a decision you will regret.  You need to make the right call, but it needs to be yours.

Asking "how do you want to remember your dog?" is utter nonsense.  Hopefully you will long remember their whole life, and no old dog ends their life in their prime.

It's true that dogs are not very good at communicating pain, and that they will suffer in silence, and so we need to make decisions for them.  But you can judge by their actions.
My Jasper is 16, and I know he lives with discomfort, but he also knows his limitations.  He's extremely deaf, and I imagine that if if he could process that realisation it would make him sad, but he just lives with that reality.  He's on Carprofen now, and it has made a world of difference, which for me is also a positive sign.  I can see that he is in far less pain than he was.  He still prances when he's excited, and that's a good sign.

I'm going to assume that as his owner, you're able to best judge his level of pain, and when it is triggered.  Is he able to play laying down and/or be rolled on his back for tummy rubs?  Or is the pain constant?
Does he appear to always be in pain when walking, or is it only specific movements such as climbing?  You really need to evaluate how much pain he's in, and make your decision based on that.
If by falling, you mean that his legs are giving out in pain when he tries to squat, then yes sadly that's a big negative indicator.

Best wishes in making what I know is an extremely difficult and traumatic decision.

Edited by Big D