What breed is suitable for older people ?

Christina77

On 15/08/2022 at 8:02 PM, WanaHavanese said:

What about a Basenji? I've only ever met one. He was great. Always on top of the garden furniture though. Not too small but not too big either. Didnt have a small dog personality. No real bark. Low shedding. Would tolerate your weather too. Not sure about the cats though. 

Yep that was them! Very cute doing the tricks. 

Whilst they dont bark there yodelling can wake the dead ,that is next level noise  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, Dogsfevr said:

Whilst they dont bark there yodelling can wake the dead ,that is next level noise  

I have one in my class & while I think they are a lovely dog, I agree, their howling would wake the dead

https://www.hillspet.com/dog-care/dog-breeds/tibetan-spaniel  Tibetan Spaniel (Tibbie)  Unusual little dogs said to have a personality that's 1/3 dog, 1/3 cat and 1/3 monkey.  Loyalty of the dog, self-possession of the cat and fun loving & nimble on their pointed paws like a monkey. They were originally bred to be close companions to the Buddhist monks in Tibet and also to be intelligent little watchdogs with their keen eyesight & hearing.  There's a very active and supportive Tibbie pet owners community in Australia.  They tend to be owned by a range of people, but quite a few are retired people.  Useful info on the link.

• Like 5

On 22/08/2022 at 3:37 PM, Dogsfevr said:

@WanaHavaneseit's not the yodel it's the temperament.  Lovely for many, bloody minded to the max for others, some strains super destructive.  Ancient breed, less developed obedience genes, more problem-solving and decision making, agile climbers, great hunters.  My favourite dog but sometimes not for the slowing down owner.    

• Like 1

Well like I said, I have only ever met one Basenji :)  He was in a family with absolutely no dog or animal experience at all, in a tiny backyard and he was just a good boy. He came to mind because it sounds like a similar lifestyle to the original poster - they took him for runs along the river daily which was enough exercise, although he made full use of the vertical space for the lack of backyard! He wasnt noisey at all. Hardly any grooming requirements (middle kid was allergic to dogs but was fine with him). Extremely tolerant guy who got along well with kids and my selective dog at the time. Better recall than her too! 

He must have come from a good line, as he lived until almost 18 but did have skin issues in relation to some foods. My friend who owned him visited recently and the way she was interacting with my current dog made me realise just how tolerant her old Basenji was!  haha. I just thought it was worth mentioning as a breed to check out. A really nice size too. 

Personally, I'd not want a dog that needs excessive grooming once the arthritis sets in the hands and wrists but I do live 200kms from the nearest groomer, so that factors into it! 

Edited by WanaHavanese

38 minutes ago, WanaHavanese said:

....  I'd not want a dog that needs excessive grooming once the arthritis sets in the hands and wrists but I do live 200kms from the nearest groomer, so that factors into it! 

Agreed, plus grooming cost becomes an issue for older people with rising medical etc cost of their own.  The other biggie for me would be weight - preferably a smooth coat and well under 10 kg - because comes the day the dog has to be assisted with standing or getting up steps or into a car.  it's not possible for a maybe slightly fitness-challenged owner to lift a 15kg++ dog.  Dol dog Justice for example.  Big dogs can be suitably kind and gentle, but fact has to be faced they are difficult for aged/infirm owners when a small light dog is more than manageable to care for.

I'm over 80 and like the idea of a Dally or a Dobe again.  But commonsense tells me a Jack Russel or Basenji would be better choices.

• Like 1

My parents are in their 80's and have a 10 month old Bichon Frise, he has been great. Happy with a toddle around the block. Solid without being too big for them to lift. Very easy to train and not too barky. They are in a small town house complex but have enough room fir him to run around and chase a ball. He has his mad puppy moments but overall he has bought them lots of joy. We have an agreement that if anything happens to them he will come to me or my sister. He is a super little dog.

• Like 4

Been giving this some thought ,  and too be honest and completly truthful i'm not a small dog lover  always had and prefered big to  large dogs ,, however the one i've got now is a small dog ,  and he's the most placid well behaved dog i've ever had ,   he does'nt play much   but when he does and gets ecited starts nipping , just a finger   a NO play gentle and  he's back to sucking your thumb ,, i bought him on a spur of the moment emotionalk discision , i actually went to the pound to buy a  big bull mastiff i  had seen the previous day , but spotted him with the thing around his neck    they had just deseed him, said hello to him  he  run over  and that was that ,, he was actually used has  there poster dog at that time , he was so cute . and weve been mates ever since , at least when he's awake nowadays ,, .

But if i was to buy another little dog  , i dunno i like  the westies , and terriers , but if i was to buy from a breeder it would definetly be a aussie terrier , ,,, other than that i think i would go to the pound and just buy the scruffiest little terrier cross i could find

• Like 2