What breed is suitable for older people ?

Christina77

I've been a member here for many years but after my Bella (ACD) passed away I just haven't had the heart to get another dog and have not been that active here .

Now that I'm coming up to retirement I'm starting to toy with the idea of having another dog . It's been 4 years .

Owning another ACD would be wonderful but not in the best interest of the dog as now I live in suburbia and I' m not sure I could cope with such an active dog anyway however much my hearts leans towards them . 

I'm not really into little dogs but that's more because of inexperience with them.

So I'm tentatively starting to look around for what type of dog might suit . I would love some advise , I have 2 cats , indoors and rescues . Both loved my Bella and one of them comes and intently watches The Dog House :laugh:

Unfortunately the only consistent rescues up here are larger mixed breeds , rarely smaller dogs and they seem to get snapped up . 

Not into  yappy dogs , I think that would not be a good idea as I might be buying into a retirement village. ( I know training is the key but some just  do lol)

I'm stuck for ideas , thought of a Yorkey but apparently they get separation anxiety . Poodles ? my sister has 2 from registered breeders but still with some health and behavior issues .

Chi's , my son said they bite ( he was teasing me but yeah :)) Not bagging the breeds  , just what I know . 

Will be an indoor dog and go everywhere with me . Live near beaches and nice walking areas in Townsville so a semi active dog is fine. 

Any suggestions ?

:flower:

Australian Terrier or Havanese.  Maybe Border Terrier.  All nice dogs even though I'm a Giant dog person I rate these particular smaller breeds..  I see these breeds in the park and they are all nice and well behaved.  Not yappy.  Aussie Terriers are very hardy.

• Like 2

Why not a greyhound?

They're not known to be barkers, they're happy to be couch potatoes, they're placid and an all round good breed.... and thousands are killed every year because of the racing industry. 

If you're happy to buy a dog from a breeder, you could also look at Cavaliers, Silky Terrier, or maybe a schnauzer.

All dogs have health issues of some description. Some have more than their fair share but just like humans, there is no such thing as a completely perfect specimen. Sometimes, the temperament or other things make up for the health issues for the owner. As an example - I adore Pugs and had them my entire life (until now) and they probably top the list for health issues. I accepted it as I adore them.

• Like 6

My sister has now two Havanese (got her second a few months ago as she is so enamoured with the first) and they are the most easygoing dogs. She works super long hours and then lives a very out and about life when not working and the dogs go everywhere with them, wineries, cafes etc. They live in an apartment in the city and have a house down at the beach and the dogs are happy to be at either. Smart, easy to train, funny, solid little dogs that aren't yappy - though separation anxiety can be an issue that is something mostly that seems to be how you raise them. They seem to be a fairly healthy breed but you would need to be up for the grooming. 

• Like 3

Havanese are lovely little dogs and I have a friend with two of them, she also has Cavaliers.  The Havanese are very active and destroy all their toys within minutes even though one is about 5 now!  I have 2 Cavaliers that are like chalk and cheese in temperament - one very active and switched on (and a little highly strung) and the other very laid back and very easy to live with.  Have a think about getting a slightly older dog from a breeder that will let you have the temperament you wants.  

• Like 3

I have thought about this for myself for future.

I have Labs and Goldens and I’m positive my current Golden Retrievers would suit any age from baby to elderly, they are so super gentle and sweet. They aren’t boisterous at all. May be their lines as they are from the same lines. But I also know that I could just as easily get one who is big and strong and uses that strength to jump up or push me over or be difficult on the lead, etc. 

If you were thinking of getting an older dog, I wouldn’t put it down to any breed but rather talk to the breeder and see if that particular dog is suitable. Alternatively from a shelter although sometimes they don’t know the dog so well. 

If you were getting a puppy I’d be going with a breeder who knows how to pair their dogs to the right people and knows their lines and temperaments well. 

Some breeds I’ve thought of when I’m older are a Rough Collie - I like the larger size but more fine, they are known to be gentle, some lines have more work drive than others but generally they don’t have the strong herding instincts like some others do. Grooming wise, I personally love to brush my dogs so much and find it relaxing and a great bonding experience, but also apparently they don’t need as much as what people might first think.

I’ve also thought of the Havanese but I wouldn’t want to cut their hair so that would be a lot of grooming and even though I love it, some days I may not feel like it or their coat just may easily mat which makes the brushing not so pleasurable for dog or person. 

I think there’s pluses and minuses in all breeds and there’s also exceptions in all breeds regarding energy levels - some known to be lap dogs super energetic and some sporting breeds super lazy. But that’s an exception and better to find that in a mature dog I’d think.

• Like 3

I always had large dogs. My love was German Shorthaired Pointers. In my older age I now have Papillons.  Yes they can be a bit yappy, but other than that they are great companions.  Their coat is easy to look after, just need a brush a few times a week. They have a single coat and dont need clipping. They are energetic and love a run at the park, but are just as happy sitting on your lap. Some people call them the miniature border collie. 

• Like 2

I would first research what restrictions the retirement villages currently have on sizes etc etc in the area .
We have had to help rehome 2 dogs this year as they didnt meet the village rules or set up .
Before anyone says Crap owners these 2 homes where amazing owners & they needed to go into a suitable retirement set up for there future ,the ones they could enjoy living at had dog size restrictions & serious barking rules .The owners did the right thing even though it broke there hearts & the dogs had to go through significant change .
I will say both owners said they wished they thought about retirement home restrictions earlier .
So keep in mind if planning to take everywhere it may not do well when left alone .
I would say once you have an idea off potential restrictions then look at what will suit the criteria 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Dogsfevr said:

I would first research what restrictions the retirement villages currently have on sizes etc etc in the area .
We have had to help rehome 2 dogs this year as they didnt meet the village rules or set up .
Before anyone says Crap owners these 2 homes where amazing owners & they needed to go into a suitable retirement set up for there future ,the ones they could enjoy living at had dog size restrictions & serious barking rules .The owners did the right thing even though it broke there hearts & the dogs had to go through significant change .
I will say both owners said they wished they thought about retirement home restrictions earlier .
So keep in mind if planning to take everywhere it may not do well when left alone .
I would say once you have an idea off potential restrictions then look at what will suit the criteria 

Some retirement villages have a blanket ban on pets, not even a goldfish is allowed. 

• Sad 2

Christina 77 .  Make it easy on yourself and get exactly what you want.  Not Chi's.  All the  Chi's around here try to attack big dogs and yap constantly. 

Some pups are really hard work.  More than you want when you are older.  I am going through this atm.  Maybe ask around and try and get an ex show dog or older dog from a breeder,

Unfortunately that has been my experience with Chi's.  Perhaps it's a combination of the owners and the way they have been raised.

Maybe it's because they are purchased by people who haven't a clue about dogs let alone Chi's.  Or because it's an Inner City area.  I will say there are a lot of idiots around here who get dogs and don't know the first thing about the breeds they buy..

The retirement place near me accepts existing pets only. I've already decided I will get a generic looking lop bunny and just replace it with the same colour over and over until the end of my time :grimace:

This would also work with a Bichon Friese,  haha.  

Some of the dogs I have seen up there include cavaliers, Moodles(maltese poodle), chiXjack russel  (yappy),  Pomeranians and a very small Lhasa Apso. My 86 year old neighbour has a huntaway and another elderly lady has a big blue heeler, although neither of these are in the retirement village, they cope with their big dogs fine. The 86 year old has already said shes getting a standard poodle as her next dog. 

I love the Havanese dogs, but cant get my hands on one. So I got an oodle (mostly poodle) and she is the perfect house dog, I cant even believe how good she is with the house buns. Non shedding, no yap (a surprisingly deep bark when it does happen), active yet also very good at obeying "settle now".  I have read on these forums that more of the poodle cross dogs are in shelters over east now. In saying that, I am leaning towards my next dog being a bit more on the slow and stubborn side as the all too eager to please bouncy poodle nature is a bit much sometimes! 

• Like 3

We had a neighbour who had always had Deerhounds when she was younger.  After her husband went into a nursing home she got another Deerhound.  So here was this tiny , fragile lady well into her 80's walking the Deerhound that totally dwarfed her.  I used to see her in the park etc often with bandages in various places on her body and I would say to her "sporting injury eh".  

I always loved it that she replaced the husband with the Deerhound.  And the dog ,Hector as he was called, was huge.

• Like 1

Raising my Labrador during his puppyhood I continuously had bruises all over my arms and legs and my clothes were torn quite often. My beanie (it was winter) would be stolen by him any time I put it on. He was the happiest, most affectionate and fun dog but so much work. One day, probably when he was about six months old, the bruises stopped. Occasionally now in his older age he will accidentally give me a bruise with his exuberance. He also has a tendency to run between my legs and forcefully take me for a ride around the room as I struggle to get off him. Mostly, he is a gentle giant and so kind and loving but he’s still big and when he gets happy oh he gets so happy and has to show it. 

I’m not sure if other large dogs are like this or even other Labs? My Goldens have been in stark contrast. I still would have another Lab in a heartbeat and hope to have more before I’m too old. Perhaps an elderly Lab adopted would be different? Mine still acts like a puppy so not sure about that. 

I like the idea of a Papillon that someone suggested. They are cute dogs and look sweet. I don’t know much about them though. 

I think a lot of people go for the Cavaliers. I know they are super sweet but some I know can be barky and active. 

Just a little thought too, I remember a retired couple at puppy class who had a tiny puppy (oodle) and they said how much of a tripping hazard he is. Often they would turn around and he’d be right under them and they’d almost trip. 

On 12/08/2022 at 11:17 AM, Christina77 said:

Chi's , my son said they bite

Elderly friends of mine have had chis for years - perfect little dogs for them!! Social, settled (spoilt) not barky.....

as for the bitey bit LOL  When working at the vets my worst bite was from a chi I was cuddling for a procedure - he got me on the nose!! LOL Blood everywhere- but no stitches needed (LOTS of laughs though)I've never been allowed to forget the "dear little Chi" :laugh:  

Edited by persephone

9 hours ago, WanaHavanese said:

The retirement place near me accepts existing pets only. I've already decided I will get a generic looking lop bunny and just replace it with the same colour over and over until the end of my time :grimace:

This would also work with a Bichon Friese,  haha.  

Some of the dogs I have seen up there include cavaliers, Moodles(maltese poodle), chiXjack russel  (yappy),  Pomeranians and a very small Lhasa Apso. My 86 year old neighbour has a huntaway and another elderly lady has a big blue heeler, although neither of these are in the retirement village, they cope with their big dogs fine. The 86 year old has already said shes getting a standard poodle as her next dog. 

I love the Havanese dogs, but cant get my hands on one. So I got an oodle (mostly poodle) and she is the perfect house dog, I cant even believe how good she is with the house buns. Non shedding, no yap (a surprisingly deep bark when it does happen), active yet also very good at obeying "settle now".  I have read on these forums that more of the poodle cross dogs are in shelters over east now. In saying that, I am leaning towards my next dog being a bit more on the slow and stubborn side as the all too eager to please bouncy poodle nature is a bit much sometimes! 

my family has had many poodles, me included. sadly some lines are just that too bouncy, but none of ours were. I suspect two reasons, yes some are bred that way and from what I have heard very many these days. but .... I was asked to look after a friends girl....   gee she arrived with two pages of instructions for her diet and and founcy? yikes. 

as for food she was so picky.  put her with my boy, down went the food bowels and anything she hadn't eaten by the time he was finished , disappeared in seconds. only took her three days to twig. eat whats on offer or it disappears.  she liked to bark so was told to be quiet.  that too only took four days.  I looked after her for almost 4 weeks, by then she was as well behaved as my boy and my mums girl. nothing like the "highly strung" fruit loop that arrived.  Her owners was incredulous how calm and confidant she was.  so I suspect this breed is so smart they will train you if you dont realise it.

although the last I bought, nup, rehomed her, she was acting like the other girl at even 8 weeks old and if you left her sight she went mental screaming, literally. something seriously wrong in the attic.  she had been an impulse buy at the grace brother pet shop, I later learned her parents were crazy and thats why they sold the puppies to the pet shop, people took one look at the mad parents and left.

you really need to see the parents when you are getting a puppy, if they dont have the temperament you want, keep looking.  Ditto for Chi's,  some lines are bitey barkers.  Other lines are exactly as described by Persephone,  Elfreda lines were noted for their wonderful natures. every dog came running to be patted. any of their descendants give the breed a good name.

Edited by asal
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Deeds said:

Unfortunately that has been my experience with Chi's.  Perhaps it's a combination of the owners and the way they have been raised.

Maybe it's because they are purchased by people who haven't a clue about dogs let alone Chi's.  Or because it's an Inner City area.  I will say there are a lot of idiots around here who get dogs and don't know the first thing about the breeds they buy..

:laugh: You can't be all that far from me!

If I see one more Frenchie walked in 35 degree heat this year I'm going to lose it. 
___

Anyway, we have great owners too for sure. There's a few local chi that get walked nearby me that don't even look at you or dogs, let alone bark.

My own experience with some is that they can develop resource guarding of their owners and require effort from puppyhood to gently expose them to all sorts of things without bombarding them or forcing them.
Rescue chi have often bounced from home to pound to foster care, unpacking their baggage can take patience but it's worth it. :heart:  

I do like them as a breed, very unique. Funny and quirky. :) 

However, they also need you to stick up for their personal space ... because everyone wants to pat a cute tiny dog - so I guess in my ramblings I refer to all toy breeds suggested -  and the looming sight of a giant human coming down on them can make them very stressed and panicky. Adding to the unfair reputation of Toys biting and barking. Just IMHO. 

• Like 2

Judging by the reported dog attacks lately i.e. Centennial Park & Central Coast etc etc  the idiots & stupidity are everywhere.  And lets not mention their driving habits.  Doing u turns on double yellow lines, barging in to take your right of way , not indicating,  etc etc.  The sense of entitlement is overwhelming.  I forgot parking in No Standing Zones and obscuring visibility.  

@PowerlegsThis must sound familiar to you   I'm in IWC.