Labrador colours

Amazetl

I was wondering for those who love Labs or anyone who comes across them and has thoughts on it - what colour is your favourite and why? 

I hope to get another lab in the future and I love all colours - chocolate, black and yellow. I would have all three if I could. In my mind, choc is the cuddliest looking, black is the most that would act as a protective dog to a lot of people just through looks and their deep bark, also to me perhaps the most serious looking, and yellow labs are like sunshine. 

I don’t buy into the colours having different temperaments, I do however think some lines who produce more one colour than another might seem like some are more prone to have a certain temperament. 

I know black dogs sometimes get a bad rep and it seems it’s because they can be harder to see their facial cues quite as well and yellows look the most friendliest to strangers possibly due to being able to see their faces so well. 

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts or opinions it would be interesting to read. Thanks. 

Hope it’s ok to post this here. I figure when the time comes I will just go with whichever colour the suitable breeder has because I don’t know how I would choose for a second time. 

I prefer yellows.  I have encountered some nasty entire black males over the years .  Female blacks have been ok.  I agree with Dogsfevr that  different colours in the same breed have different temperaments.

I know that a lot of people say that the different colours have different temperaments but there are no studies to show that. I’m not saying one way or another, just that the studies lack. I do find it interesting that some people have experienced multiple of one colour being more this way or that temperament wise. 

Given that labradors can shed a bit, I'd say go for the colour that matches your wardrobe and home decor the best... *grin*

As for temperament... I'd look for a reputable breeder like @Tapua first... they breed all 3 colours with solid temperaments, so you'd be well served no matter which colour takes your fancy there.

T.

• Like 2

Thank you for the tip. I think I lucked out a bit with the shedding. I currently have a chocolate and he does shed but not that much. A couple times a year I will do a rake on him and can almost fill a bucket with his hair… I also slicker brush him every other day or as much as he can get because he loves it so much. 

I’ll have a look at them, thank you. It is really important to me to go with a good breeder who knows their dogs well and breeds for health and temperament. My current lab is bombproof, very affectionate and kind. He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body and has been great with his little puppy sister. He has a few recognisable dogs in his lines and it would be lovely to get a pup from one of his lines in some way but I also wouldn’t mind experiencing completely different lines if they fit well. 

I have only ever had chocolates before so can’t comment on experience with different colours, I only know I’ve read there are no studies to back up different temperaments of the colours but it’s interesting that so many people seem to experience this still. 

Edited to add that Tapua have quite a lot of dogs related to mine :) 

Edited by Amazetl
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Amazetl said:

I know that a lot of people say that the different colours have different temperaments but there are no studies to show that. I’m not saying one way or another, just that the studies lack. I do find it interesting that some people have experienced multiple of one colour being more this way or that temperament wise. 

Color is determined by a few genes and there's no reason to think the color genes are cross linked to temperament.   However human factors do influence color choice and may affect temperament via breeders decisions.  A century ago, yellows were (according to my mother,  b. 1923, USA) less common and considered ladies dogs.

Guide dogs likes yellows because they are more visible.

Chocolate, were extremely rare a century back.  Two decades ago they became trendy and pricey, so no doubt there was some less good breeding going on, though there were also some lovely choco studs and frozen semen imported to Oz, and some breeding for chocolates was done quite well.

• Like 1

I believe Cocker rage was found in solid gold and solid black colours. But I also believe and not sure on studies, but that a lot of it was due to overbreeding of the golden colour and people wanting the gold the most. I’m not sure where it all stands these days in the Cocker Spaniel world. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I expect you'd fine most trendy dog breeds/colors have health problems.   When prices are high, indiscriminate breeding increases, as does puppy buying by people buying for the wrong reasons.   A recent study gave Frenchies a life expectancy under 5 years

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-10341-6

Edited by sandgrubber
added reference
  • Sad 2