Vets are struggling with mental health and looking for an out

Boronia

To be perfectly honest, the entire animal industry is overworked and underpaid... I don't know of too many animal related jobs where staff don't put in copious hours of unpaid overtime, and remuneration for most of those jobs is borderline poverty line or even less... and most animal industry jobs are casual in nature, so not a lot of job/wage security, guaranteed hours of work, leave, etc...

T.

• Like 2

this has been a problem for decades, one , well a number of vets have been my friends for decades.

the mental health problems cause by the things Tdierikx are spot on and have been for a very long time, It is not a new problem although the present problems are increasingly worse if that were possible.

25 years ago my daughter after doing work experience at  vet practices realised she would never be able to cope with the stress the people she worked with were faced with every day.

People want the best outcome for their pets yet abuse the vet when costs are high.  There is no Medicare for pets, it its either you insure yourself , but abusing those caring for your pets is not acceptable.

the overheads are frightening

The stress escalates to overwhelming

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, asal said:

this has been a problem for decades, one , well a number of vets have been my friends for decades.

the mental health problems cause by the things Tdierikx are spot on and have been for a very long time, It is not a new problem although the present problems are increasingly worse if that were possible.

25 years ago my daughter after doing work experience at  vet practices realised she would never be able to cope with the stress the people she worked with were faced with every day.

People want the best outcome for their pets yet abuse the vet when costs are high.  There is no Medicare for pets, it its either you insure yourself , but abusing those caring for your pets is not acceptable.

the overheads are frightening

The stress escalates to overwhelming

No doubt about it  you work dealing with the general public , when there paying money out is stressfull   my wife had a big argument in the supermarket this week ,,  she went to the checkout  was the only one there  , putting through a large trolley of food  , apparantly she was the only one at the checkout ,,  food was  nearly all the way through and a man  stood  behind her complained   saying you people make me sick , you could of let me through ,  first i only have one item ,  , she apparantly answered sorry but you were not here when my food started to go trhough , to which he answered ,  step away from me can't you see i've got a mask on , i don't want to catch your germs , , well  sorry but he picked a fight with the wrong one ,  she apparantly let him have it , told him to bugger off to the 12 or less  items which was empty , go somewhere else with his phobias , and watch his tone of voice , who does he think he's talking too ,, bla bla bla ,, i was laughing i could just imagine it ,, she apparantly  told him he's a worthless pompous little man with phobias , and to piss off and try bullying a man  , he left .. my wife  then apologised to the checkout girl who was only a kid ,    and said    i'm sorry about that but he was'nt here otherwise i would of let him through ,,,  the girl said  no it was great , he comes in here every day and  he's always the same   but were not allowed to say anything that was great ,, she then tells the wife  , he's  the most frequent but ot the worst they have to put up with ... I was laughing whilst she told me ,,  thinking picked on the wrong one buddy ,, she's  had a houseful of males myself and 3 big burly sons she brought up ,, and she ruled this roost ,,  , her words i'm not putting up with shit from a pompous little ass hole like that who thinks he can bully people  ,   .

People in  occupations dealing with the public really go through it . mind you i will say i've not had good experiences with vets ,   i've posted before , theve charged me a fortune and never even come close to telling me whats wrong , i figured it out myself asking questions and following advice on here and elswhere ,, BUT    its not the girl in the vets fault  , i think its been the vets themselves   dis interested , and just a case of  there ya go $400 thank you NEXT

• Like 1

I've witnessed some terrible behaviour from the public at the vets.  And after one my appointment followed so I then saw how upset the vet was. 

I've also been the next customer in line at the Roads and Traffic Authority as it was at the time.  I greeted the poor customer service officer, who was clearly upset, with the biggest smile I could muster and told her that I was a nice customer and to ignore the previous one as everybody waiting sympathised with her.

I would never work in a public role if he had my life over!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The vet shortage is really biting in regional areas.  Our town used to have a 24/7 emergency vet service.  That's no longer the case.  We have no vet between 8 pm and 8 am and it's too far to drive to another town to try to find a vet.  Our vets earn every cent, they are over-worked, underpaid and under-appreciated.  I make sure they know how much the care they provide means to us, I pay the bills on time, and I understand if they're running behind due to a call out or clinic emergency case.  I just wish everyone could be as understanding and appreciative.    

• Like 2
  • Sad 1