Adding a third dog - male or female?

Snowpea

Hi, this is my first post on this forum so I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I'm keen to add a third dog to our household as we have the space, time and money (and love) to give. 

We currently have:

Senior small breed male:

Middle aged large breed female. 

The male is the boss. 

I'm not sure if another female or another male would be the best option. 

Or, is adding another dog asking for trouble? 

Opinions appreciated! 

• Like 1

As a rule, I think there is less risk of issue if the third is a male - purely because I often find 2 x bitches are more prone to ongoing fighting/squabbling (whereas 2 males tend to work out who is boss and then the hierarchy is accepted and everyone moves on).

The energy levels are potentially more of a discussion/decision point.   What are the energy/tolerance levels of your existing dogs, will there be 'escape/timeout zones' for all parties and how will the different needs of the dogs be managed.   I am sure you have thought of all of these points, but I think that would impact the gender decision quite a bit

• Like 2

Our large breed is highly active and when we've had a friends pup visit in the past she spent ages playing with the pup whereas our old boy wasn't interested. 

Our old boy is not active at all really. He's very good at being dominant (low growl get out of my spot to female, and she obeys). 

Our current dogs have their own favorite spaces, we'd have to either get a crate or have a space we can set aside for the pup to give him/her, and current dogs a break. 

Appreciate your advice! 

Edited by Snowpea
  • Like 1

It probably depends on the breed. There are many breeds that generally get along fine if both females and then there are some that don’t, same with males. Usually you go opposite sex to the most dominant dog. 

If your male is boss that is all fine but the new pup might not want to be submissive whether they are female or male. You can talk to the breeder and they should be able to recommend a more submissive pup out of the litter. Does your male like other/new dogs? Does he like pups and the size it will be? Adding a third dog changes dynamics. I just would tread carefully because if the dynamics are good now I probably wouldn’t want to rock the boat. 

I have three and some is good about it and some more difficult. It’s been a difficult adjustment for one of the older dogs and takes a lot of extra management here and there. 

However my male could have a dozen other dogs and get on with all and love it as long as he’s always mama’s first boy. 

Ask yourself why you want to add a third. If you think one will just fit in well then it’s probably not much to worry about but if you are getting the dog for something to do with you and not the other dogs then I’d just be a bit careful because it will take a lot of extra management. 

If you are set on it and your male is really dominant and isn’t great with other male dogs and your female is really submissive then I’d probably go female but try to make sure whatever dog you get will be submissive or it will try to take over the male dog and the other female will be even further at the bottom and not ‘seen’ as much. 

Just my 2 cents. 

In my experience males are better together, but then I’ve never had a dominant male. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it all depends on personality rather than sex, we have 5 females and 1 male at the moment but over the last 25 years our pack has changed as we’ve lost and added dogs and for me I would never have more than one male in the house again not because of fighting but because of them marking their territory on stuff they shouldn’t, the only serious fights we’ve ever had (and had to rehome a dog because of it) was between male and female.

• Thanks 2

In answer to your question Amazetl it's purely for my own desire that I want another dog. 

Our two are happy as they are. I just see so many dogs that needs homes (including puppies) and can't help but want to help. 

That means that we have a lot of pets (not just dogs) but of course dogs are a bit more challenging in the way that it's harder to keep them separate if they don't get along, and because they are pack animals and need to work out a hierarchy. 

Maybe I'll think about it a bit more. I need to make sure our current dogs will be happy with a new pup too. How I work that out, I don't know! 

Maybe a rescue who does temperament assessments, places carefully (a home visit to meet the crew), offers a trial period and backs their dogs up would suit? You can find your chosen breed in rescue too. Even pups and adolescents.

I'd go for one raised or in care in a similar environment to yours so they have been 'tested' with all sorts of critters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The saying 2 company 3 is a crowd is very true,bad management  & Pack management can go pear shape & the big question if it doesnt work out who goes?
We are a multi dog household with seniors to younger & its not as simple as many think.
The oldies have their needs & get more demanding in different ways in their senior years & pups need enrichment & life skills to learn independence & self confidence ,ensuring all age gaps have their needs meet is consuming when you add & often 3 dogs in the car is not able to be done .

The dominant aspect may be a red flag & even though your bitch backs off it doesnt mean that will stay that way if a confident pup comes in .
It can be done easily BUT the household has to be committed to the change in pack dynamics & needs during this time ,there is no point thinking everything will be great because there is always pros which are wonderful & the cons which are reality .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

I think it all depends on personality rather than sex, we have 5 females and 1 male at the moment but over the last 25 years our pack has changed as we’ve lost and added dogs and for me I would never have more than one male in the house again not because of fighting but because of them marking their territory on stuff they shouldn’t, the only serious fights we’ve ever had (and had to rehome a dog because of it) was between male and female.

THIS

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snowpea said:

Good points, I think I need to be very careful how I go about it, or just wait. Our  little one is quite old. I'd be loathe to make his last years stressful for him. 

Somehow I missed the bit about a senior small. 
No I wouldn't recommend upsetting the applecart. When the time comes, my above advice still stands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1