Three Aggressive Dogs Shot and Killed by Police at Broken Hill High School. ABC News 15/12/22.

Deeds

Not chipped, registered, or desexed large breed dogs... seriously... why? Used for hunting maybe?

Unfortunately, incidents like these are why our animal legislation is getting tighter and tighter... the few who can't be arsed doing the right thing when they own animals are only making it easier for those who want to reduce, restrict, or abolish animal ownership... grrr!

T.

• Like 3

These are the ones that get on the news and more people think most dog owners are irresponsible because of it, when it’s not the norm. They need some good dog stories. It could be they bred the dogs to not be chipped or maybe bought them illegally. Not registered and not desexed could be a money issue or a not going to be told what to do type of mentality. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Amazetl said:

These are the ones that get on the news and more people think most dog owners are irresponsible because of it, when it’s not the norm. They need some good dog stories. It could be they bred the dogs to not be chipped or maybe bought them illegally. Not registered and not desexed could be a money issue or a not going to be told what to do type of mentality. 

interestingly a lady at the pound told me the majority of dogs that arrive are not chipped or desexed. so the incidence is far higher than we realise.

considering it has been law since 1994.

"Section 10C of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 requires cats and dogs to be microchipped as a condition of registration (which is compulsory once the animal is 3 months of age). However the requirement to microchip prior to sale/transfer under section 12A only applies to domestic animal businesses."

a significant percentage of the population dont care a hoot.

• Like 2

@asal

A significant percentage of the population appear to be fully fledged Bogans and they definitely don't  care about anything except themselves. 

So no surprise the dogs are not registered or micro chipped.  But if these dogs came from rescue shelters wouldn't the rescue organisation micro chip the dogs before they were handed over to new owners.

• Like 1

When Hornsby council recently proposed to put forward laws to try to curb the rising number of unowned cats in the community, I was crucified in a Facebook discussion that followed for suggesting that cat owners just needed to ensure that their owned cats were microchipped and registered (and preferably desexed and contained to their own properties) to ensure that they would not be negatively impacted by the proposed laws - which basically was going to allow council to destroy unowned cats that were caught by rangers... apparently the general concensus from many cat owners in that discussion was that many cats were not chipped, desexed, or registered because of the costs to do so. Funnily enough, those exact same people were completely fine with the fact that dogs are required to be chipped, desexed, registered, and contained to their own properties... just that the same laws should not be applied to cats.

T.

• Sad 3

On 16/12/2022 at 6:34 PM, Deeds said:

@asal

A significant percentage of the population appear to be fully fledged Bogans and they definitely don't  care about anything except themselves. 

So no surprise the dogs are not registered or micro chipped.  But if these dogs came from rescue shelters wouldn't the rescue organisation micro chip the dogs before they were handed over to new owners.

I have reread the story? I cannot find anything in it to give the impression the owner sourced them from a rescue?

far as i know rescues always ensure no dog or cat leaves before it has been chipped. Think all have the desexing policy as well.  Although dog pounds do not as my vet recently bought a stumpy male from cowra pound not desexed. although was certainly microchipped and had been impounded non chipped.

as for the percentage of bogans in our population, I was stunned at how many on faceplant were adamant the dogs who killed the meter reader should not be put down for "doing their job" and even more stunned how many believed a "guard dog is trained to kill any intruder"  that "he asked for it" when he entered a property with a sign saying "enter at your own risk" ?   

So this mentality is far wider spread than I certainly realised.

Edited by asal
  • Sad 4

What’s interesting is that if you are buying a kitten/cat or puppy/dog you don’t need to pay for the chip, that’s the breeders job or person you are getting it from. Desexed and registered costs of course but there are times when they have free or reduced costs, and I can’t imagine desexing cats would cost a lot. And registering them when they’re desexed is reduced. Sounds more like excuses. If you can’t afford those couple things then don’t get one. 

1 hour ago, Amazetl said:

What’s interesting is that if you are buying a kitten/cat or puppy/dog you don’t need to pay for the chip, that’s the breeders job or person you are getting it from. Desexed and registered costs of course but there are times when they have free or reduced costs, and I can’t imagine desexing cats would cost a lot. And registering them when they’re desexed is reduced. Sounds more like excuses. If you can’t afford those couple things then don’t get one. 

its the people selling the puppies who are not chipping them, many dont even vaccinate them either.  I know because when I get asked to chip a puppy by the buyer almost without fail they dont have a vaccination certificate either.   That's the people who do want to council register their new pup and given my number by someone they know who knows me so for each one I see there must be tens of thousands probably really hundreds of thousands

who never even question should their pup have been chipped?

Edited by asal
  • Sad 1

It costs quite a bit does it not to vaccinate and chip a litter of pups? Not using that as an excuse but some oops pregnancies or ones who didn’t think it through or were unwilling to budget or pay for everything that can be involved… 

I can imagine someone having a litter and finding out that it costs so much to get these things done so lets just sell. But who do they sell to? I would have thought most would know they have to be vaccinated etc. Maybe there are plenty out there still who just don’t care. 

The only compulsory requirement when selling (or giving away) puppies or kittens in NSW is that they be microchipped before they go to a new home. It is NOT compulsory to vaccinate them... which is a bit stupid, but then again many laws are a bit ridiculous when it comes to companion animals... *sigh*

T.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2022 at 9:03 AM, asal said:

as for the percentage of bogans in our population, I was stunned at how many on faceplant were adamant the dogs who killed the meter reader should not be put down for "doing their job" and even more stunned how many believed a "guard dog is trained to kill any intruder"  that "he asked for it" when he entered a property with a sign saying "enter at your own risk" ?   

What is their opinion if the boot was on the other foot ? What if the person mauled to death was a friend or relative of theirs? 
I bet they wouldn’t think it was the persons fault then. They’d want the dogs gone wouldn’t they? 

• Like 1

These dogs were acting aggressively and hadn't bitten anyone .....yet.  And they were shot immediately.  The Police didn't take any chances.  Owning these type of dogs is permanent chancing with people and other dogs.

Councils should be stricter with compliance and enforcement.

The owner is ultimately responsible for all this, including the death of their dogs. How does one person even source and safely contain that many human aggressive dogs for the entire span of their lives? Do they never come into contact accidentally with a stranger? What about a visiting child who runs over to their cage to say hello? What if they end up in hospital - who can safely feed their dogs? Do they inspect their fences every day to ensure they are fully contained? Are these people hermits? Did they train them to be human aggressive and why?

Anyone on here who has had a dog with behavioural issues knows what a juggling act it is so owning 4 like this is a full time job. He chose to keep these 4 dogs and try and keep them hidden from authorities by not registering or chipping them. That is on him. What else didn't he do, like vet care for things outside of not desexing?

Seriously, it's like a person wandering the suburbs with a semi-automatic except they still had the safety on. No intention to shoot my arse. Why have it and why have it out in public then? Both scenario's are disasters waiting to happen. I'd like people like that charged with animal cruelty too. Their failings led to the death of those dogs.

• Like 5

You have a dog that will  chase off  maybee bite , a stranger / intruder , well  i've had one and it did , and my  attitude is and was then , GOOD he was doing his job  thats what he's there for  no different to a security dog or a police dog  has far has i'm concerned , anyone  my dog finds on my property at early hrs of the morning well stuff em ,, whats that saying I'd rather be tried by a jury of 12 than carried in a coffin by 6 .

However there is another side to the story .. my dog was well trained freindly during the day  good with strangers , but did go into gaurd mode at night and came on command . when he bit and chased the intruder  he  came back when called ,

But  if i had a dog that was   viscous and attacked  other animals  or people all the time i would'nt want to own it , i would consider it  unmanagable , and GET RID ,, I would also NEVER NEVER NEVER , own 3 or 4 of them , because anyone with half a brain knows when dogs in a pack go into attack mode , they  gee each other up   these dogs i would consider uncotrollable  and GET RID ,,