Concerned about puppy mill activity

Concernedparticipant

I have been a ‘foster’ mum to a beautiful Cockalier for 7 years. She is the love my life and she was sent 4 hours away to whelp her puppies. This is her 4th litter. She is 7 years old. I tried to push very hard for to have no more litters due to her age and the size of her previous litters. She has previously had 3 litters of 10 puppies. She is only a small dog as well. My question is, she has just given birth to her 4th litter of 11 puppies. 6 of them were deceased and from what I’m told, have been deceased for quite some time. She has a massive infection now and have been informed that she might not survive. I believe this to be inhumane and represents aspects of animal cruelty. What can I do? 

• Sad 5

I think it's a  cross between a Cocker Spaniel and a Cavalier.  They have been around for some time like the Pugaliers.    There are so many "designer"  crosses around these days it's hard to recognise one from the other .  There are even Bordoodles i.e. Border Collie/Poodle cross.

People around the corner from me had a lovely Border Collie.  After it died they replaced it with a Bordoodle that never stops barking.

• Like 1

There is nothing you can do .
You accepted  the guardianship rules most likely based on getting a cheap dog or refund after some point .The 4 litters would have been clearly stated in the contract .
Often these contracts DO NOT cover what happens if it goes pear shape but very much outlines what happens if you dont follow through on the contract .
It also often doesnt discuss medical decisions & expenses in these kinds of scenarios as ownership is two ways .
Sadly animal cruelty starts with people allowing these guardianship programmes to happen in the extreme & never asking questions first .aka why 4 litters ,what happens if litters are big ,how old is too old ,what vet checks must happen for 3/4 litter for breeding clearance .
Are they a member of a org(yes some accept crossbreeds & if so what is there COE )Have they meet the COE of the org .
What is your state law on breeding ?

I co own dogs on breeders terms but its clearly outlined ,there is the opt out & animal health first & all parties trust each other etc ,nearly 30 yrs of this method has worked well
I gather the biggest issue you have is the fact that the bitch is now at risk of passing away due to infection which could have happened with the first litter  anyway .AS a breeder myself just like humans the process can come with significant risks & lots of joy.
Breeding comes with risks that many who sign up for a dog with a good deal tend to not want to research fully .
As a breeder would we have done the 4 litter absolutely not  ,2 here is max 3 only if a breeding option comes up that is a massive betterment for the breed option in health clearance status of producing clears.

My question would be when did she go back to the breeder for whelping ?
How many ultrasounds did she have prior ?
Did she have an x ray pre whelping?
Was she sick ,acting strange or have any discharge prior to whelping??

Who is making the decisions at present & at what cost with the vet .Are both parties on the same page for expenses ,are you being involved in vet discussions & decisions & the recovery process.
Who gets the final say on heroic efforts .This would be my concern asap.

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 5

IAt this point, the primary concern should be the wellbeing of your dog. Unfortunately, the breeder might opt for euthanasia rather than paying the potentially high costs of ongoing veterinary treatment. If you can afford to pay those costs, perhaps you should ask the breeder if they will now cede full ownership to you. There may be nothing that can be done to save your dog, but there may be treatment options and the vet probably won’t discuss those options with you unless you are the owner.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 2

Think i would be making a report to the RSPCA see if they have any teeth ,, next one would be a phone call to the taxman , 36 pups at say 3 grand each  thats over 100 grand  interesting to see if they paid the tax i doubt it ,, and if they had not i'd be quite happy to own up and say i called them

• Like 1

22 hours ago, coneye said:

Think i would be making a report to the RSPCA see if they have any teeth ,, next one would be a phone call to the taxman , 36 pups at say 3 grand each  thats over 100 grand  interesting to see if they paid the tax i doubt it ,, and if they had not i'd be quite happy to own up and say i called them

surely your kidding? no teeth? since 1990's they have had "the power" to "form the opinion your pets best interests would be served by seizure and removal to their facility in Yagoona for further evaluation"  extract from a letter from Richard Amery the then Minister for Agriculture....

latest I hear is pending legislation to additionally be legally entitled to "form the opinion an animal needs to be seized as it may be at future risk".   

more teeth than a crocodile  already folks

their hands are only "tied" until they decide to strike.

Edited by asal