Border Collie kelpie mix energy level

Blue06

Hi all, I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed by my 8 months old Border collie kelpie mix. It just seems no matter what I do will never meet his energy level.

He got walk 30 mins in the morning and stay at home by himself for around 8 hours(I know he shouldn’t be leave alone for that long, I am sorry and I felt guilty), while his is alone I gave him bully sticks, frozen Kong’s and hiding some treat around the back yard.

After work I will play fetch with him for 1-1.5 hours then we will go for 1-1.5 hours walk, on the weekend I either bring him to the dog park or the beach when the weather is not too hot.

I play hide and seek, hide the treat around the house to make him sniff, roll up towels, Kong’s, puzzle games, tug of war.

Some people tell me once they reach to 1 years or 1.5 years old they will clam down a bit.

My question is, is that anything else I can do to tire him out?

I appreciate all the comments.

That very testing stage. 

Even small breeds go through it. I understand how you can feel overwhelmed with a med size working breed mix. 

Do you have decent (aka properly staffed and supervised) day care facility nearby? A couple of days a week rumbling with similar size pups can really wear them out if you can't be home and would at least give you a break. 

Working breeds need mental stimulation and while you're providing plenty of things for him to do, training is what will tire him the most.  Teaching tricks, obedience and something like scent training should help.  This link might give you some ideas.  I love the shell game idea!  https://www.puppyleaks.com/more-mental-stimulation/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Powerlegs said:

That very testing stage. 

Even small breeds go through it. I understand how you can feel overwhelmed with a med size working breed mix. 

Do you have decent (aka properly staffed and supervised) day care facility nearby? A couple of days a week rumbling with similar size pups can really wear them out if you can't be home and would at least give you a break. 

I tried to enroll him to a daycare but received a call needed to pick him up since the owner said he is too “nervous” ,was pacing and jumping over on staffs.

1 hour ago, jemappelle said:

Working breeds need mental stimulation and while you're providing plenty of things for him to do, training is what will tire him the most.  Teaching tricks, obedience and something like scent training should help.  This link might give you some ideas.  I love the shell game idea!  https://www.puppyleaks.com/more-mental-stimulation/

Thanks for the idea!  I am thinking add a bit difficultly to sniff work at home 

Your doing to much exercise for its age in regards to potential joint issue .
Walking doesnt make them tired it makes them fitter ,you will never tire out this combo ever but this combo is more than capable of having an off switch like any other dog & you will never ever reach a happy ending because this method doesnt give those results
Mind games makes the brain tired BUT teaching the pup at this age self control & self calm is how older dogs become lovely to live with .

I own  large active breeds but teaching them chill in public & at home is more important than walking ,walking & walking .
Sitting down reading a book & the dog reacting in the right way so a necessary life skill .

For starters people work dogs being home is normal nothing to feel guilty over .
There are plenty of dogs with owners home all the time that never get out the front door from week to week ,being home doesnt mean better owner.
Make walks shorter & do more training skills .Be creative with at home items .Teach spin,walking backwards is a skill that tires dogs quickly due to concentration & muscles used .
Cheap containers can be used for "find" the object ,the wheelie bins you can do weaving exercises forwards/backwards with spins.
Sit ,shake hands ,drop all things that require the brain to focus .
Exercise wobble boards teach balanCe,co ordination & focus $15 from Kmart .
These things build a relationship of focus,reward & listen but whilst having fun .

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Thanks 1

Completely understand your worry three of our six dogs are working breeds (bearded collie, kelpie and bearded collie x border collie) two of them were like your boy at the same age, I would back off on the exercise and only do a 1/2 hour walk morning and evening then do lots and lots of trick training, scent work and car trips, take your dog everywhere you can even if it’s just a 10 min trip to your local milk bar, put the windows down enough so he can sniff the air, hang in there is does get better.

• Like 3

Said on here before  i took in a 10 month old cattle dog , i walked and walked and walked that dog  , and it was never enough , took him to the dog beach every day  , i would fish off there he would spends hrs running around playing with every dog who would play with him , his favorites were 4-5 rhodesian ridgbacks ,  the lady who brought them like me got great amusement watching  him trying to round them up , but we could be 4-5 maybee 6 hrse there  get home and he would want to do it all again , In the end i gave him too my son  i just could'nt keep up with him ,my lad  and his wife were and still are avid joggers ,   plus 3 kids to play with , it took him 5-6 years to settle down , now he's has quite has a mouse , just follows the 2 year old everywhere ,  won't leave her side , then sleeps , it gets better just wether or not you can wait that long ,, he's 10 now and the only excercise he wants  is when he follows the young one around the garden , or when i take my 8 year old dog around  and he'll play for 10 minuites  other than that he's now a couch potato .. Its going to take time

Some of these posts have reminded me what my last cattle dog was like.  We would go for long bush walks, he would have a 20 minute 'power nap' and be ready to go again!  Fortunately he was also very happy to just be near me and would settle if I did.

• Like 3