Family Boarded Their Dog for Training. The Dog Never Made it Home.

Deeds

We don’t know what went on, however it does say that the dog hadn’t eaten for 4 days before the trainers notified them. 4 days. That’s a lot to not be notified by. 

One thing I noticed though, he went to the vet the day before going to the training facility and was said to be healthy, but did they give him any medication or injections there or worming/flea medication that sort of thing? Could any of that have done something as it has to some dogs? The trainers said he was skinny to begin with, why? Was he not fed enough or did he have some problem that he wasn’t putting on weight to begin with? Why was he suddenly reported to be enjoying himself and doing well and then the next day went so down hill so fast? 

I also don’t like that the trainers apologised and offered to cover vet costs but told them not to share it with anyone. How can you trust reviews if you only get to see good reviews? 

There are lots of questions and I’m sure two sides to the story and then the truth. Regardless though, I think the trainers should have notified the family earlier. I don’t agree with these training facilities at all and there have been many stories around the world of these things happening there, as well as dogs who have spent the majority of time there in a small crate. Not saying that’s happened here but I wouldn’t trust someone else to train my dog for me, plus no bond built between you and the dog etc. It’s better to get a trainer in at your home or go to classes with your dog. 

It’s very sad what has happened and I hope they find out exactly what did happen. Just very sad reading that story, poor doggy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes that could be, but the trainers have used it as an excuse to why the dog seemed so skinny ‘he was like that already’. Despite not eating for 4 days. I hope more information will become available soon. 

On the video included in the posted link the Vizla looked like a perfectly normal 14 mth old dog. As well it had a Vet checkup before it was sent to the Training Facility and given a clean bill of health.  

And as Vet Rob Zammit also said on the same video "a professional trainer should have recognised the dog was sick after not eating for 4 days and contacted the owners to come and get the dog as it was obviously not working for the dog".

Even when these facilities have good reviews one has to be so careful whom you leave your dog with .

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, coneye said:

Who trains these trainers , what qualifications can you get

There are courses like NDTF and Delta but qualifications aren't compulsory if you want to setup as a trainer.

They are only regulated by current companion animal acts, boarding laws (if they run from kennels) and cruelty laws. All the regs that apply to everyone.

So in answer, nobody trains them except themselves and their own motivation to improve. 

Veterinary Behaviourists are fully qualified.  

• Sad 2

Outsourcing is the fashion. And, unlike (I would hope) your local dog training club, a person in business would be less likely to say "just needs more exercise". What young Vizsla doesn't?

The trainer's website has the option of an initial consult I assume to decide on classes or board and train.

Also has a button

"turn my dog into an attack dog"

Their Facebook page has some comments and a [press release? legal statement?] Too small for me to read on this phone with these glasses!

Edited by Mairead
  • Sad 2

I agree with the comment regarding the autopsy. Vizulas are prone to bloat, which comes on suddenly, so it's entirely possible that this wasn't avoidable.

If he really had eaten nothing for four days, then an earlier discussion would have been better, but I'm a bit suspicous that may have been just reduced appetite, which wouldn't  be uncommon for a stressed dog. It may have had nothing to do with him later becoming sick - the dog had seen a vet and sent back to the traiing faciltiy between those four days and becoming  seriously unwell, after all.

• Like 2

Websites very similar

More info on Gold Coast facility on the change petition site. Autopsy results pending. 

Not much info on the Sydney change petition site but people still "sign".

NB I'm not promoting these petitions in any way

Edited by Mairead

1 hour ago, Tempus Fugit said:

The article is behind a paywall. To reproduce it here would get the admins in trouble for breach of copyright.

That makes sense :) thank you. 

14 hours ago, Deeds said:

I note the the 2 facilities named in both articles are in Sydney Elite Performance K9 and Elite K9 Resort at Nerang.  Wonder if they are connected.

The article says they are owned by the same people. It does not elucidate further than saying that the dog on the Gold Coast collapsed while at the facility and was taken to a vet, but sadly died before arriving there. It doesn't say when this occurred - recently, or during the summer months, which would be more likely if the dog (that looks to be a Frenchie?) collapsed due to heat issues endemic to that breed.

The article goes further, by saying that RSPCA QLD have told complainants that matters at the boarding facility are the responsibility of council - does not say whether RSPCA QLD have inspected the facility at any point, but mentions that barking complaints are not RSPCA purview.

More than half of the article is a dissertation of the Sydney dog death, including the public statement that facility has released regarding the incident.

Overall, the story is short on any actual detail, but heavy on speculation and condemnation... trial by media if you will...

T.

• Thanks 1