The Least Expensive Super Premium Food

Thats the thing about foods optimiun gave our dogs the runs,they lost alot of weight & condition ,supercoat a lost cause hills i cant feed due to an ingredient that could be an issue with my breed.Royal canine is now available through a stockist here in WA but for the price we found there was no difference in the dogs compared to eukanuba,i guess where lucky through our business we can get the breeders bag eukanuba 20kg for $75,Bonnie we have found works well with the kennels but they changed an ingredient in the bonnie performance so we no longer use it as it affected the dogs

Optimum and the previous name they had caused a lot of problems in my cats, and then when I calculated, it actually was costing me more to buy the smaller bags than buy an 18kg bag of Iams...

Bonnie we have never had a problem with...it's been a long time since we have used it though...

Mel

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get good results with Advance (chicken) and for frequent buyers they have a card whereby you buy 5 or 8 bags (seems to vary with where you buy it and it is tied to the store) and get the next one free.

Bonnie has actually bought back the chicken variety and apparently does not give the runs like the working.

Mel Optimum used to be in a dark green bag called, damn now I have forgotten, if I remember I will post.

Hi again Dave, forgot to say that the preferred customer deals you get with some outlets is worth it - with Eukanuba it is every 10th bag free - so add that into the price. My boy maintains his 29kg weight on 2 cups per day and some RMB. Less poop and farts are an added bonus :rolleyes:

Guest magnum

Great premium foods that are not that costly are:

Pedigree Breeders Performance(made with chicken) around $38.00 18kg

Pedigree Optimum (made with chicken or Beef) around $60.00

For my GSD's that are in full show work I use Advance Energy, the others are on Breeders Performance or Optimum & find the dogs are in excellent condition.

have had no problems with "the runs" or skin, weight condition..

Great products :rolleyes:

ive tried barf aswell and my dogs love it but my vet told me to stop the barf or my puppy amstaffs bones wouldnt grow properly

There's a reason for that - your vet WANTS you to spend a lot of money on his expensive kibble!

Honestly, my Boxer pup is growing ever so nicely on a raw diet, there have been plenty of Great Danes reared on BARF, so why would it be so bad for an Amstaff? I know plenty of people, on the other hand, that have fed nothing but kibble and their dogs suffer a range of bone problems. BARF is one of the best things you can do for a pups bones because it is natural and the pup grows at a natural rate, many kibbles create more problems than they prevent :rolleyes:

I feed my dogs on Bonnie Complete and the pups on Supercoat Puppy. I did prefer Bonnie headstart, but they replaced that with Bonnie Puppy but I didnt like that as much.

I do not like Eukanaba or Hills Science Diet as I think they are way too overpriced.

I just know some people that have used those brands and the dogs have skin allergies and bowel problems and all sorts of things going on.

My old crossbred dog who is approaching 15 and apart from the signs of old age has only ever been fed on things like chum, pal (whatever was basically on special at the shops), table scraps and yes, even cooked bones.

Back in the days when thats what dogs were fed on. He doesnt or hasnt had any weight problems, skin allergies, bowel problems ........nothing.....just the signs now of old age creeping up quickly.

Now he gets fed Bonnie complete but only cos thats what the labbies get. Or cos hes old he'll get dog roll or whatever he wants (cos hes old).

Each to their own I guess !!

Bonnie headstart is no longer available as they replaced it with the Bonnie puppy.

I get all my dog food from my local produce store as its cheaper than any of the pet food stores. But I also find some pet shops also stock it. The big chains only seem to stock the dearer dog food.....I guess they make more money on it.

Edited by MissMonaro

I no longer buy it so I couldnt tell you the price. I do know a bag of Supercoat puppy just cost me $33.00.

Bonnie puppy does them up until they are 12 months of age, so yes you could feed it to both of your dogs.

I don't see why you can't feed it to your dogs as well as the BARF diet. I don't feed BARF at all.....well not as such. My dogs gets all table scraps and leftovers out of the fridge as well as bones to chew on, so I guess in some ways thats a kind of BARF.

But as I have labradors they are closely monitored for any weight gains.

Except the other night....the dam horse knocked the dogs feed bucket over - would of had about 5 kg of dog food in it....not anymore. A couple of fat doggies that night that didnt get any food.

From personal experience i have found that Proplan and Eagle Pack are the cheapest premium food around here, they are currently being fed Science Diet as it was on special but once i finish this will start buying Eagle Pack which they love!!

Is it true that because the premium brands are better and hold more nutrients then less is needed to be fed, so overall it is cheaper to buy a more expensive brand as it will last longer?

I was told this and thought it was true but no one has mentioned it here :o