Fun With Barf

We've been feeding BARF for around a month now - finally getting into the routine after making the switch from kibble and dog stew.

Every Saturday morning OH drives into town to do the chores, which includes picking up a 10 kilo box from the local chicken butcher shop. Once he gets home I have the task of dividing all the necks up into their portions for the week.

This is normally one of those "pleasantly" dull jobs - you know the ones where you can just let the mind drift while automatically continuing on with the task?

So here I am happily daydreaming while packing the necks - until I reach into the box and grab a neck - BY IT'S HEAD! :laugh:

Normally I don't associate the necks to the actual chickens too much - but this freaked me out. I kept going, oh so delicately after that, only to find a second neck with head attached :worship:

See - life's never dull when you BARF (or maybe I just need to get one of those "life" things :thumbsup::laugh: )

I'm going to be oh so cautious with the necks in future... :worship:

Cheers,

Trace

I took my dog for a walk with my neighbour riding her horse. We stopped at a farriers on the way back to get one of the horses shoes checked and he offered me a bone for my big dog. I said 'great, he'd love that' and off he went to get the bone. When he came back it was half a horses leg with the hoof and fur still attached. They get them from people that have had to put down horses and his apprentice uses them for shoeing practice. I would have felt stupid if I had said no because of the fur so Beau carried it all the way home. It was in my backyard for a day until I could stand the sight of it no longer!

Arh Oh 'twas a Lucky Dip !!! Trace... you got a bonus oh well the fur kids did :thumbsup: (yuck)

I used to go to Burns Knackery many years ago with a friend and she would also get horse legs for her dogs but at least they were fur free..

Guest cloverfdch

My dogs love it when we find "Extra's" :worship:, we often find chicken hearts in their chicken pieces, mind you this is human grade food from the supermarket :thumbsup:.

I have yet to come across heads though.

Normally I don't associate the necks to the actual chickens too much

I also don't associate the necks (or drumsticks, etc) with the actual chicken - I prefer not to think about it or my dogs would have to live on carrots (same goes for us). I would not be impressed to find heads although the dogs wouldn't know the difference...oh yuck...

and as for the horse leg with fur and hoof, OMG - I would probably have ditched it as soon I was out of sight of the farrier except I'd feel too ill to pick it up...extra yuck... ;)

:laugh: oooohaarrrggg, my guys decided to 'self serve' with a 'fresh' barf meal this morning, some silly bunny rabbits must have hopped into the dog yard, I didnt hear a thing, but came out to bunny giblets & fur everywhere! especially very yummy, were the bits they'd saved for later on, all tucked up nicely in the doggie doonas ;) and I really did not enjoy finding two bunny heads at the back door....

the dogs looked pretty happy with the carnage though.... :laugh:

and for the bunny-philes out there, these were feral rabbits!

fifi

and I really did not enjoy finding two bunny heads at the back door....

You meanie...they were only trying to share their good fortune! :laugh:

Sounds like my old Devon Rex cat though. He used to get VERY upset when people would react negatively to his carefully bestowed gifts of chicken wings and necks in unzipped handbags.

He didn't give them to just ANYBODY you know!! ;)

gave the dog a whole pigs head once... hacked off the ears and the fatty bits (they went to the next doors little piranhas) and she got the rest. After talking to it for a while she spent nearly 4 days munching on it. She gnawed it all the way to bare bone, not a shred of meat left! boy was she quiet the whole time hehe

Mind you my vegetarian bf walked into the back yard when I first bought it and all I hear is "AHHHHH why is there a HEAD IN THE BACKYARD" :thumbsup: