First Aid For Sore Paw?

kamuzz

Robbie our springer spaniel is chewing on his back foot on and off.

There doesn't seem to be anything stuck in it, like a thorn, and it has no obvious injury.

However, the skin appears to be red and inflamed.

He is not limping on it.

Can anyone suggest first aid to help soothe it down or what else to check for?

He has no history of allergies or such like.

But he does had a bad habit of sticking his front paws under the fence so Tessa next door can chew them. Stitches in one, staples in the other, and a vet bill over $900 so far. :rofl:

Therefore we'd like to stop this being a vet case if possible.

BTW Jess the dobe in this photo is our current foster from Cordelia's Canine Rescue

post-22-1123925845.jpg

My dad's BC cross had a paw with the same symptoms. She had a fungal condition that was treated with antibiotics and a daily foot soak for 10 minutes in a weak solution of Malaseb and warm water, no rinsing. So maybe give the Malaseb a go if you have some on hand.

I found it impossible to get my GSD to soak his feet in a Malaseb solution for 5 seconds let along 10 minutes.

The easier way for him was to wet his feet, roll him on his back and squirt a little Malaseb on his feet and massage it around (he will lay on his back and have his feet massaged for hours :champagne: ) - I then just rinsed his feet off.

Dry the feet well (hairdryer set on low works for my boys) and then rub in some papaw ointment (red tube or tub from chemist).

The easier way for him was to wet his feet, roll him on his back and squirt a little Malaseb on his feet and massage it around (he will lay on his back and have his feet massaged for hours :champagne: ) - I then just rinsed his feet off.

This sounds like a much easier method - did you squirt Malaseb on neat (seeing as his paws were wet already)?

Last night I sprayed some Stopsitch on the paw, thinking at least the taste of the teatree oil might discourage him from chewing it. This morning it is looking better.

Is this likely to be an allergy type thing seeing as only one paw is affected?

Be careful with Tea tree preperations. Whilst it can be good for some things, it should never be used on already raw/inflamed skin as it ca burn and cause further irritation.

Imflamol cream should fix it. I have some here if you want to try it. :champagne:

Be careful with Tea tree preperations. Whilst it can be good for some things, it should never be used on already raw/inflamed skin as it ca burn and cause further irritation.

Ooooooh - now that I didn't know.

I bought the product when I had a bird with an injury. That certainly would have classed as "raw/inflamed" skin as he looked like he'd been hen-pecked. We took him back to the breeder who suggested stopsitch as the "best first aid" product for all avian injuries.

Fortunately Robbie's paw seems to be all better now - maybe he just need some encouragement to stop chewing it.

Thanks for the Malaseb hints - very handy.

To Kamuzz my staffy has another problem with his paw found it last night red lump inbetween the toes wants to lick and under the paw red .He keeps getting these lumps and the red sore paw .l dont know if it is a bite or a reaction from weeds but l just put some apple cider vinegar on it to stop the licking (l think he is starting to like the vinegar) and a sock.It is raining today and he is so bored he wont let me type on the computer.

l was given a cream from the vet Conofite (topical antifungal agent for dogs cats and horses. Will have to wait and see if the lump comes to a head ,burst then clears up. They keep coming back and l dont know what causes them.

Thanks for the info on the tea tree oil l didnt know it had to be diluted

let me know how the red soreness goes in the paw and if you found some treatment.

cheers goldy

Edited by goldy

• 3 weeks later...

My dog has the same problem. All of his feet are red and he's licking them but he's not limping at all. I thought it might be from the damp grass on our early morning walks or the change of season, he's never had it before. I've been applying the Pawpaw ointment and I think this is helping but I may have to take him to the Vet. Can you buy Malaseb over the counter or do you have to get the Vet to give it to you? I've never heard of it.

Edited by Tiggy

Can you buy Malaseb over the counter or do you have to get the Vet to give it to you? I've never heard of it.

Hi Tiggy, Yes you can buy Malaseb at your vets over the counter :cry:

LB - all I could suggest is thorough drying of Godzy's feet and in between his paws after going outside, but I'm sure you're already doing this. Little cotton booties sounds like the way to go with your boy as I know you have tried everything else :D

Yes Dru you are so right I am doing this. I also have even put Petroleum Jelly on his paws before going out. Which does help they do that in snow.

I have seem some lovely lace up booties on e-bay hmmmmm.

I have to try it as he is wonderful for grooming till you get to his feet and now round his claws his skin is bald and thick.

Boy I wish he had hybrid vigour.

Any reason why you should rinse and dry after applying Malaseb ??

I was thinking of dipping Zuess's paws when I put him outside in the mornings.

But I did not want to go mucking around rinsing and drying at 4-30 am in the morning.

Ash..