Whos Gets There Dogs Shots Every Year

my vet says they need there shots.but whos gonna trust a vet..does anyone else get there dogs shot every year or not...cause alot of people say you dont need to once they have had there first 3 shots and then there booster one year later there is no need for anymore..and some even say its bad for there liver..can someone please help

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do, have never had any problems. In my case though it is compulsory as I attend obedience clubs and also go to shows so they are in contact with a lot of dogs and it consider it a much higher risk to not vaccinate, especially now with so many dogs not being vaccinated. Personally if I did not vaccinate and one of my dogs caught parvo/distemper etc I would not be able to forgive myself

I do for I go to shows, board my bitches in season and I work with dogs all day and at the pound where some months Parvo runs rife. I also leave my work shoes out the front .Maybe I am just weird.

All ours get their shots each year. We wouldn't dream of missing any. Even with having their shots our two oldest ones still managed to get a mild case of Kennel COugh but it would have been much worse if they hadn't had their shots.

Actually...i've seen dogs with C5 vacc's get worse cases of KC then dogs with only a C4 vacc. KC is like the human flu...you might have the vacc for a certain strain or two but not for all of them...and the strains tend to mutate or something..lol.

My older dog has been getting his vacc's for his 9 odd years and is now starting to fade a little so i'm not putting his system thru any more injections. My younger dog, after his 1st booster shot, will probably go on the incoming 'once every three year' regime.

As long as the prevailing idea is for yearly boosters I must follow it (kennel licence says so, membership to certain organisations also requires it). I do not believe yearly is nessecary, so would prefer to titre test and only vacc. when needed but it's just not available yet.

I do not believe the KC vacc does any good, so only give C3s.

All of my dogs get their full puppy course of vaccinations and their first annual booster, and that's it! I have followed this regime since 1980, when I did a lot of research into the effects of vaccines on people and animals and made an informed choice.

My dogs have been exposed to distemper and parvo, with no infection. They have caught kennel cough from charming fellow exhibitors bringing infected dogs to a show, but it was fixed in 2 days thru use of a homoeopathic remedy. I have shown up and down the eastern seaboard and used simple commonsense measures of hygiene and disease prevention, and kept the dogs' immune systems as strong as possible at all times.

I have not had to worry about boarding kennels, as I have always had a housesitter who personally knows each of my dogs. It is not logistically (or financially) possible to board up to 15 dogs at a time :thumbsup:

The new vaccination protocols now appear to back me up. Far too many dogs suffer terribly through vaccinosis or over-vaccination (2 separate conditions). I have seen dogs get kennel cough days after excessive vaccinations (2 in a month) administered by a vet who refused to take the owners word that their 7yo dogs had a full history of vaccination!

There is a lot of research out there on this topic, easily accessible, for people to make up their minds either way. But to simply not vaccinate thru laziness and not take extra precautions as to the dogs health is inexcusable.

I have vaccinated my dogs every year up to now. As they're not yet 4 years old yet, that's not many vaccines! After reading the pros and cons of annual vaccines, I now plan to vaccinate every 2-3 years. The reason I looked into this is that my one dog is now epileptic and I have read that annual vaccines could stress a weak immune system. I would like to have them titered but don't know where to get this done yet.

No, I vacc every 3 years. Although while I was working at the pound and vet clinic, I vacc'ed annually, to high a risk from me being around parvo infected dogs.

My old boy is 10yrs, I won't have him done again.

A vet I used to work with said annual vacc's are not necessary, it is a good reason to get people in the door once a year, so they can give the dog a check up, as a lot of people don't go to the vet untill something is really wrong, having a yearly check up with the vacc allows the vets to pick anything up and treat it before it becomes a major health concern.

Besides, vets rely on the vacc income.