Whos Gets There Dogs Shots Every Year

I don't vaccinate mine every year either - have recently titre tested my 3 year old maremma - she still has the necessary coverage in her system - she won't be vaccinated again. My 10 year old will never be vacciated again. My young springer 14 month old has just had her last shot and that's it for her too. My other maremma will have one more shot after his puppy shots and will be titre tested next year.

Cheers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to vaccinate Chelsea, she still is very young anyway... but aside from that she does get boarded a lot and attends clubs etc.

Cougar probably wont be getting any more now (he's 11) ... my Mum's vet actually advised her to stop vaccinating her 11 year old JRT as he didn't need it.

Go to the breeders forum where a dol member asked about yearly vaccinations until I read that I was having yearly.

I just put in vaccinations in the search area.

I had looked at all the forums but that had some great replies including facts.

At least one drug company in Australia has already ammended the registration of their vaccine, and now reccomend 3 yearly boosters instead of annual.

There has been much research into the vaccination issue and it is now believed that it is not necessary to do them annually.

As has already been posted here we have had many discussions on DOL abou this and a search will bring up lots of info and links.

Guest cloverfdch

I do as we attend Obedience/ Flyball/ Herding/ Dog park year round, the Ob clubs have to see Vacc certificates for you to attend :thumbsup:. Hopefull Titre testing will be more readily available in the coming years and that our club will accept that.

My Mums little dogs dont get done every year, about every 2nd year for them and they are fine.

I will be planning to vaccinate every three or so years after the first years booster. Hopefully with an increase availability of titre testing the necessity for vaccination will be kept to an absolute minimum and state of health as high as is possible. The law (Victorian at least) is that dog that attend boarding kennels and training establishments (even if a 1on1 at the dog owners home - how silly!!!) have their full C5 each year. I recently enquired with the department of primary industries in Victoria as to whether there could be a change to this law considering the available evidence and that the major vet hospitals in America are now adopting a 3yr booster scheme. I got a reply asking what my motives/reasons for this were. I responded with some of the evidence and directing them to some useful websites and they eventually responded that they would look further into the matter by contacting the AVA and also the producers of the vaccinations as well. I will be following this up (several times I'm sure) to hopefully get a result. I urge anyone who feels the same to contact (email, letter, call etc) their state department for natural resouces and environment and query the law and ask for the change. The more people asking the more likely it will happen.

Cheers

Does titre testing only check for parvo? My problem with this anyway is that it only tells you what the protection is at the time of the test.

I dont vaccinate my dogs anymore after my Staffy had a major reaction leaving her with a very bad immune system and a skin condition that is still having a very negative effect on her life.

Titre testing is good, however I havent done this either as what it actually shows is whether there are any antibodies in the system at the time of the test. If your dog hasnt been vaxed for say 3 or 4 years he may show up with no antibodies - this does not mean however he can not produce them if they are required.

Antibodies are produced when the body is required to fight a disease - if the disease is not present and no 'left over' vaccinations are present then no antibodies will show. The cells 'remember' and if the immune system is in good shape, when the risk of disease comes, it should be able to produce the required antibodies.

I have done my research and I guess while some people think they are risking their dog's health if they dont vaccinate - I think it is risking their health to vaccinate.

I received this link today which I found quite interesting http://www.newvaccinationprotocols.com/5%2...munology%20.htm it is not an 'anti-vaccination' site but instead facts on immunology. It does show that the only reason vaccinations were ever recommended to be done yearly was for convenience - for vet to do health check ups and for the client to remember easily. There was no scientific reason for it.

Jen

I am a strong believer in vaccinating puppies and yes the dogs first annual vaccination after that...

As one who works in rescue all our dogs are C5 vaccinated before they go, but then it is up to the owner...

I don't vaccinate after the dog is two years old, unless there is some reason for it...

My Tia is turning 9 this year, the last time she was vaccinated would of been when she was 12 months old...

Mel

We vaccinate our pups. We only have had one bitch that was revaccinated and she is the only one with cronic skin problems. All the others are fine. I have tried to contact the department of primary industries and try and get things changed so it isn't law for boarding kennels but suprise suprise no reply!! anyone know how to kick public servant arse ??

I vaccinate every year cause Ty goes to kennels reguarly :thumbsup:

I have to share though (i was a vet nurse in my young days) we had a outbreak of Distempter that lasted a few months and i remember it wiping out so many dogs :( , dogs that were only a short time over their vaccination dates were being wiped out.... It would have to be one of the worst things i saw in my time :p

I have to share though (i was a vet nurse in my young days) we had a outbreak of Distempter that lasted a few months and i remember it wiping out so many dogs :thumbsup: , dogs that were only a short time over their vaccination dates were being wiped out.... It would have to be one of the worst things i saw in my time :(

Thats a bit strange as it has been proven that vaccinations last much longer than a year. (Veterinary Association say 3 years, but its more like 7-10 years)

Sounds to me like these dogs that were 'wiped out' were never protected by the vaccination in the first place.

When did this actually happen Chris64?

Jen

Edited by Jenny Wareham

Would be around (scratching my head trying to remember) 15 odd years ago maybe longer.... You might be right maybe there was something wrong with the vaccines etc it....

I dont agree dogs need to be vaccinated every year but have to do it :laugh:

It is difficult if you need to kennel your dog alot. I am very lucky in the fact that my dogs dont need to go anywhere that would ask for vaccine certificates.

Out of interest, since the AVA are advising vets to change vaccination schedules to 3 yearly, do you think this will filter through to kennels etc? I suppose it could take a while. :laugh:

Jen