Road Kill

And skewing off topic a little [sorry]... - but another reason to check roadkill - not only for freshness if you're prepared to turn it into cuisine de la dog, but also for small inhabitants...

Exactly, i always check any pouches of dead animals incase of this as my mum rears injured wildlife and told me to always check. At the moment she has a baby wombat (actually he is 300gms) and four baby roos in a compound who were from the mothers been run over.

But there is no way id pick up any dead animal on the side of the road that stinks to high heaven and put it in my car to take home for the dogs.

Edited by Pitchick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cloverfdch
Most rabbit diseases such as myxo don't transfer into other animals (it's some parasites you need to watch for);

Thanks for that, i was wondering about myxo. Clover caught and killed a myxo rabbit a while back, but did not eat it and i was wondering if they could get sick from them. The vet did not know :D.

Does cat kill count? My cats often catch rabbits, often quite large ones, and the dogs eat them. Doesn't seem to have done the dogs (or the cats) any harm.

The person worst affected is me, when I find whatever that organ is that is never eaten behind the kitchen door, with just a sad pair of ears to let me know another bunny has gone to that great warren in the sky.

I'll rescue any baby bunnies (or rats or mice or lizards) that come in alive, but once they're dead I figure the dogs might as well eat them.

My biggest, rabbit-hunting cat did end up with an infestation of rabbit fleas on his ears, but a bit of a rub over with Frontline fixed that.

Well, those same wild rabbits are shot, dressed and sold at the butchers (for a fortune!). But, you should check them before feeding them whole (as sidoney has mentioned).

In the US we used to regularly collect roadkill deer for the wolves (people used to ring and tell the facility about fresh kills - most often the police). Most places there needed a special permit to collect roadkill.

Not in Queensland I can assure you. I just bought a rabbit again yesterday it was stamped with red dye and also marked "farmed" rabbit.

When I bought the first one a year ago I was amazed how white the meat was and how fleshy it was.

I vaguely remembered that they had dark flesh. ;)

Also bought duck and the rabbit for the dogs was more expensive.

Most of the people around here where im living now go roo shooting every night (roo's are a pest in this area, and there are 10000000's of them!)

they cut the legs and tails off the roo's they shoot and feed em to their dogs..

I asked about the worms too, and they said only time you gotta worry about worm is when its dry. Apparently when the area is nice and lush with plenty of vegetation the roo's arent infected by worms...

these guys have been doing this for years and years and all their dogs have never gotten sick by it..

I have a friend who lives in the Country and her dog is forever bringing home rabbits he has 'caught' ... she knocks em on the head, skins them and cooks them up for his dinner. I don't know if cooking them makes any difference but I will ask her and let you know !!

All sounds YUK to me but he loves his Rabbit Stew ....

eewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

;)

Not in Queensland I can assure you. I just bought a rabbit again yesterday it was stamped with red dye and also marked "farmed" rabbit.

When I bought the first one a year ago I was amazed how white the meat was and how fleshy it was.

Nope, no wild rabbit in Qld and they take great pains to keep it that way. Keeping pet rabbits is illegal up there too (I am a born and bred Queenslander BTW ;) )

Wild rabbit is darker, leaner and usually smaller than farmed rabbit. Farmed rabbit looks a little more like chicken and tends to have more fat. You would never confuse wild rabbit with chicken (it is definitely a 'game' meat). One of my cats will only eat wild rabbit. Refuses to touch the farmed stuff. The dogs dont mind the farmed stuff which is good as I have a source where I can get that for a cheaper price. My dogs in fact have farmed rabbit for dinner tonight :rofl:

;) yep, here too, I always move the bodies, check pouches, and check in case they are still alive too.

Totally agree with the scavengers thing too, I once came over the crest of a hill, huge roo body in the middle of the road, with THE biggest and most beautiful wedge tailed eagle sitting on it having a snack!! I braked hard & just managed to miss them. I pulled over and dragged the carcass way off the road, with a very annoyed wedgie hopping behind, hanging on to some yummy entrails....HE was not giving up his feast to me! finally he hopped onto a fallen tree and watched me carefully as I managed to drag the poor old roo a way of the road side, he then happily returned to his feasting!! I think he was only a young eagle, and they are often the first to get hit, because they are hungry and not very world wise!

fifi

back home in vic, there is a stretch of road where the roos cross each morning and arvo. they are a huge pest there, and most people know to be careful driving... but so many get hit.

Driving one day we found a roo who had just been hit, his back was broken and he was in pain and stress. We drove to the nearest farmer's house, knocked on the door and asked if he had a gun, could he go and put the roo out of its misery..

He said it must have only just been hit, as he had already "Done the morning run" where he goes along and puts all of the roos out of their misery after the morning trucks have gone through...

Its illegal for him to do so - RSPCA would have him up on charges for animal cruelty and he has been warned before - but tell me what is worse... having someone come along and shoot an animal that has no hope and dies instantly... or calling up the RSPCA/Vet to wait over an hour or two for someone to come and give it a needle.

give me the bullet any day...

Never seen so many rabbits in my life :rofl: crossing the Hay Plains one night on the way to SA.. we ran over so many no way could we dodge them :o they ran in front ,under and beside ,in daylight the truck looked as though

it had been part of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre ;)

Edited by griff

Glad I am not the only one who does it. I agree though fifi moving them onto the side also helps the animals/birds that eat the dead animal.

I have a baby brushtail possum that I found on the weekend in mums pouch. If I hadnt of stopped she would have been killed.Took mum onto the side of the road and promised her I would look after her baby. Might be nuts to most people but I wouldnt have it any other way. My kids do the same thing and stop to get lizards off the road sunning themselves.

I would rather they did that than run them over like some teenagers would.

Unfortunately dead and injured roos are a common sight around Canberra and the region. Where I work we have roos grazing around the carpark and paddocks/bushland around the building (we even have echidnas inn the garden right outside the door!) Unforunately their close proximity means they also cross busy roads. We have a wildlife carer in our office and it is not too unncommon to have a young wobbly joey taking its exercise in the hallway :kissbetter:

I go out bush all the time for work and much of that on dirt roads. See many road kills, mainly roos but also snakes, lizards and some cattle. Thankfully so far I have never hit one and they have all been obviously dead.

Eagles are a real challenge. I ALWAYS slow right down when an eagle is on the kill. They are always very protective, take forever to take flight, always into the wind and they are in pairs. This year is a good year so there are many pairs. Many tourists lose their windscreens, many eagles lose their lives :)

I also slow down for cattle (especially calves)camels, donkeys and brumbies - lots around at the moment and all totally unpredictable.

Rabbits are often baited around here and there are signs about so the locals don't eat rabbits. Mind you many of the camp dogs are so hungry they will eat anything :kissbetter:

The local people go out hunting and bush tucker is very important. Don't cook the roos etc long enough for me though

Just a few observations

Cheers

Erica