Hills Science Diet

gossco57

I'm not big on HSD...but it's only a personal preference...if i was going to be feeding dry food to little dogs i'd be going with either Royal Canin, Eagle Pack or Iams....Iams however looks a bit dry and doesn't smell as 'tasty' but my older large type dog is doing well on the oldfart mix :)

ETA - Not all dogs do well on all food...even the premium brands...say with my two at home..one might do great on RC but the other may do better on something else. So i'd say if you dogs are doing great on a type of food then stick to it. But if you feel you want to change it buy one of the smaller bags and slowly swap them over and see how they go..you might have to buy a couple of the small bags of which ever brand so that you get a good idea of which food they do best on.

Edited by KitKat

Beansy's vet recommended Hills Science but Beana isn't a fan. She'll eat it if nothing else is on offer but she'll only eat a little bit. I'm actually planning on a change to see if we have any more luck with that.

Edited to add that Beansy is a dog who will eat bird poo so the Hills must be pretty bad....

Edited by newby0005

I use the Hills teeth cleaning bickies ('Oral Care') and they seem to like them - including mum's dogs. They are a bit bigger than your average tiny kibble. I use them as a stopper on the small kongs every day :) I have also tried the sensitive stomach and they all liked that so I doubt taste will be an issue.

The Eukanuba Iams people (seems related because they share a stall at shows) tell me the Iams is the 'cheaper' version of Eukanuba. Have tried it but I liked Purina better for a healthy coat etc IAMS looks pretty dry...

Edited by Ginger's mum

Until he got sick, Ollie always had a home cooked diet...

Now he has HSD - UD for kidney and bladder stones... So far so good, all urine samples have been really good...

But I must say it has been really hard to get him to eat it, he really does not seem to like it... He is supposed to be on 2 to 2 and a half cups a day and I am lucky if I can get him to eat 1 and a half cups a day...

The vet finally relented and let us add some grated carrot and zucchini cooked up in low salt chicken stock to the HSD to change the flavour a bit... This has made a bit of difference and he is eating a little more now than he was a few weeks ago (he has been on this for 10 weeks now)...

I do not think there is another commercial diet that is suitable for Ollie, so he is stuck with HSD...

Jodie

Royal Canin, Eagle Pack or Iams....Iams however looks a bit dry and doesn't smell as 'tasty'

Kit Kat I've looked around the stock agents and the vets and I cant seem to get either Royal Canin or Eagle Pack could you suggest where else I could try as Eagle Pack keeps coming up quite regular as a great alternative.

My dogs LOVE HSD, but the bits are big for a chinese crested, especially if they are old. I'd go for Eagle Pack (from dry ones). There is a distributer on northside, or you can order a big bag from the shop in racing complex in Albion park.

RC does do small breed kibbles....i'll see if i can find a list of their distributers...

I wasn't sure which state you were in but you should be able to find a stockist or at least get a contact number for a sales rep from this site Also your local petshop should be able to get the stock in for you.

Edited by KitKat

Orson loves Science Diet. I feed him HSD dry food and some mince/canned food in the morning and just dry food at night. He'll eat it no problems at all. He has a nice shiny coat and there's nothing wrong with his stool which is a good thing! =)

I dont know if it would be good for your chinese crested. what were you feeding them before?

I cant use hills due to the wheat /corn aspect my breed can be intolerate to it.

Our old girl gets proplan light & pedigree mature tin,whilst many will say no tin when they get old finding a diet thats suits there needs & stomach can consist of things we may not prefer to use,our oldie has blossomed on this diet ,her stomach has settled & she has got a new zest for life so we are happy.

Oldies diet is trial & error & something mild

Most brands of dry food, especially premium brands contain HBA, HBT and ETHOXIQUIN, the brands of pet food that contain those poisonous preservatives are Hill's Science, Eukanuba, Iams and others so I would recommend that people in general research what is in pet foods before feeding the rubbish to their beloved pets.

Hiya,

I have tryed science diet and much to my dissapointment it was not very good. After about a week she really started to smell, her poop was horrible and I guess the worst was she had some kind of reaction and got red patches all over her stomach :eek:

I have put her on the BARF diet from Dr Billinghurst and in just a few days everything has improved thank goodness :laugh:

Without 'baggin' HSD I would point you in the direction of their 'ingredients' list ...

Recommendations ?? Nutro (limited Availabilty in Australia), Royal Canin or Eagle Pack is also suppose to be pretty good (again limited Availablity in Australia)

Advice?? Research, Research and then some more Research ... please PM me if you'd like some documentation/articles with regards to 'what' is found in some of these Super Premium Foods and their benefits/drawbacks :laugh::eek:

I weaned my first litter on HSD growth. I had one puppy get hives through the amount of preservatives in it... My dogs are now on an all natural diet, BARF, and they love it. HSD also has alot of Grain in it, which is not ideal for a dog to start off with. By products is also a main ingredient. I would look for something like Royal Canin etc. I have also heard that Eagle Pack is good.

But for me, the BARF diet works wonders, I know what is going into their meals each day :laugh::eek::eek: