Washing Your Dog/s

booboo

I wash my boys every sunday so they are all nice and soft for obedience monday night, even though we take them to the dam nearby 3-4 times a week they still smell. I've been told that in goldies their is some kind gland on the head tat causes the smell. but anyways they love their bath :laugh:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About every 3 months or so.

They have a rough coat for a reason - dirt and leaves etc fall off and they rarely get dirty.

Nat

The retired showdogs get done each week.

The show boys get pee feathers washed every night,full bath/trimmed wednesday & show bath either friday/saturday

wow lots of work how many and what breed do u have show... obviously coated dogs..

• 1 month later...

I have a "new" 7 year Chow Chow who was badly treated. He had three baths in a row on the day I picked him up before the water ran clear, so he was really clean.

He is really stinky three weeks later and has a really really oily coat. Is this normal? I've had chows (both dogs and bitches) before and they have not had this problems. I was waiting for his condition to come back and him to breath more easily (horrid panting 24 hours due to throat trauma but is at least 50% better now and not panting while asleep) before having him desexed but this will take place in the next week or two. Do you think this would help the way he smells and the oily coat?

On average I do the poodles once every two weeks. They tend to get some or all them clipped, sometimes feet, face and tail, sometimes the "works".

I had my laundry renovated and installed the largest stainless steel tub I could find, with a top quality veggie spray tap and a small tastic as well. Washing the smaller dogs at bench height is certainly more comfortable.

Old show habits die hard - I use a soapless shampoo at the moment (does anyone else like Oakwood Shampoo) and a light oil rinse to condition the coat.

I sure don't miss maintaining a poodle show coat - Palane my heart goes out to you - it was bad enough on a mini.

Poodles - you get to wash em both before AND after every show. :laugh:

Guest LittlePixie

I wash Brody whenever I feel like it... sometimes it's every couple of weeks, sometimes I let it go a couple of months. He's back to sleeping in my bed so he's being washed more frequently now than when he was sleeping in his crate.

Kaeleigh is done once a fortnight. She tends to get itchy with this heat otherwise, and the washing (with Aloveen) keeps it under control.

Holly hasn't been done frequently before, but I'm going to start doing her at least once a month. Up until now I've done it whenever she's become noticeably stinky, but she just sheds so much less and is generally nicer to be around when she's done more often than every few months... particularly in this heat.

Mine get a full bath normally about once a month. They get a foot/tummy bath after being in the mud at obedience/agility (so weekly in Winter). If they are smelly or uncomfortable though, into the tub they go! This can be after pooing/weeing on themselves :o (Peebs has a big willy and a short body so often wees all down his *front* legs :love: ), rolling in dead fish or spilt milk (a current favourite - the primary school is accross the road so there is plenty of it about). If we are at the coast they get bathed daily as I cant get the sand out otherwise, and it irritates them (and me when it gets on the furniture).

I bath Nessie more often than Peebs because (apart from being a big, boofy, dirty girl :love: ) she smells funny. They all eat the same food, but on her the smell of what she has eaten seems to ooze out of the pores on top of her head :o . I gave them a smoked pigs ear strip earlier in the week (from Coles so the smokey flavour could be additives??) and a day later her head stank (like a bad smokey curry). Any ideas?

I want to ask questions about hydrobaths too, after reading this thread, but will post separately :rolleyes:

Many breeds ( not just the coated ones ) have a habit of peeing on the back of their legs. This is a bit yukky , especially for those breeds with long hair that pee down their legs :rolleyes: It smells and can cause stains that are more idfficult to remove, so they are best washed and rinsed when it happens :o

but he got twice in one week last week, because somehow he got so excited that he rolled on his back and managed to pee in his ear. He's a clever one :o

Rappie, that is priceless! :rolleyes:

Mine get done according to how bad their allergies are. When good about once a month. When bad, as now, once a week... We've had shocking weather and its sent all of our allergies sprialling... Medicated baths help ease it... Other wise they don't need it, lovely short coats...

Dan

Guest cloverfdch

They get bathed when they smell :eek:. El is due for one soon and poor Tinny has never had a bath in her life so that should make things interesting. Clover had one last week came home and promptly rolled the the dirt :D.