Canned Dog Food

shmoo

I was just wondering, does anybody have any links or reliable information on how good or bad canned food is for dogs and what the nutritional difference is between each brand?

Ive heard that "home brand" canned food is pointless and has no nutritional value, but i dont understand how they can still sell it if this is so.. ?

Ive also heard that "My Dog" is full of crap making it about as good as us living on macdonalds everyday.

Im just interested to know how good (or bad!) canned food really is!

Any opinions or stories appreciated :cheers:

edited to add: i feed my dogs natures gift as a treat sometimes because i find this the best canned food also. my dogs wont even eat "bushs" "chum" or anything like those brands, i know this because my housemate feeds her dogs those things. they eat it, but they will eat pretty much anything. my housemate thinks that all canned food is the same... but i certainly dont think so. i guess i am just looking for some proof for myself!

also, ive noticed the cans of "science diet" list the first ingredient as water.

Edited by shmoo

I use Natures Gift to add a little extra to my dogs meal...mind you it's like a tablespoon or two smoodged and mixed in with their dinner if i don't have any bones etc to give them. I also sometimes use some to add to a kong filling.

But in general...Natures Gift would be my recommendation...but not to use as a full meal on any kind of regular basis. Mind you there are some occasions eg special treat, dog requires soft food, pick whelping bitch etc. The others are as good and as bad as each other. For all that Pal is now saying theirs is preservative free with real meat etc etc.

I'm not a big fan of canned food, but on the odd occasion when I do use it (convenience) I only buy Natures Gift - it even smells nice, unlike other canned products that smell awful. My dogs always like it, and it doesn't seem to affect their poos the way other canned ones do.

Edited to correct my bad spelling!

Edited by New Age Outlaw

100% Australian, All Natural complete and balanced dog food

Nature's Gift dog food offers your pet optimum nutrition for all its life stages. The unique homestyle formulas use only fresh ingredients for their nutrient value, digestibility & palatability.

No colours, artificial flavours or preservatives

Essential natural fats with all necessary vitamins & minerals

No by-products or offal

Ingredients 100% Fresh & Natural, 40% Fresh Beef, 30% Fresh Chicken, 30% Barley & Vegetables

Guaranteed Analysis Energy 870kJ per 100g

Protein 11.5%

Fat 8.0%

Fibre 0.5%

Salt 0.1%

Calcium 1.3%

Phosphorus 0.6%

Ash 3.6%

Moisture 68.0%

An example of Natures gift can food.

You just have to look at your dogs poop to know canned food is crap excuse the pun.

Just what I was going to say - watch the poo - in some cases, I found the tinned food I gave was going through totally "unchanged" - reckon that means the dog did not get much out of it - just a theory. :cheers:

:D

If you don't mind paying for "flavoured and coloured water", which canned food is basically that, then go ahead and aim for a "better" one such as Nature's Gift (not a bad product but it's not the ideal food for a dog)...but it's far less expensive to feed fresh, whole raw foods and the dog's condition will be much better too!

Oh, canned food produces rather awful "side effects" in most dogs...slurpy poo, copious farting, and stinky coat/skin.

BTW - barley is something that a canine would never choose to eat...and offal is something the canine *adores*. :cheers:

I agree with the others. The only one i buy occasionally is Natures Gift. They probably get only get a can or 2 a week each though. My older girl isn't keen on any dry food, so i use it to make it more palatable for her. Mind you, when she was in whelp last year, she wouldn't eat anything but chicken necks and raw mince. Out of desperation i tried everything and the only thing i could get her to eat was Optimum canned food. Didn't want to do it, but didn't have a lot of choice! lol

My dogs ADORE canned food but they only get it maybe once a month as I find it makes their poo really runny. They love the Pal loaf style which I know is not good for them which is why they rarely get it.

Someone once told me canned food is great for getting weight off dogs as it goes right through them. They obviously didnt have to pick up the poo in the back yard!

Does anyone know anything about the roll things that you buy in the supermarket. It (like smackos) must have some kind of dog drug in it cause my boys inhale it. I have bought it as a last resort occasionally.

Schmackos have salt and sugar! Chocolate for dogs! :cheers:

Raw food for my dogs but I understand Nature's Gift is one of the better ones. Compare the labels on the cans in the supermarket and you'll soon figure out what you are feeding your dogs :D

Guest ~*Pixie*~

Note that the PAL ads are carrying on about being "preservative free" but say nothing about colours and flavours :cheers:

Note that the PAL ads are carrying on about being "preservative free" but say nothing about colours and flavours :rofl:

Do the say "preservative free" or " no added preserative".

"Preservative Free" the product should be free of preseratives..

""No Added Preserative"" the manufacturer of the product did not add preserative, the raw products may have still contained preservative, this is also the case with dry foods.