More On Food

bret

just one more small thing on food, we went and purchased some chicken mince today, and some potates and carrots, what are good veggies for them to have with their raw meat? is any cooked meat good for them? ie: can we cook the chicken mince into patties and stuff?

thanks

bret

If you are going to feed them potatoes, they do have to be cooked. Raw potatoes don't go down well and, at times, can be poisonous.

Carrots are best juiced and re-combined with the pulp, as are many other veges and fruit - apples, celery etc.

Why would you bother to cook the mince? Don't have to - they are fine with it raw - so why waste your time, effort and electricity?

I usually get chicken necks, pieces, frames or wings - not the mince anyway. Makes them chew and cleans teeth, does not have preservatives etc added and does not go "off" as fast as minced stuff does.

Do a search on "BARF" - here and on Google and you get lots of info.

:mad

never any onions at all - ever! non negotiable ...

a little cooked garlic is good. Raw can cause tummy upset,

I give mine:

carrot

brocolli

spinach

lettuce

sweet potato

pumpkin

a little normal well cooked potato

well cooked peas

If you want cheap veges go down to the sunday markets and rummage through the leftovers. Cheap as plus it comes in bulk so both you and the dogs get veges :mad I stick mine in a cheap rice cooker, put water, a little salt and a chicken drumstick or some chickeny offcut in there for extra flavour and boil it up (its all diced up) I use a bit of rice too. A weeks worth in a pot, keep well in the fridge. I scoop out what I need, add some Vets All Natural nutritional powder and then the protein (chicken necks, maryland, tinned salmon from Aldi is only $2, lamb flaps etc) if theyre fussy some soy sauce or fish sauce can get them eating.

avoid cabbage because it can cause farting or in larger breeds bloat. Also too much cauli flower, brocolli, brussel sprouts (especially stalky bits) can cause the same thing because they are all related. They all originate from the one plant so have varying degrees of wind producing capacity hehehe

I use Carrots and Peas alot when I cook mince for Riley. I mix it all up and he loves it.

He also gets a bit of brocolli if theres any left over from our dinner :mad

regarding cooking mince - I have to cook Riley's otherwise he wont touch it! He's a little bugger some times!

Edited by wagsalot

Cooking meat destroys the calcium, and also the enzmes which dogs need - one of which helps with digestion.

NO

onions

raw potato

tomato

grapes - incl sultanas and raisins

You can put the veges into the food processor and turn them into mince and mix with the raw meat.

Also fruit - apples, pears, all stonefruits, rockmelons, bananas (not this week at $7.99 kg), strawberries, paw paw, etc - anything but grapes - mine wont eat citrus under any circumstances, but others do.

Fruit/veges should only be about 20% of the ration, and green veges are good.

Re - corn - I don't often feed this, but when I do, I cut it from the cob, and chuck it in the food processor - haven't had any problems, but they don't get much.

Be careful with potatos. They can cause diabetes in dogs when fed in large amounts. I play it safe and just take them out of the diet completely. They dont have anything in them that you cant get from elsewhere :thumbsup:. Carrots are a super vegie, small amounts of brocolli, NO cabbage, NO ONION, pumpkin is good to keep the pup regular (also good to feed when pup has the runs or is constipated), apples, celery, spinach is awesome, brussell sprouts, and any other odd vegies you have in the fridge that are going a bit over ripe or soggy.

Oh and dont worry about cooking the mince. It is better for them raw. Cooking it takes out a lot of the nutrients. And dont forget that you may need to add a few extra supplements to this mix. I strongly recommend reading one of the BARF books for detailed information on this as you dont want to over or under do it.

i buy frozen bags of mixed veggies, that way the cellular structure is already partly broken down (freezing a cell is like freezing a bottle of water, causes it to rupture, as dogs cannot do that them selves) then i put them, still frozen, through the juicer (i probalbly should by a a quality proseccor for it but can't afford it just yet) and it comes out a a fine powder for maximum digestability!

i mix this with about 1/5 chicken pet mince from lenards (for taste) and suspend the lot in a chicken (or beef) stock jelly.

i fed this in equal parts with either chicken wings, lamb necks or a pork hock (all raw).

also 5 out od 7 days i added some offal, like lambs fry, kindneys or brains to the mix.

Apart from onions, raw potatoes, and corn on the cob (off the cob is fine, the cob itself is DANGEROUS) I'd say find something cheap, and if the dog likes it, feed him lots. I buy horse carrots in a 20 kg bag for five or six bucks. My six dogs go through 10 kg a week. Once upon a time I was a good girl and put it through a juicer and fed them the pulp as specified in the BARF diet. But the juicer broke down. Now I just coarsely chop the carrots, throw them on the floor, and they gobble them up. Pups think this is great and have a great time chasing the orange disks as they roll across the floor. You can tell from the poohs that they don't digest the whole thing, or even most of it, but WTH, they enjoy eating it, it doesn't make them fat, it probably cleans out their intestines, and they probably digest some of it. Mine also love cabbage, cauliflower, apples, broccoli stems, asparagus ends, green peppers, . . . .but they're Labradors (notorious gutsers).

Cooked meat is not harmful. Cooked bone is a no-no. Meat without bone may result in to much protein and not enough calcium. Raw chicken mince is worth avoiding if you don't know its history. Chicken guts, or poorly stored chicken, may harbour salmonella. My vet says that by four months they can generally handle the nasties that may appear in raw chicken.

Edited by sandgrubber

Be careful with potatos. They can cause diabetes in dogs when fed in large amounts. I play it safe and just take them out of the diet completely. They dont have anything in them that you cant get from elsewhere smile. Carrots are a super vegie, small amounts of brocolli, NO cabbage, NO ONION, pumpkin is good to keep the pup regular (also good to feed when pup has the runs or is constipated), apples, celery, spinach is awesome, brussell sprouts, and any other odd vegies you have in the fridge that are going a bit over ripe or soggy.

I'm curious - why say no cabbage, and then feed brussell sprouts?

I don't feed any of that family - no cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower, brocolli etc - they all contribute to wind problems.

Mine likes her carrots whole too. She will take a carrot, happily trot off and eat it like a bone. When the horse gets carrots, she has to have one too. :confused:

By the way - if juicing apples or pears, the seeds need to be removed first. Whilst they may go through ok unjuiced, the juicing may release the poison that they contain - or so I'm told. :p

:p

brussell sprouts are completely different to cabbage and brocolli (well not completely but yeah). Its like why you can feed some root vegetables, but not potatos, and not onions....brocolli is one of the best vegies you can feed, only in small amounts though. Lots of anti-carcinogens.

I cook the meat up for my 2. I feed mainly chicken (breast either minced or little chunks - I get free access to chicken :rofl:), beef (liver, steak) and lamb (liver, frys). I've been cooking the mince since Orson was a baby and he had a tummy ache so I fed him cooked chicken breast.

I feed them raw chicken wings, fish oil tablets and boiled eggs (they dont know what to do with raw ones).

I mixed up cooked beef liver, wombok and rice with some chicken stock a little while ago and that will keep them happy for the next few days :laugh:

In terms of veges, I feed them carrots, wombok, and any veges I happen to have in my fridge (snow peas, broccoli, chinese veges). I do have 2 rabbits so I buy things both the dogs and rabbits can eat.

Sultanas and grapes are another thing you should never feed dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Glad to see there are other pup owners going RAW! Anyone feeding the actual BARF patties you can buy?

I have a 9 week standard labradoodle who will only eat RAW and I'm nervous about her not getting enough vitamins (E and C etc) and the calcium phosperous ratio. I'm trying to feed exactly how it says on the packaging but I'm still scared she won't get all she needs, any advice??

Thanks heaps all u friendly people :-)

Dalia

I dont want to sound stupid here because i do not have a dog yet, but i have been doing lots of research and have been attending a few dogs shows and have spoken to breeders and a couple told me they simply feed their dogs Dry Science diet food and give them a slice of beef equivalent once a day and the odd treat. Is this enough nutrition for a dog?

Theres so much choices out there and make it hard for a novice to know whats actually right cause all the difffering opinions and choices.