Wash

Tanooki

Hey guys,

Cheers to all who gave advice in my previous post.... I don't get on to often so it is a little belated.

I washed "Steve" (our pup) with Johnsons & Johnsons goodnight baby wash, no more tears.

I know there are specific dog shampoos, but I figure if we are going to put this stuff on a human baby...... it's probably ok....?

(We'll it was a week ago with no reaction, also he loved being washed!!!! He just justed gloated around on his back in the warm water (he's only little so I washed him in the sink) then dived into a towel straight from the drier)

I was really just curious as to what brands, how often, and what style in which other people wash their dogs?

You might consider moving this to the Health section where there have been many discussions on shampoos and conditioners.

Pretty well all shampoos have to be washed out, those that dont are the Flea and Tick Rinses such as Cotex or Fidos, and Vetadine, an iodine based shampoo for non specific skin conditions.

I carry a range of shampoos for my grooming service including the Groomer's Edge range, one in particular which is excellent is Grimenator, for the dirtiest, smelliest dogs.

Cotex have some great herbal shampoos such as Coal Tar and Neem Oil.

For mine I use either Squirt or Aloveen.

Generally speaking short coats such as Labradors, I use a chamois to dry them, but always blow dry the long coated dogs as it both helps get loose hair out and also leaves a "fluffed" up look.

How often depends on how dirty they get.

Not sure what you mean by "style" unless you are referring to the cross breeds, or poodles and those that generally are clipped.

I use Aloveen shampoo and conditioner, and Fido's Bright White shampoo on my white dogs. I don't think human shampoos are suited to dogs b/c they're designed for the human scalp. A dog's skin is not the same consistency as a human scalp, even a baby's scalp in the case of a human baby shampoo. Why not visit your local pet supplies shop and get their advice for your dog's skin and coat type? Or visit a groomer and seek their advice.

My dogs are washed in our bathtub...I have a handshower attachment. This keeps them warm in winter, and allows me to thoroughly rinse the product out of their coat. This is important, esp for young dogs and those with skin problems. :)

HTH. :cool:

Plenty of people do use human shampoos on dogs, without any ill effects

However, people shampoos have a different PH, and can damage the skin. Some dogs are not affected, but some are.

The damage is often not apparent for years. The owner presents a dog with a skin problem to the vet - and it is almost impossible to get a diagnosis, so the dog is put onto cortisone or some other drug to control the problem.

It is much safer to use a shampoo specially formulated for dogs, because your dog may just be the one who has a problem in 2 or 3 years.

I like the Squirt products...they smell lovely, wash up the dog well and go a long way useage wise. (It's are made by the makers of Fudge people hair products)

I also like the Fido's Emu Oil shampoo - and the Aloveen stuff is fabulous!

I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago, but about long haired breeds. Personally I have Fido's puppy shampoo & the FreeItch wash (left over from my other dog) , but when its finished I will look at getting smething else, possibly Aloveen, Laser Lites or Plush Puppy were all recommended :thumbsup: .

No rinse Vetadine as a general clean up and my VO5 shampoo & conditioner for shows.

I love the clean smell of Vetadine, it makes the silver in my ring go black though :thumbsup: The resulting slightly yellow white fur goes beautifully white again in a couple of hours.

I don't use human shampoo on my dogs, but I must admit that I use aloveen on them and it smells so yummy and makes them so soft and silky I've been tempted to use it on myself more than once :)

I've been tempted to use it on myself more than once

Gawd! I spend so much more on my doggy shampoos than my human ones :) I've seriously thought about giving it a go :o My dogs coats are MUCH nicer than my own hair ;)

I use aloveen shampoo and leave in conditioner, its great!! :walkdog: ( although as soon as Kobi smells it he goes into his sooky mode, he knows whats coming!!) I also us Black on Black shampoo, it revitalizes black coloured dogs, thats great as well!!

We rarely wash him at home as he's a mini poodle and is taken to the groomer every six weeks.

However, if it's been raining (ie. he's played/rolled/covered in mud) or he's managed to get grotty (ie. rolled on a dead possum - so gross I can't even begin to tell you), we use Aloveen shampoo and conditioner to sort him out.

I also use johnson and johnson's baby shampoo/conditioner mix. It has a neutral pH level and does not upset Koe`vu's skin, and I dont end up smelling like wet dog

Edited by KOE`VU

For the boys (black) I use Oakwood Pearl Rose Shampoo with a touch of Essentials Coat Oil in the final rinse.

For Lily (white) I use the Plush Puppy whitening shampoo.

I like the Oakwood (ozzie made) - at $55 for 5L it goes a long way. ;)