Matted Spoodles

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The number of these oodles and similar crosses that belong to folk who seem unable to wield a brush and comb is amazing.

Have also had a run of Silky T X Maltese, all of which have shocking coats that blades seem to hate, and never brushed :laugh: maybe it is a viral thing..LOL

It would appear that owners are the same wherever, I thought that it was just an NZ thing :laugh:

It appears where I am that you have the dogs clipped over the summer, but its too cold do anything about them over the winter and they are never brushed and then miracles are expected to happen after some 8-10 months.

The worst I ever had was a cocker spaniel who I clipped under sedation (it was far kinder on her) and we removed 1 1/2 kilos of coat from her :rofl:

Ugh! this is one of my pet hates. These poor dogs are basically bred to look cute as puppies in a pet shop window. It never occurs to the fools who buy them that to keep the dog happy it will require grooming for the rest of its life. I see the most miserable matted filthy flea ridden dogs come into the shop & the owners say things like "just give him a bit of a tidy up. dont cut too much off, dont make him look silly" Of course the poor things are so matted it's like felt & you have to take the whole damn lot off.

It's neglect & cruelty on the owners part & it makes me furious.

Linda

the owner of this dog came in and asked me just to give the dog a tidy. when i felt the dog i said "im sorry, but its all going to have to come off VERY short"... she proceeded to tell me, that she brushes him everyday and couldnt understand why I needed cut it all off.

:laugh:

Some people just aren't meant to have dogs *sigh*

I must say though my cocker gets matts too even when we brush her everyday (Sorry, correction. OH BRUSHES HER EVERYDAY :laugh: incase he reads this later :rofl: ). I'm still waiting for a lady to call me back to teach me how to clip and groom her so she's got a very fluffy and thick coat at the moment.

Is this the first time you got this fellow?

I get that too and i dont clip - just hydrobath and blow dry. If they are way to matted i will suggest they take them to a salon who can clip them short.

Dont know if this will work or if it will be a great idea - for some owners anyway

Why not have 'grooming lessons' once a week in your salons for 'noodle' owners (and similar coated breeds). For those people who bring their matted dogs in again and again. Mabey they do indeed brush them every day but just dont know how to do it properly... Teach them the correct way usign the correct tools. (can sell said tools as an extra)

OF course, some owners wont be interested at all, but i'm sure there are some out there who want the best for their dogs and want them looking beautiful and fluffy between professional grooming sessions, and more importantly are willing to put in the time their dogs coats need.

ive been coming across alot of matted dogs lately, im getting sick of it because you book your day up with like ten+ dogs then you get to a house and the dog has inch thick mats in its fur, how hard is it for the owners to tell you when they are booking so you can put in the required time to fix it!!!!!i guess they either have no idea how bad it is or feel guilty about how bad they have let it get!!!!

we do educate the owners that bring dogs in like this. we show them the tools we use and how we use them. we also sell brushes etc in our salon and often they take our advice and buy them.

yes this was the first time we saw this dog. i think it was its first ever trip to the salon. i hate doing these kind of cuts on a dog for the first time because its not usually fun and they are made to stand on the table a lot longer than normal and there is always the added risk of me nicking their skin! not fun!

I must say though my cocker gets matts too even when we brush her everyday (Sorry, correction. OH BRUSHES HER EVERYDAY :laugh: incase he reads this later :rofl: ).

your OH brushes her? well there is your problem!! :(:rofl:

cockers have such a thick coat. i had a cocker last week i had to shave off #15 and was considering sending her to the vets at one point because it was so tight around her legs. the owners were really upset at themselves for letting her get that bad! they do usually brush her, but they had let her go a little, but didnt realise how bad it had gotten. they have booked themselves to come back in every week for a check up to make sure she doesnt get that way again! they were really lovely about it and i explained that when a dog starts to get matted it gets out of control very quickly because it spreads. we also agreed to let her grow out and we would stop at a level they were comfortable brushing her at home at, but also a level that will survive on a monthly groom.

i think some people just look at the surface but dont actually pull the hair apart and look down to the skin to see the matting.

I know you are probably sick of it, but I have to say the owner should get a bit of credit for coming to a reputable groomer and listening to your words of advice.

Since you were so accomodating hopefully the owner will return and keep the dog in check with its coat. I certaimly would because you took the time to talk to me and tell me how to do things instea of being judgemental and belittling.

The matts can be very frustrating, especially when the change of coats (summer and winter) happens. At least she was smart enough to come to you. Otherwise the dog could have ended up looking like all those miserable matted rescue dogs we see all too often.

Good on you for helping the dog and the owner Shmoo!

Just wait till summer Shmoo, they all start coming out then, along with matted double coated breeds. :laugh:

We've built up a nice regular clientel, but we still get a few of these types in. A poor little maltese had to come all off in a #7, thankfully not a #10 for winter :rofl:

I always instruct clients on how to groom their dogs. If a dog comes to me matted, I groom the dog and then tell the client that next time the dog comes in like that it will be at least an extra $40. This stops them in their tracks :laugh: and the dog never comes back matted. :rofl: Happy me and happy dog.

Hehe - do you ever get the line "I brush her every day, and she wasn't matted when I left home, it must have happened on the way here!" - when you look under the coat and there is a thick layer of felt attached to the skin all over? :laugh:

When I had a Poodle - many moons ago - I used to wonder why my groomer/clipping lady liked my dog so much. Seems there were not many who brushed and washed between grooming sessions. I was only 18 when I got her - and it wasn't that hard, truly - it just took a bit of time and *work*. I guess that is a 4-letter word. :laugh: Actually, they are both 4-letter words I just realised. :rofl:

:rofl:

This makes me so mad.Its not just the cross breeds that come in all matted to the skin.

Do the owners think that their dog who is not used to being groomed is just going to stand

there while all these strange things are being done to it Apart from some being scared &

stressed they can also get very rough handling from some ( not all ) groomers.

If they cant be bothered to put a brush in their hand for a few minutes a day they shouldn't

have a dog that requires it. It is a form of cruelty they are just too dumb to see it. Grrrrr.

This person has obviously left it too long. Alot of ppl dont realise how hard it is to maintain a coat properly. But you cant blame everyone all the time, this dogs coat looks the same as my brown bitch through coat change. She has a fluffy type coat, I hated it. It matted everyday. Its alright for us that have clippers and blowdryers but ppl that dont do this struggle to keep their dogs matt free. Most ppl just brush the top coat as they dont know any better, I have shown alot of ppl how to do it too but its still hard for alot of them to cope with, especially if it has the cocker thick coat it would be even harder to maintain.

One of my regulars normaly comes 2 weekly missed 1 vist we it came he body was come pleatly matted she refused to have him cliped and said she would do it her self a week later she brought him back said she had gotten most of it out .she didn't she said your cant clip him it would be crawel I told her if I left it it would be crawel long story short his legs I got out body I used 7 5 and 4 look ok owners where happy

The problem is they bye these oodles and beleave they don't lose hair and often bye the from pet shops or people the know nothing about grooming coats people that have jumped on the "disner" band wagon and don't inform them of the health and welfare of these dogs,and they have to learn the had way and as we know some of the never learn.