Matted Spoodles

My old dad (hes 73) has a maltese and he clips him himself even in winter and he just puts a warm coat on him ,in summer we clip the belly of our marrema to cool him down.So if my dad can clip and keep his dog tidy anyone can ,maybe people need educating before the purchase a high matinence oodle,methinks some sellers of these breeds are misleading people......

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I clip my cockers in Summer and Spring and roll them over once a week for a comb through their bellies and feathers. Those lovely combs with the rotating pins ... *sigh* fantastic gadget. If my guys get itchy or dirty, I find matts. Mai especially matts easier than Maverick. Also, a good leave in conditioner like Laser Lites is fantastic for helping getting those matts out.

And I feel terrible when I find a matt in their arm pit after a week and have to cut it out.

I know of someone who doesn't even groom their sheltie..

Now can we whinge about people who cancel their appointments 2 minutes before appointment time after they've made you get up early!!!! "it was too cold to get out of bed to ring earlier". Well how about ringing a few days in advance when you knew you couldn't come to the $&%^$ appointment!!!!

Or the ones you drive out of your way to get to then they don't leave the gate unlocked, or have decided to take the dog for a walk. "Oh, can you just hang around for half an hour until I get home?"

Or the ones you drive out of your way to get to then they don't leave the gate unlocked, or have decided to take the dog for a walk. "Oh, can you just hang around for half an hour until I get home?"

I am so glad I am not mobile. I really dont know how you guys do it.

I jinxed myself by whinging this morning...only 2 of my 7 dogs showed up. You have to laugh or you'd cry!!

• 3 months later...

:thumbsup: + :provoke:

I'm guessing these owners are the first to loudly complain about their coat being cut too short.

My mother-in-law has a Maltese X, doesn't get him clipped often enough and buys expensive hypoallergenic shampoos INSTEAD of brushing and combing down to the skin (she's been told how important it is). It's not hard to do!

As a breeder we do give a fact sheet ,we also show them how to brush & supply the right tools with the pup.

As a groomer we do the exact same thing but generally the matted ones come back in the same condition year after year with excuse after excuse

Personally you dont have to be to bright to realize dogs with coat need to be brushed just like our own hair.

These same people generally have the dogs in the house & feel the condition day in/out but they dont want to pay out for regular grooms & any advice goes out deaf ears.

We keep the matted coat & if we feel unsure about the owners attitude will take photos or video but it has never come to the point of needing that.

Some take the advice with open arms but the ones that dont are just lazy as theres no other excuse for not brushing.

Sadly nov/dec brings out the 2 a year clip offs,you get a few days off hot weather & the phone goes mad,we are booked out for 7 weeks & then you get the abuse because you cant fit them in.

amazing how many people buy these oodle breeds, just because they are "low allergy"...most dont realise that if a dog is "low allergy" it usually means it doesnt shed its coat, which means you really need to trim them and groom them...the fur doesnt miraclulously disappear by itself.

is it really that hard to groom your own dog especially since it creates a bond between both parties involved? Grrrr

Sadly nov/dec brings out the 2 a year clip offs,you get a few days off hot weather & the phone goes mad,we are booked out for 7 weeks & then you get the abuse because you cant fit them in.

we go mad in the school holidays too. phone rings non stop! and most of them are not regulars.. just once a year clients that get clipped right off. poor dogs can hardly walk some of them are so matted. :provoke:

most dont realise that if a dog is "low allergy" it usually means it doesnt shed its coat, which means you really need to trim them and groom them

just seems logic doesnt it!! :thumbsup:

I clip my cockers in Summer and Spring and roll them over once a week for a comb through their bellies and feathers.

And I feel terrible when I find a matt in their arm pit after a week and have to cut it out.

Me too Mav!

I'm proud to say that my groomer enjoys grooming my boys because they are always clean & knott free when they go in for a groom and they are very well behaved on the grooming table. They even let you file their nails after they have been clipped!!! :provoke:

I honestly don't understand how people can allow their dogs to get matted and how they can look at their dogs and think that all is well!!! I seriously don't get it. I feel bad like Mav if my boys get matts in their arm pitts!!!

Spring keeps me busy pulling burs out of their coat each afternoon after their walks!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by westielover

Geez and to think I felt a bad about Grievers rear end fur being slightly matty in sections when I took him for his first grooming visit!!

Don't these people feel embarrassed or bad? Are they seriously that ignorant that they don't recognise matting when they see it and know that its not supposed to be like that?

Don't you love it when the hairdressers try to tell you how to groom their matted dog or the women that have just had babies weren't able to brush the dog for the last 6 months or the owners that were on holidays for a week even though there's months worth of matting.

Maybe we should all put our heads together and write a book 100 reasons/excuses why my dog's a matted wreck!!!

I clipped off a 13 week old maltese today.

I was pretty impressed, I am thinking of giving out awards.

"Dog in the biggest mess in the shortest space of time" here's your trophy!

Did a "Spoodle" on monday, I have trouble even saying that word! and it had the most disgusting ears, gross, almost lost my lunch. Owner told me 3 times when he dropped it off that it was NOT to have it's ears plucked as it was a "Spoodle" and the spaniel in it meant that the ear hair was different and was not to be plucked like a poodle, last groomer plucked it and now it has ear infections.

What came out of its ears looked like a cross between Nutella and Vegimite and STINK, damm, it was bad, and that lovely squishy sound too when you moved it's ears. It had dreadies growing out of it's ears.

Another one in line for a trophy!

I actually used have little keepsakes on a shelf at work, a pair of Ears off a SWF of unknown breeding, I had to clip them off with a #30 and they were about 2 inches thick, solid oval ear shapes. I had a really snazzy tail off an Oddley thing, it was very impressive, if you dropped it it made a really solid sound...LOL .....I also had an entire pelt that came off a Labradoodle in one complete piece, I was actually rather fond of it, looks like a flokati mat, you could pull it and stretch it and it stayed together, and it had a lovely 4 inch pile of fluff. I also a really incredible little specimen jar that made a noise when you shook it, it had dreadies out of a poodles ears in it...LOL Good value if you took the lid off and asked the owner to sniff.

An over zealous junior threw them out one day and I was really cross, they were good to show naughty clients.

When I got my beddies I certainly didn't realise the amount of work I would have. My previous dog was an English Springer Spaniel that I would clip and groom myself. It is now 6 months since my two got clipped coz last time I used a number 10 instead of a number 5. By mistake.

So this weekend I have a big job of bathing and clipping both my two. How they look at the end of it is a bit hit and miss but I figure each time I do it I improve. They get brushed every day and still end up with the occasional knot. My boy especially has such soft hair that it can end up matted in just a couple of days if you are not on top of it.

Or I could get my sister to do them. But she doesn't know how to clip a beddie at all. She is a groomer by the way.