Please Help!

Whateverr

ok so here are the facts:

my sister (13) and brother (7) have both got female maltese/poodle dogs, one is about 3 years and the other 1 and a half. i have helped them look after their dogs when they were puppies and now im about to get my own.

I can pick it up on the 13th of september.

Its a MALE maltese/poodle from the same parents as the other 2 dogs.

I have a persian cat as well.

i am determined to train and "raise" this puppy by myself and i want to do a good job of it. I havent ever had a male dog before either.

I would like help on things like:

- what to feed it?

- how to introduce it to my cat and the other dogs?

- what i should do when the other dogs (female) are in heat?

- how to train it?

- what grooming techniques should i use? (its fair haired, more maltese than poodle)

- should i give it toys?

- my car is a 1975 manual beetle, do i need to have a secure basket etc for the ride home and/or future car trips? will my car have any effect on my puppy?

- should it sleep inside? (most nights the other dogs come inside and sleep on my sisters bed)

- what should i bathe it in? puppy shampoo, flea control..etc?

- should i give it a collar now or wait until its grown a bit more?

as you can see (LOL) i really want to do well and to train/'raise' my puppy to be a friendly happy bouncy dog, if ANYONE can or is willing to help me... could you pleae do so.. ?

thanks in advance...

:rofl:

Edited by Abbey B

You should deffers get him desexed if you have entire females in the house! Why have your other dogs not been desexed? Have you thought about it? Any reason not to?

Btw welcome to DOL!

As it is a pup it should get along fine as long as you introduce it to the cat and other dogs in a calm and controled environment

Pups love to chew so you will need to provide it with nice chew toys if you dont want to lose you shoes and other stuff!

Not sure on specific grooming but deffers get it used to being brushed as a pup as it will make it LOTS easier when he is older

Start collar and lead training young so it gets used to them early! cat collars work nicely on little pups

hope this helps with some of your questions

you will get lots more help from the guys on here!

Abbey

You sound like a very responsible person and it would be good to see lots more people preparing and asking lots of good questions like you have. Most I cannot comment on because I don't have much direct experience with puppies. The biggest problem that I can forsee is having 2 undesexed bitches in the household, this really will cause a lot of upheaval and be very hard to live, and it really is best to have the females desexed first.

Generally speaking small dogs and pups should have warm dry shelter, and I am inclined to have small dogs as indoor dogs, though of course it is nice to have a secure yard to let them out as well.

Have you notice a "pack order" with the 2 existing dogs. You will need to respect that when introducing a new dog, although being a pup they will most likely let him know his place. Giving too much attention to the pup in front of them may cause some issues. The same with toys, dogs don't really have possessions the way we do, they have territory and pack order. Basically the top dog owns everything (the top dog should always be a human), and all things need to be distributed in strict order down to the bottom dog. You can use toys in one on one training with your pup, otherwise best to keep them to one side, until you are sure all the dogs are settled and playing well together.

Grooming may vary, depending on what the coat turns out like. I personally prefer a shortish clip on most of the small fluffy breeds, it makes maintenance easy and keeps them clean, and reduces matting and pest infestations.

Early attention needs to be given to worming, check for earmites and fleas, and seek vet advice on treatment. A visit to your vet with your new puppy for a health check and to set an immunisation schedule and check if there is anything needing immediate attention. Both the breeder and vet should be able to advise you on diet. I believe young pups need to fed several times a day.

You should deffers get him desexed if you have entire females in the house! Why have your other dogs not been desexed? Have you thought about it? Any reason not to?

yeh, i have thought about that because both the other dogs are females. my parents wanted the older dog (sammy) to have puppies but when we tried, she wouldnt even go near the male dog. in fact she sat on the ground for the entire time the male was in her presence. lol my mum said shes a prude... thats why we havent got her desexed.

As for the other one (fi-fi), she still acts like a puppy. She runs and gets excited like puppies do and she's smaller than sammy at the same age. We briefly discussed the issue of maybe getting fi-fi and Spike (as my puppy will be called lol) to mate but it was decided that fi-fi was too small and havent talked about it since..

would it stop anything from "appearing" if i got him desexed?

The biggest problem that I can forsee is having 2 undesexed bitches in the household, this really will cause a lot of upheaval and be very hard to live, and it really is best to have the females desexed first.....

Have you notice a "pack order" with the 2 existing dogs.....

Both the breeder and vet should be able to advise you on diet. I believe young pups need to fed several times a day.....

My parents didnt get the females desexed because at the time, they wanted to get puppies out of them. But one doesnt like male dogs and the other is too small to have puppies without complications so we didnt really bother.

They dont really have a pack order. I mean, the smaller one gets more attention than the older one but when this happens, the older one will just sit there and not mind at all. They dont "fight" to get the attention of us when we pet them and such so they seem pretty OK with 'sharing' the humans, lol.

Im still in school (8:20am - 3:30pm), so do you think it would be better to leave out more food and water for it, or feed it right before i leave in the morning, leave food and water out during the day, and then feed him when i get home?

oh my.. so many questions... lol you'd think at 17 you would be able to care for a puppy without any hassle.. lol

Thanks for replying :rofl:

Please get your dogs desexed. They are cross-breeds and you are not a registered breeder.

It is dangerous for dogs to give birth, many have complications and even die. The very best thing you can do for your dogs is to have them all de-sexed.

Good luck with your new puppy :rofl:

Good on you for doing your research and preparing. My best advice that hasnt already been said would be to make sure you stick to your routine, dont change it for him, he has to fit in. I recently got a puppy aswell and being a full time uni student she has to stay home alone some of the time and she does fine with this just make sure you get him used to it. Also i'd suggest feeding him in the morning and maybe leaving out a bit of food during the day while he's young, although some dogs will tend to eat it all at once rather than when their hungry (mine did) so you'll have to see how he goes with that, and then feed him again in the evening. Hope everything goes well :rofl:

Please get your dogs desexed. They are cross-breeds and you are not a registered breeder.

It is dangerous for dogs to give birth, many have complications and even die. The very best thing you can do for your dogs is to have them all de-sexed.

Good luck with your new puppy :offtopic:

yeh, on the complications.. my parents and i decided that (after dicussing it alot! lol) we wouldnt try to breed the dogs because of the risks involved, especially with the smaller one. We decided that it was best to keep our current dog and be happy with her, than to spend lots of money trying to have c-sections and then have fi-fi die.. sounds mean but oh well.. lol

thanks for the advice :rofl: will deff be getting my puppy desexed :rofl::D

Edited by Abbey B

Good luck with your new puppy :rofl:

i agrees...they ahould ALL be desexed!!!!

welcome!

Good for you ,asking for advice first :rofl:)

The desexing one is an important one. Have a look here...there are lots more sites...

http://www.petsonthenet.co.nz/desex.htm

Your other little bitches should also be done..as accidents DO happen,and if fi fi is small, she could have complications!!!

my boy is desexed,as is our other house dog, a female. She was done later..my Mum hadn't had her done, but when the dog got very ill with PYOMETRA (infection in the uterus) the op. was a lifesaving thing!!! Luckily she survived..many don't!

there are lots of sites lke this one around, too :offtopic:http://loveyourdog.com/firstday.html

do LOADS of reading, and asking, and you will then find what works for you anf your new pup

Id just like to add one other important thing to think about- you mentioned that spike is a FULL BROTHER to your two females, there is absoluteley no way that you should breed him to your two girls wether there are other risks involved or not.

That is asking for trouble.

you should never breed siblings

Id just like to add one other important thing to think about- you mentioned that spike is a FULL BROTHER to your two females, there is absoluteley no way that you should breed him to your two girls wether there are other risks involved or not.

That is asking for trouble.

you should never breed siblings

they are a few litters apart though? like ive said, we decided to not have puppies cause it was too much of a hassle.. but what risks are involved if i was to breed siblings? i thought it didnt matter with dogs...

You can get major physical deformities from breeding brothers and sisters together.

Desex all your doggies, they'll be healthier for it, and alot less narkiness when the females are in season. Females who are left entire their whole lives can get pyometra (infected uterus) ovarian cysts, cancers or mammary gland cancers. It will be cheaper for you to desex them now rather than wait until they are in their old age and something happens that forces you to have one or more of them desexed.

All my dogs are desexed (pure and xbreeds) apart from one who is Purebred, with papers, on a breeders contract and will be DNA tested, hip and elbow x-rayed and scored, and then only mated if we find the right purebred, papered, health tested female. After he is finished, he will be desexed too.

Mel. :laugh:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Litters apart doesnt mean anything ,you say there from the same parents thats an issue.

The big thing to remember is when the girls come in season it will place your boy in alot of distress,unless you are set up to keep them away from each other at this time you will have issues such as the male peeing up everything,trying to hump which can injure the male/females back.Having your boy spayed will stop unwanted pups but keeping the bitches entire is a health risk plus will create issues in the house at that time.

As you say your not breeding but all the questions ask are what a breeder should now so the person your getting the pup from should be giving you a detailed folder on diet,grooming etc

Breeding siblings is an issue unless you dont care about what your producing or selling to the poor buyers.

A few litters apart ...

so OK a family has 5 kids, and the oldest boy decides to have a baby with his youngest sister because they are 'enough kids apart' .... WRONG WRONG WRONG.

doesnt matter WHAT creature its WRONG on so many levels. Would you have a kid with your sibling? You should decide not to have puppies because you do not have health tested pedigree animals, you have no experience in breeding/whelping/genetics and experience in what to select for in a potential breeding animal.

Go to the vet NOW and get a 3 dog discount for your desexing before you come back and tell us about an 'accident'.

good on you for doing you research.

i would suggest you look elsewhere and get a pedigree maltese or poodle as there are garantees that come with purebreds and qualified, moral breeders.

or try rescue as there are thousands of dogs in dire need of a home.

and while you are doing your research, look into the amount of dogs that are put to sleep every week simple because the exist and nobody wants them, the person who had bred you pups is only adding to this to make a quick buck and while you have two entire bitches you too are at great risk of adding to the problem.

at least with pedigree dogs the breeders test their stock, only breed to improve the breed, offer health garantees, make little to no money from the sale of the puppies and in most cased will take the dog back is you can no longer look after it.

You should decide not to have puppies because you do not have health tested pedigree animals, you have no experience in breeding/whelping/genetics and experience in what to select for in a potential breeding animal.

Go to the vet NOW and get a 3 dog discount for your desexing before you come back and tell us about an 'accident'.

um....

i have said that (yes, it was discussed, i wont deny that) i am NOT going to breed the dogs and i have said in another post that i am currently trying to convince my parents to get them desexed...

so um...

could you not.. i dno... it sounds like you're angry at me or something..

i do value your opinion and i am greatful to all the advice given by everyone but you dont have to be so... blunt.. about it...

and my parents have had experience in breeding.. when i was younger, they used to breed purebred Australian Silky Terriers... so... :happydance2:

We decided that it was best to keep our current dog and be happy with her, than to spend lots of money trying to have c-sections and then have fi-fi die.. sounds mean but oh well.. lol

What do you mean, Abbey? And out of interest, why did your parents change from breeding purebreds to wanting to breed mutts...I mean crosses?

yeh, i have thought about that because both the other dogs are females. my parents wanted the older dog (sammy) to have puppies but when we tried, she wouldnt even go near the male dog. in fact she sat on the ground for the entire time the male was in her presence. lol my mum said shes a prude... thats why we havent got her desexed.

As for the other one (fi-fi), she still acts like a puppy. She runs and gets excited like puppies do and she's smaller than sammy at the same age. We briefly discussed the issue of maybe getting fi-fi and Spike (as my puppy will be called lol) to mate but it was decided that fi-fi was too small and havent talked about it since..

would it stop anything from "appearing" if i got him desexed?

Please do not allow these dogs to mate...they are direct blood relatives (same parents). :rofl:

Please have all these animals desexed sooner rather than later. They deserve that much at least. :D