Matted Cocker

Hi there

This is a cocker which I clipped on Wed, he also had a bath. blow dry and re-clip. As you can see by his ears and feet he had a huge coat and was badly matted. Where I could I used a #7F and to get the matts out a #10.

There has been some "backlash" at what I charged, please may I have some ideas from other groomers as to what you/your salon would charge for a badly matted cocker.?

post-8234-1159677946_thumb.jpg post-8234-1159677967_thumb.jpg post-8234-1159678000_thumb.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been some "backlash" at what I charged, please may I have some ideas from other groomers as to what you/your salon would charge for a badly matted cocker.?

Haven't had cockers for a couple of years now - most I ever got charged was $65 for a badly matted dog. The dog had a "seal" clip - all off - which may have been easier for the groomer?

:) How can anyone leave their cocker in such a mess? :clap: I was charged for $70 each for my 2 when I took them to the groomer's but they weren't matted and their fur only needed a trim.

I would think $150 + would be reasonable but then I'm not a groomer (so sorry if it sounds like a ridiculous price :rofl: )

Do you have any after piccies so we can see just how gorgeous he really is :rofl:

I've got a cocker foster and she was very furry when I got her. Once I started brushing her, I noticed she had huge matts clinging to her skin and behind her ears. OH and I ended up having to shave her all over. I'd hate to think how much a groomer would have charged me if I took her to be done......

I'm not a groomer at all. But I wante to share that last year when I was enquiring about grooming prices with the local groomer (then in Eastern suburbs of Sydney) for a cocker, she told me about $30. So if that gives you an average ballpark figure for a normal groom, maybe you could go from there?

Also, they can charge on average $100 for shaving a long haired cat (cuz of sedation and the likes). I never had my Persian shaved but have thought of it.

Does that help, at all?

Depends on your base price & how easy it was.Groomers will understand that some matted clip offs can actually be easier that some regulars but we never charge the same as our regular clients.I would say from $65 upwards

I charged $60 for a schnauzer, matted to the skin all over. :) the other week.

Next time it will be a lot more, because I had to hear the dog cry as I very gently clipped him off and it took me over two hours.

I would say for the cocker $85.00. (that will teach them to groom their dog, poor thing)

Edited by schnauzer

Firstly I think The owners should be slapped and made to own a short haired dog!!!!! :clap:

I had one like this some time ago but only charged $30 as the owner was the local pastor (I wanted to keep in his good books :) )

I would charge min $75 depending on how much time it took you. More if it took considerable time.

I would make them pay top dollar. :) I would charge $150 like kaywoman68 said!

Might make them wake up and brush their dog! ;)

Fair enough they came in for a little clip, but to have to shave it all off, The nerve of some people, I bet they are the sort of people who say "why else would you become a groomer... You can do it for me!" Grrrrr. Sounds like my step-mother-in-law.

Now I brush the poor Border Collie, because she keeps forgetting to call the groomer, I brush the dog for nothing as I feel so sorry for him, a number of times I have had near misses with his teeth! :rofl:

Just reading some people's replies. Not starting a debate at all, but do you think the mentality of some people may be to then not bother to take dog to groomer again if they were charged 'too much' for the dog's grooming, and then that's why we see the matted messes in the pound?

Dunno? I guess it depends on how you word things to the 'client', like Well unfornutnately 'so and so' was in desperate need of a groom and because s/he was so matted, it took me twice as long to groom than normally, blah, blah, blah, so the fee for this trip is $Blah. However, should you return in say 'blah' weeks/months time while having brushed 'so and so' at least once a week, it is more than likely that grooming would cost $X, instead.

I'm thinking it from a client's perspective who was naughty but would still wnat to have my dog groomed and e educated at the same time. (Incidently, I am NOT a naughty client)

Dunno? Comments?

Just reading some people's replies. Not starting a debate at all, but do you think the mentality of some people may be to then not bother to take dog to groomer again if they were charged 'too much' for the dog's grooming, and then that's why we see the matted messes in the pound?

Dunno? I guess it depends on how you word things to the 'client', like Well unfornutnately 'so and so' was in desperate need of a groom and because s/he was so matted, it took me twice as long to groom than normally, blah, blah, blah, so the fee for this trip is $Blah. However, should you return in say 'blah' weeks/months time while having brushed 'so and so' at least once a week, it is more than likely that grooming would cost $X, instead.

I'm thinking it from a client's perspective who was naughty but would still wnat to have my dog groomed and e educated at the same time. (Incidently, I am NOT a naughty client)

Dunno? Comments?

I'm just thinking that some people who have very matted dogs were first attracted to the breed for their looks (possibly a compulsive buy) then realised the mistake they made by committing to a dog they had no background about. He may have came from a pet store where the staff say cockers are REALLY easy to maintain :) (I've heard it once. I always go to say hi to the puppies at the pet store when I'm out for lunch)

IMO, if they can't do something as easy as brushing their dog (any dog) atleast once every 2 - 3 days and let it get to the mess as above (or like the poodles that were rescued from the lady who's a groomer), then they shouldn't have a dog AT ALL. This is solely my opinion and I'm sorry if I've upset anyone.

I'll admit that sometimes my 2 will have a few matts here and there but they're little matts and it happens when they play and tumble or after training where the grass is full of bindii. It's not a fun thing to be getting bindii and crap out at 11:00 at night but that's the choice I made when I decided to take them to training.

Dunno? Comments?

The serial IDIOTS who do not groom their dogs simply move from groomer to groomer, they come up with weird and wonderful stories why the dog is in the condition it is. Eventually they have to revisit a groomer after they have done the rounds of them all and can be as brazen as can be.

I refuse to do these dogs cheap. It is hard on the groomer and hard on the equipment, It doesn't matter how hard you try and educate some people they simply do not groom their dogs at home. It doesn't matter how many times you tell them that if you see them every 4-6 weeks it will be an easier cheaper job and they will have a better looking healthier happier pet.

I spent 30 minutes hydrobathing the dried flea crud off a cocker last week, it took about 10 minutes just to do its ears. This dog is in this condition everytime it comes. They are always told they need to do something about the fleas they are given Flea Fighting handouts, they simply say nothing works, which is crap.

Once a year I clip off dogs that only see the bath and the clippers that one time every year.

It is disgusting filthy work, you have to clean the salon, treat it for fleas etc and it wrecks your blades.

I refuse to do this cheap. It is not that I do not care about the animals but I am trying to run a business not a charity.

My rescue dogs get my freebies.

Fair enough, particulalry for those serial offenders. Though they must be pretty daft, to not even gather that it's a small world and some groomers do actually talk to each other. In that case if they are that pathetic, they deserve to be charged what they get charged.

That poor dog :) I had an extremely badly matted BC at work today, am going to tell the owners to clip her asap when they pick her up. Honestly all it takes is 10mins of running a brush over them each night and voila no matting! Darcy my cocker will never have a fluffy typical cocker coat as he had parvo as a pup and it seemed to have affected his coat, some of it is long and fluffy and other bits are short, doesnt matter, I still love him to bits!!!

I would charge the going rate for the breed plus etra for the amount of extra time and added expenses.

I then show people the mats that have been clipped off in huge strips, tell them how it feels to the dog as it moves and lies down. I will also explain what brushes to use and how to use them, it is amasing how many people with matted dogs get like that because they just don't know how to look after the coat. Of course some people just don't care but i find they tend to make an excuse to avoid the helpful 'how to' talk.

[

I spent 30 minutes hydrobathing the dried flea crud off a cocker last week, it took about 10 minutes just to do its ears. This dog is in this condition everytime it comes. They are always told they need to do something about the fleas they are given Flea Fighting handouts, they simply say nothing works, which is crap.

Nadia can you tell me more about the Flea fighting handouts? Is this something you make up yourself?

Charging more for matting is something I am REALLY bad at. I feel like once I've quoted a price I cant go up (even though most of the time people lie about the condition of the dog). Its something I really need to work on. :)

Charging more for matting is something I am REALLY bad at. I feel like once I've quoted a price I cant go up (even though most of the time people lie about the condition of the dog). Its something I really need to work on. :)

Ari, I am not a groomer, I a customer. Save yourself by quoting a standard fee for a standard groom then tell the client that if it goes beyond a standard groom you will have to adjust the quote accordingly and you will not be able to quote such until you see and 'assess' the dog's coat. That way you give yourself some room to move.

As a customer I would find that an extremely reasonable quote/statement.

Don't de-value what you do or people will take advantage of you.

Thanks Becky. In my head I know thats what I have to do. I just seem to crumble when the people come in though. Especially when they start off by telling me the dog "isn't that matted". Meanwhile I'm feeling the dog over thinking " are you kidding? can you not feeling this?" and I seem to lose the opportunity to say anything. I am trying to run a business though so I just have to get over this (I guess its a fear). I have nothing to lose. I dont really want to do these matted messes anyway!

Edited by Ari

Ari, go with your gut. tell them the price you feel is fair and reasonable for your time and tools' wear and tear as Nadia says, they must take a beating.

All they can do is say no thanks and walk out the door, but I gather many wouldn't and you finally get what you deserve for your services.

If a dog comes to me for a clip badly matted, I do it for the standard price. I then show the owner how to brush the dog etc. etc. I also mention that if the dog comes back in that state again, I will have to charge a lot more because it blunts my blades and takes much more time.

I have hardly ever had a repeat badly matted dog. One client I told that if the dog was ever like that again to take him elsewhere, because I couldn't bear to do a dog that would have been in so much pain with matting - his penis was completely matted over - I don't know how he could have urinated comfortably :) I actually offered to rehome the dog for them, if they weren't prepared to look after him.

Ari, Set a standard price for the dog. If the dog is really bad, telephone the owner and tell them it will cost X$, or offer for them to take it elsewhere.