Soaking Kibble

SwaY

Our pup has soaked kibble, before other goodies are added.

It takes around 30min for it to absorb all the warm water and turn into mush.

She doesn't liek to wait for it :)

Can i soak it and put it in the fridge in advance? If so how long in advance 1-2 hours, 24 etc?

IF i can soak it in advance can i add the chciken etc in advance aswell?

OR is there a quicker way that im yet to catch up on?

edited for poor spelling.

Edited by H20

umm at work we sometimes soak the Science Diet for the dogs the day before, then put it in the fridge overnight.

Not sure if this would work for you or not.

Thanks very much, she is being feed science diet. I was wondering if it would invite bacteria etc being soaked in advance.

The breeder told me to soak it in warm water, then mix in her chicken mince, calcium and kelp. (she doesn't eat it dry i tried that once :cry: )

Sway is a 9 week old Great Dane :cry:

Ive read research on elevated bowls and non elevated, There is always for and against. Unfortunatly until there is not a full proof method it's always going to be a "them Vs us" situation. :rainbowbridge:

BUT i am happy to read any relevant documantations to further my knowledge and understanding. :(

There has been some research that indicates that soaked food and/or raised feeding bowls can cause bloat in the larger breeds.

http://personal.uncc.edu/jvanoate/k9/bloatfaq.htm

http://www.cybercanine.com/bloat.htm

If you want to have a look at some research, I'd start with this journal - I've posted the document summary for you to have a look.

24 page journal preview

"Diet-related risk factors for gastric dilatation-volvulus in dogs of high-risk breeds: A nested case-control study"

by Raghavan, Malathi, Ph.D., Purdue University, 2002, 169 pages; AAT 3099198

Gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV) in dogs is characterized by gastric filling with air, gastric malposition, and high case-fatality rate. Diet-related risk factors for GDV were identified using a nested case-control study. Of 1991 dogs from 11 large- and giant-breeds in a previous prospective study of GDV, 106 dogs that developed GDV were selected as cases while 212 remaining dogs were randomly selected as controls. Owner-reported information on the dogs' diet included the amount and type of foods fed and selected label information. Information on ingredients of home-prepared foods and forms in which they were fed (e.g., raw, cooked) was also requested. A complete profile of nutrient intake was constructed for each dog using published references and nutrient databases. Owners also reported on feeding-related management practices such as frequency of feeding and moistening of dry food. Potential risk factors were examined for a significant (p < 0.05) relationship with GDV risk using unconditional logistic regression.

The study confirmed previous reports of an increased risk of GDV with increasing age (odds ratio (OR), 1.15; 95% confidence interval (CI), 1.03, 1.29), having a first-degree relative with GDV (OR, 1.90; CI, 1.06, 3.40), and having a raised food bowl (OR, 2.18; CI, 1.21, 3.93). New findings included an increased risk of GDV for dogs consuming dry foods containing fat among the first four ingredients (OR, 2.59; CI, 1.45, 4.62) or citric acid (OR, 3.16; CI, 1.70, 5.90). Dry foods containing a rendered meat meal with bone product among the first four ingredients significantly decreased the risk of GDV (OR, 0.47; CI, 0.24, 0.93). Moistening of dry food alone was not associated with GDV risk, but dry foods containing citric acid that were moistened prior to feeding significantly increased GDV risk (OR, 4.19; CI, 1.80, 9.73). Approximately 30 and 33% of all cases of GDV in this study could be attributed to consumption of dry foods containing fat among their first four ingredients or citric acid, respectively. Owners can use these findings to reduce dogs' risk of GDV in these breeds.

Most dogs I have known to have died from bloat were fed soaked kibble. I would be seriously concerned about leaving soaked food too long in case it starts to ferment.

As an aside, why are you feeding calcium? On it's own you could cause serious skeletal growth problems in a giant breed - try giving dolomite, which has calcium and magnesium in the correct balance. I have passed this on to several breeders who knew nothing of it, and they have had much better results after changing over to it. It never ceases to amaze me how many breeders have not done their research on calcium supplementation.

Interestiong I've always been told that some large breeds when fed dry (not soaked) in the summer months can bloat because after they eat the dry they drink a lot of water and it swells causing bloat...

Thanks for the other side...

Thank you for the replies and valued information, im going to have a good read.

Im following my breeders instructions, im more then happy to slowly change Sways diet if there is a better option out there.

Any Dane breeder free to help me on this?

Thanks once again :rainbowbridge:

every dane i've had, the breeder has told me to soak the food. Only with my new dane did they mention that it MAY reduce bloat, but before that they just said to soak it as the pups prefer it and it's easier for them to eat(which is what i've noticed too) Generally by the time my guys have reached around 6 months they start to refuse to have to wet. I'd like to see what a breeder has to say about it too.

I tend to soak my puppies food when they are still feeding in a litter situation. This is because they tend to scoff so quickly without chewing that the food can get caught in their throats and cause them to choke. Once I am down to one or two pups and the competition is less fierce, I start to reduce amount of soaking time until they slow down and start to chew properly. Also if you are mixing chicken mince or other moist food to the dinner that will also slow them down and encourage them to chew more. A lot depends on if you have a pup that eats slowly or like a vacuum cleaner.

Interestiong I've always been told that some large breeds when fed dry (not soaked) in the summer months can bloat because after they eat the dry they drink a lot of water and it swells causing bloat...

Thanks for the other side...

My dogs are well and truly watered ages before their meal of dry, and if anyone goes to gulp water afterwards, it is taken away from them, and a small amount brought back a couple of hours later. Mine also have several snacks of chicken necks or turkey tails during the day, so that they don't gulp down their evening meal taking in lots of air.

If it is very hot, and they are drinking more than usual, they don't get fed until much later - midnight if necessary (heat stretches stomach ligaments as well, making them more susceptible to torsion)

We have always soaked our Weimaraner's dry.

It is done when I get home from work and allowed to soak for a couple of hours.

I know there are more and more people saying it doesn't make a difference but i'd rather be safe than sorry in these sorts of situations.