Very Sick Puppy

cinniespider

Oh dear poor bub! I hope he improves quickly and you can get to the bottom of it. Please do contact your breeder. I understand that you are worried they will think you've done something wrong but a decent breeder really does want to know how the pups go after they leave. I sold a pup many years ago and spotted him advertised as lost in the classifieds the week after. I rang the new owners who told me he had been stolen from their yard the day after they took him home. I was terribly upset for the pup - but finding out that way was awful. He never was found :thumbsup:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a breeder there is nothing that angers me more than when my puppy buyers do not contact me when they have a problem. I ask them to call me at any time, and send them home with heaps of info that they obviously do not read. Then off they go to the vet who looks for problems that are not even there, and sends them home with all sorts of unnecessary cures that often make puppy more sick. With my breed vets expect problems even if there are none. When I finally contact the owners and they say well this and this happened but it's ok now - I get very cross that they did not call me for advice first.

Please call your breeder now!

Our little cav boy is called Cooper too! We'll have to compare pics. Our boy is a bit funny about food, even now at 11 months. Sometimes he won't eat out of the bowl and prefers to have it tipped all over the floor. It's very strange. Sometimes I think it might have something to do with those beautiful ears! It's very sad to hear the probs your coopie is having. Our boy has a touchy stomach and we went through a similar thing when we first brought him home. Just a thought, could he have contracted something from your cat? Our coopie had the runs and wouldn't eat much when we brought him home. We took him to the vet and they recommended boiled rice and steamed chicken. We kept him on that with the Hills small puppy ibtes for about two weeks. We refused to give him anything else and he eventually gave it a go. His stools firmed up and we eventually introduced other things but he can still be finnicky about food.... eggs are a nightmare. If you need more advice I can put you in contact with the lady we got our boy from. She's great and really knows her stuff. We are keeping our fingers crossed for you and your coopie!!!!!

P.S - I agree with badboyz, you definately have to have the courtesy to contact the breeder first and foremost. It doesn't matter if you think you are being neurotic and your'e calling them up over what you think are silly things. Most will want to know what's going on and how they can help and you owe them that. :thumbsup:

Edited by cavmad

I'm looking for any advice on how I can help my new puppy. :thumbsup:

On October 15th my partner and I picked up our 8 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy from a breeder. We got him home and fed him as directed ( raw chicken mince supplied by the breeder 3 time a day) and found by Saturday 21st he became ill.

Symptoms included at first lethargic, food refusal then on Sunday moved on to diarreah and vomiting aswell. We took him to the vet to which he thought it could be a stomach infection due to perhaps salmonela from the chicken mince. He was given many injections ( one for diarrah, one for vomiting, one for the pain, 2 of water under the skin) and we were sent home with antibiotic tablets twice a day and liquid medication for the diarreah. He continued to vomit that afternoon but stopped vommiting on the monday.

Still refusing to eat and still lethargic we took him back to the vet to which he was given 2 more injections ( vitamin suppliments I think) and a injection of water directly into the belly. We were also given precription food to force feed him with a seringe. Since Monday we have force fed him 3 times a day after offering him alternate food to eat ( vet suggested cooked chicken breast with some steamed rice) before the seringe feed. He's taken no interest in food at all. On Friday morning he ate 2 spoons of food but only off the floor and would not eat from a plate or bowl. We haven't been able to get him to eat again since. The vet says to continue with what we're doing and he should eat eventually. He also tested for parvo which was thankfully negative.

The forced feeds are helping with his energy levels and he now has good stools. So the only thing left is getting him to eat and it's been over a week now of only a single voluntary small eat. Which was some of the food we've been feeding him. We're out of antibiotics tonight and should be finishing the use of the diarreah liquid medication soon.

Tomorrow we plan to see another vet for a second opinion but would appreciate any ideas or help on getting our pup back to normal.

Carly

Hi cinniespider

This may be a case of INTUSSUSCEPTION, check out this link.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...p;articleid=307

I had a dog with the very same symptoms, it can kill a dog in a few days, if not treated ASAP.

Laurie

post-13302-1162450452_thumb.jpgpost-13302-1162450424_thumb.jpg

Geez you guys are hard.

You dont know whats in the mince mix so maybe the breeder has added things to balance it. Its highly unlikely this was caused by salmonella and could be any number of things bacterial or parasites especially considering it was over a week after the pup came home. Dr Ian Billinghurst and several other canine nutrition people recommend puppies only eat chicken necks or wings for the first few days after they go home and its very common for BARF feeding breeders to recommend this.

Ive got more concern over the vet treatment and recommendations than what I have over the breeder and I hope that you ring the breeder and tell them whats going on.

In the mean time I would give 5 mils twice per day of Aloe juice as Ive seen this work miracles in very fast time with both puppies and kittens who are not eating and some pro biotics. [yakkault]

Steve I agree with you. the last thing I would be feeding a pup that appears to be sick and not wanting to eat is dry food. But then again I do not regularly feed any dogs dry food.

Hi again all,

Cooper came home from the vet Wednesday night. :laugh:

He is now eating again and is soooo full of energy it's amazing! We've never had him so full of beans before

:D

So although it's been a busy few days I had to get back here and thank you all for your imput and well wishes. I'm so releived that he's been so super =) He's currently eating canned puppy food but we'll slowly get him over to a quality dry food when he seems ready to try something new

Cheers,

Carly

It was my partner that took him to the second vet ( I work during the day and he works at night) I would assume the new vet took it as a infection in the belly (I'll have to quiz my pater on this though as he didn't mention the vet thinking it was anything new) They tok him in overnight, more hydration and injected him with something that would promote him to feel hungry and seemed to work a treat within a few hours. We were given electrolite (spelling???) mixutre to add to his water and he's been a hungry little fellow since. =)

He's a quick learner also :rofl: We've gotten him back on track with his schedule (eating, eliminating, play times) and he's getting to know the word NO ( and acually moving away from object which helps) and starting to get the word SIT. =) We've also started to move him over to the dry food which he actually likes.

"He's currently eating canned puppy food but we'll slowly get him over to a quality dry food when he seems ready to try something new"

So are you now going to move him to a completely dry diet?? Sigh - won't get into that argument here but how about doing some reading on the subject before you do...all about balance in my opinion.

I've centainly researched the topic and it would seem most vets, breeders and infomational websites and books I have read on the topic reccommend it but I am open to other perspectives on the topic. My mum always fed both so I think both have benifits but recent research has swayed me to belive dry must be best for him.

"He's currently eating canned puppy food but we'll slowly get him over to a quality dry food when he seems ready to try something new"

So are you now going to move him to a completely dry diet?? Sigh - won't get into that argument here but how about doing some reading on the subject before you do...all about balance in my opinion.

no one in my family...thats 3 generations of dog owners/ breeders/ exhibitors have ever used a dry only food or a canned food diet. We've always had the mix of BARF and dry...always stuck to the most natural diet possible. We only feed our dogs canned food in emergencies.

Anyways congrats on getting the little bugger better!!!

no one in my family...thats 3 generations of dog owners/ breeders/ exhibitors have ever used a dry only food or a canned food diet. We've always had the mix of BARF and dry...always stuck to the most natural diet possible. We only feed our dogs canned food in emergencies.

Anyways congrats on getting the little bugger better!!!

I have my animals on an all natural, no preservatives etc diet. We had to feed my boy canned food once and he vomited it and refused to eat any more! He got fed pal meaty bites once... he ate around all the red ones! We cook premium mince with grated carrot, garlic, egg, pasta or rice or potato and anything else suitable (sometimes even weet-bix) and serve them that. Spoilt!

Whilst 'canned' food means Pal or Chum to most of us when it's brought up in conversation, Hills, Royal Canin etc all make very good canned foods, much better quality than those you'd find in a supermarket. Just an expensive way to buy water - as my boss says! :p

In all seriousness though, I would be feeding canned food and going with the directions of your Vet on when to introduce new foods for the time being. Particularly since the purpose of it all was to get him to eat. :rofl:

Mel.