Peas & Other Foods Which Might Not Be So Good For My Dog

Bubitty

Hi All,

Another dilemma!

I have recently prepared Baby Bub's barf mix with some peas added, I think it makes the mixture smell quite nice and he does enjoy it but I have just been to a site which has said do not use peas in food for dogs as it causes bloat.

I also added some cooked potatoes and this is apparently a no no as well. I know potatoes are starchy but he is very much on the thin side and seems to enjoy this latest combo

(peas, carrots, potato, spinach, bok choi).

Whilst I am at it I was going to bake him a batch of dog bikkies (he does not like packet stuff and I am an avid baker and have run out of human things to bake so am starting on dog biscuits). Can I use linseed and sunflower seeds in his bickies? can some low fat cheese also be used?

Can I also add some herbs to his food (rosemary, thyme, oregano, majoram). I made him a lean lamb meal with these lamb herbs once a week (I make this especially for him, not a leftover, I roast the lean lamb, sprinkled with herbs, no oil and serve with cooked veggies, its his special meal, he LOVES itl. Or am I killing him by doing this?)

I also feed him a small amount of lychees, logans, cherries (all stones have been taken out) as treats sometimes, is this ok?

Overall hes a happy healthy chap, shiny coat, seems a little thin to me but everyone says he's in great shape, he seems to be able to eat anything except for dog food and various dog treats (gives him the runs).

It seems every 2 days I will read about something that can kill him! So stressed out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Bub,

Look sorry I'm not going to be much help but I just wanted to ask can I move in? Your cooking sounds wonderful! :thumbsup: In a veggie mix I use carrots, some green leaves, sweet potato, squash, pumpkin, celery..... I sort of wander around the veggie section finding small amounts of stuff so it ends up being a mix. I had read that peas were not good but I can't remember why they said. I've actually been lazy and not done veggies for a while.

Add to your bloat list

Feeding from a rasied bowl, not feeding from a raised bowl.

Water with kibble, kibble with out water

The list is endless

hehehehe I get what you mean! Apparently anything can kill him in this world!!! I'm starting to think they are more frail than human babies!

Gretel you should live near me!!!! I bake so much I often have to give it to all my friends, relos, neighbours! Thats why I've decided on doggies bickies next! :thumbsup:

showdog: I only feed him that meal once a week, he gets the barf mix, chicken frames, chicken wings, lamb flaps on the other days (with the occasional gourmet doggy snack). :cry:

Wow, I had no idea that peas were bad....(they are so small!) I add them in to my dogs food from a packet of cheap mixed frozen veggies. There aren't many peas in it. There is also carrot, broccoli and Cauliflour. I guess as long as there aren't too many it should be OK? They eat worse things than a few peas....chipbark, sticks etc.!

You definitely put in alot of effort for your dog, he must love you to BITS!

[quote name='MyMontage' date='1st Jan 2007 - 11:42 AM' post='1445537'

You definitely put in alot of effort for your dog, he must love you to BITS!

Hehehehe two months ago I was sick with a bad cough and he went absolutely insane, sat at my feet and cried, had his head on my lap, walk circles around me and tried to guard while crying, in short he was nuts, I had to hide from him when I coughed because he'd stalk me and start crying. hehehe we joked that he was probably afraid if I died there would be no more yummy meals!!!

MyMontage I am sooooooooooooo jealous of your oes!!!!! I have never seen a real one before but have read so much on them! I think I would be starstuck if I ever met one!!!! You lucky thing!!!!!

awwww....how cute! What kind of dog is yours? He sounds VERY lucky to have you.

OES are absolutely adorable! I had an old one, which was my OH's and that is when I fell in love with them. We got ours in July 06, after a long wait! He is such a good boy, VERY laid back and happy to be on his own. At the moment he is lying at the back door breathing in the fresh air! There are some more pics in the photos section if you want a look. The thread 'Could your dog be in Advertising'.

Add to your bloat list

The list is endless

Is there really a difference between feeding from a raised bowl as opposed to not? I have been thinking about this for some time. Would appreciate any advice.

He's a goldie! Those darn ears!!! I'd sell my house for those ears!!! They have me smitten! Trying to find out how to attach pics, they seem to be too big to post!

Oh could someone verify if the herbs I'm using are ok and the linseed/sunflower seeds.

Thanks!

Add to your bloat list

The list is endless

Is there really a difference between feeding from a raised bowl as opposed to not? I have been thinking about this for some time. Would appreciate any advice.

Some Dane owners swear by raised feeders, some don't.

If you search bloatand or raised feeders it will come up in there. I'd search for you but i always stuff it :thumbsup:

Add to your bloat list

The list is endless

Some Dane owners swear by raised feeders, some don't.

Greyhound owners are the same, some swear by raised dishes, some say it causes bloat! I actually feed Piper at a step only because he has such a long way down to reach!

I bake so much I often have to give it to all my friends, relos, neighbours!

Ohhhhhh ....... WHERE do you live?!!!!!! Maybe I'll move out that way!!!! Is there any chance I could be so lucky that you're the 'almost' neighbour who recently moved into my street a few doors down???? :thumbsup:

PS. What time is dinner?

:cry:

Nick off, you lot, I'm moving in!!

BARF = bones and raw food.

Meat and veges or fruit. Put the veges through a food processor or blender to chop them up, so the digestion system can digest them which is not so easy if the cellulose is not broken down. There is more information on the barf webside.

Cooking some of his meals is fine, but a dog is better able to digest raw meat. Feeding him a few whole peas should not be a worry. Same with cooked potato.

I feed cooked potatoes occasionally - just mix them in with everything else. But - they wouldn't get them more than once a fortnight, if that.

As to the herbs - I don't think a few can hurt, but too many are toxic. I'm not up on feeding herbs.

I feed my dogs LSA (linseed, sunflower and almond), which comes ground up from the health food shop, for their coats and skin. But again, they don't always get it. I probably wouldn't feed whole sunflowers or linseeds. Do feed sunflower oil from time to time.

I throw the used birdseed on the garden - supposedly for the wild birds to eat - but the dogs lick it up, and I have noticed whole seeds coming through, so they obviously can't digest them.`

The trick to feeding dogs, imho, is everything in moderation, and plenty of variety -- that way you ensure the diet is balanced, and they are not missing anything, nor are they getting too much of anything.

If you do a search for BARF or Dr Ian Billinghurst, you will find a couple of sites about BARF - Dr. Billinghurst's is the best one, I think. That will give you plenty of ideas. :thumbsup:

Bub sounds very appreciative of the great care he gets - and why not? :cry:

:thumbsup: Its true, knowing what to feed, what not to feed is so damned comfusing!

Since losing my last RR girl to bloat I tend to lean towards being "paranoid", and worry if I am feeding the correct food, the correct amount at the correct time! My most particular "thing" ATM is no exercise before or after meals ( young RR is on 3 meals a day).

I guess if you feed a variety of foods (same goes with us humans!) you'll probably be okay, but it is a worry at times.

Ours get a mix of "just cooked" veges - usually carrot, cauli, broccoli or cabbage and whatever else I can think of(I leave the cooking water in as well and 'smooj' it all together with my hands when it is cool), rice, raw roo meat (which is processed locally),chickenwings, lamb shanks, eggs, sardines or other oily fish, yogurt, dry kibble and sometimes scraps-depending on what they are.

Of course they dont get all this every day! But a mix of different things to go with their veges and kibble.

:cry: Anyone else got any suggestions or great ideas on what/how they feed?

Peas are fine as long as your dog is not allergic to legumes. Interestingly enough I had a dog who had a contact allergy to clover. She also was allergic to any legumes; could not eat peas, beans or even the horse feed, & of course the manure as horses do not process their food very well.

Yes, fruit & vegies should be fed raw, when did you last see wild dogs sitting around the campfire cooking dinner! :D

If anyone knows where I can get one of these in Australia (preferably off the net) I'd be grateful. Otherwise have to buy from the states (expensive!). I've toyed with the idea of getting one of these for ages due to our dogs long ears and dodgy knee. The bloat thingy might be another reason to give it a go.

post-11278-1167648621_thumb.jpg