C7 Vaccinations.

Tia

Now that we have Storm, going to our old vet is a bit hard as it is a small wait your turn waiting room.

I went to our local vets yesterday to ask about Sams C5 as it's overdue (I've been in and out of hospital the last few months).

I've been told it's now a C7 :) , has anyone else had their dog vaccinated with this and if so any problems? He's due to go in on Thursday for his shot.

That's all I use to get, but I've been told the C7 contains the 'corona' not sure of the spelling and also protection for the virus caused by rats.

It makes me wonder if it's just another money spinner?

I asked about the corona virus when there was an outbreak a few years ago and was told by my vet that most adult dogs have come into contact with it and have their own natural immunity.

I don't know about leptospirosis.

My vet is very thorough and he has never suggested a C7. Mine were last vaccinated in Oct

C3 every 3 years is the maximum your dog needs unless you need to put him in a boarding kennel that insists on annual C5s.

There are boarding kennels that accept C3s.

A C7 is pointless for an adult, as Corona is usually only fatal with young pups, mostly before vaccination age. Leptospirosis is only a problem in a few areas in Australia, and I doubt that yours is one of them.

The more separate components in a vaccine, the more potential for serious adverse reaction, which is why many people now give single vaccines to their dogs overseas - you can give the parvo component, followed up by the distemper one a fortnight later, minimising any harmful effects. These two vaccines are the only ones you need, as canine hepatitis has been a non event in this country for at least 2 decades.

I'm stuck then, I'll have to try to get hubby to stay home with Storm as if we seperate them they go nuts and go to my usual vet at North Richmond for Sams C5 then. He started on a C3 but when we were lucky enough to get some cash together for a holiday we added in the C5.

Storm coming from the pound I had a C5 done for health reasons.

It seems the local vet will only do a C7 nothing else.

C7 is only useful for certain areas .

I wouldnt be using it as dogs can react to Lepto .

I would be asking the vet if they vaccinate 6 week olds with c7 because i cannot believe a vet would be stupid enough to do c7 only.

Otherwise find another vet & tell them why you are doing so

Yes - agree with the others - if my vet wasn't willing to discuss something like C5/C7 with me, I'd be changing vets.

Apparently the lepto vacc has a significantly higher adverse reaction rates than most of the others, and also, like bordatella, doesn't cover all strains which may be present. One vet I heard speaking about it said he would only use the lepto vacc if there was a real likelihood the dog was going tobe exposed. I would think the same thing would apply to the corona vacc for healthy adults - you'd really want a very good reason for giving it.

Leptospirosis is very rarely found outside of tropical and sub-tropical areas of Australia.

You're in the Blue Mountains... absolutely no need for lepto vacc.

Do we even have testing available for Corona Virus in Australia yet?? Last I heard we didn't. I don't see the point in it as Morgan stated... it' can be fatal if left untreated in pups but rarely affects adults (since it also isn't tested for anyway) and is treated exactly the same as any other gastro virus... with fluid therapy.

I think all the salient points have been covered.

A C3 is the core vaccination (against "deadlies") and I would suggest that anything beyond that be a decision made about the risk factors that apply to a particular individual animal. As a point of interest, although the C3 protects against parvovirus, distemper and infectious hepatitis (Canine Adenovirus 1 / CAV1) - the protection against CAV1 is actually conferred by cross protection from CAV2 (which is a cause of infectious tracheobronchitis). Trivia really.

If your dog is going to be in regular contact with "strange" dogs or in a high population environment then you may choose to get a C4 / C5 - knowing that the vaccinations will not neccessarily prevent the disease, but aim to limit the clinical signs - in order to prevent the spread of disease.

I have no justification for offering a C7 in our area (Blue Mountains), let alone one for insisting on it. As others mentioned, coronavirus causes gastroenteritis, which can be treated in the same way as gastroenteritis from any other cause and bears all the same possible outcomes (unfortunately including death in young or debilitated animals). It would normally only moderate disease in adults, so age can be more protective, compared to parvo which can affect any non vaccinated animal (and the odd vaccinated animal). Leptospirosis is something that should be vaccinated against based on risk, not aiming for "completeness" and the mountains are not in the far north of Australia, nor is there an abundance of production animals....

That's all I use to get, but I've been told the C7 contains the 'corona' not sure of the spelling and also protection for the virus caused by rats.

Unless your dogs are travelling to the tropics, there is NO need for a C7...leptospirosis is the disease in question and it doesn't occur in temperature or cool climate regions, only in the wet, humid tropics.

If this were me, I'd find another vet. :mad

I was only going to this vet as it's the easiest one to go to with Storms aggression. They do appointments so you don't run into other dogs.

I canceled the appointment and asked do they ever do the C5 anymore and they said no as it's cheaper and more cost effective for them (lets say more profit to them) to do a C7.

I'll just take the dogs to mums in a few weeks and go to her vet. He has a back entrance I can use so Storm won't encounter any other animals and she'll also be due by then for her next shots. Sams just going to have to wait, he had all his puppy ones and his 1 year old ones so should be covered living in such isolation as we do.

Edited by Tia