Feeding Offal

I wanted to do a poll, but i cant even find the button to do so, anyway i was just interested in how many people feed raw offal to their dogs on a regular basis.

And i just found out its actually prohibited to feed Raw Offal to dogs in a certain state of Australia unless its a manufactured pet food. Crazy.

I feed various Raw offal weekly, livers kidneys hearts lungs ect, but no brain, not for any reason i just dont.

Edit: to say raw offal, instead of just offal.

Edited by s~M~s

depends on when we go shopping. Some weeks Humphrey (boxer) gets anywhere between 1-4 kgs of it a week just depends on prices and when we go shopping.

We feed mainly chicken offal, heart, liver and giblets...all human grade so not really worried about contamination etc.

Yes feeding offal to dogs is illegal down here in Tassie :cheer:

I am not quite sure how "they" are suppose to police this law, especially when you can buy fresh offal from the s/markets!!!!!!!!!

Apparently it is going to stop the spread of hydatid worms/cysts from spreading. But if you know anything about food handling saftey, all animals are inspected after slaughter for human consumption.

After all we are talking Tassie bureaucrats................................

about 20yrs behind everyone else :thumbsup:

I also feed raw offal about once a week. What they get depends on where I've done the grocery shopping that week and what the supermarket had. They generally get liver (chicken and lamb), kidneys, hearts and chicken giblets.

I only buy human grade offal and I worm my dogs regularly so I'm not worried about hydatid worms etc.

How on earth is the not feeding raw offal rule supposed to be enforced - it's absolutley impossible and I've never heard anything so silly. :thumbsup:

Malamum wrote

I worm my dogs regularly so I'm not worried about hydatid worms etc.

Just for everyone's information, not all worm tablets target hydatid tapeworm. Only wormers containing praziquantel at the required dose rate will do it.

And if you bring a dog into Tasmania, you're required to provide evidence at Quarantine inspection that the dog has been wormed with a praziquantel wormer.

I tend to agree about the offal situation (and I don't think chickens are a host, so maybe chicken offal is OK anyway) - but I can also see how Tasmanian authorities can be paranoid about a truly dreadful disease, which they thought for a while they had eradicated. I think their argument is that they can't guarantee that even abbatoir inspection is 100%, and while that doesn't pose a risk to humans directly, it does leave a risk that any cysts could progress through a dog inadvertently fed infected offal.

Edited by Tassie

Good point Tassie.

I do use a wormer that covers hydatid tapworms (Drontal or Endoguard) and because I'm so used to using it I forgot that some brands don't cover this type of worm and that others may not know this. I should have specified that.

Also, I do beleive the airlines tell everyone taking a pet down to Tassie, that the tape wormer has to be administered in a Vet Surgery, where they have to be kept for a number of hours, to make sure the pet hasn't thrown it up, and then the Vet has to write a letter stating that the pet has been wormed with a tape wormer tablet. At least that is what the people have told us at our surgery on a number of occasions.

-WithEverythingIAm

Thanks all for replies :p, i didnt know a dog had to go into quarantine and prove with documents its been wormed with a tapewormer in Tasmania, even if just visiting?

berly: I dont know how one makes it more appealing,I did try and stew a heap up once but my dogs did'nt seem to like it as much, when its raw they just get stuck into it and look about for more :), benifits i suppose are its just full of vitamins and minerals, so is good for health.

Your dog may like the taste better if its slightly cooked.

Here's the quarantine situation for dogs coming into Tasmania, from the Tas Primary Industry Department website DPIW

2.20 Dogs

Dogs must be treated with praziquantel at a dose rate of 5 mg/kg body weight within 14 days before entry to Tasmania with the following documentation:

(a)

A statement that they have been treated, made in writing by a veterinarian registered in the exporting State or Territory; or

(b)

A Statutory Declaration that they have been treated, made by the owner in the exporting State or Territory; or

They must be treated with praziquantel at a dose rate of 5 mg/kg body weight after arrival at the direction of an inspector; or

They are returning to Tasmania after no more than 14 days in another State or Territory and the owner provides documentary proof of this. Acceptable documentation is:

(a)

A statement obtained before leaving Tasmania from the Tasmanian Canine Association, the Department of Primary Industries and Water, or the Tasmanian Greyhound Racing Board that identifies the dog and contains the expected date of departure; or

(b)

A Statutory Declaration; or

©

Shipping documents that describe the dog adequately; or

They are exempted from treatment by an inspector because they are:

(a)

Dogs trained to assist the handicapped; or

(b)

Greyhounds that will be racing in Tasmania within 6 days of their importation, if this is confirmed by documentation from the Tasmanian Greyhound Racing Board.

And oddly - AFAIK dogs resident in Tasmania don't have to be wormed against hydatid tapeworm - I guess on the basis of the ban on feeding offal from possibly infected animals, and the fact that there is apparently no native animal source in Tasmania.

Here is a link to a quite useful page on the DPI website about the eradication program for hydatid disease. hydatid disease

ET fix typo

Edited by Tassie