Dane With Bad Hips?

tree

Hi everyone. Got back from our honeymoon and Angus must have hurt himself somehow in the boarding kennels!

He is soo stiff around the back section now and I'm really worried it's going to be something with his hips. He's usually tearing around and now he just gingerly walks :cry: so out of sorts.

Took him to the vets today and he's got to have some xrays that are going to cost $500 or more. this sounds excessive to me?

He's only 7mths old, I really can't believe this is happening :cry:

Does anyone know anything about these kinds of things, or have any personal experiences to share with me?

I doubt something permanent would have happened in a such a short time. ( i could be wrong)

Could you perhaps take him to see a chiro?

I Took Sway to the Chiro man today, and he works magic!!

ETA will ask Troy to move this for you, you shoudl get better results in the health section.

Edited by SwaY

Not sure if they would be the same type of x-rays or not, but when Zephyr had his hips x-rayed (to get scored) it only cost about $200 I think. $500 does sound a little excessive, perhaps you could get a second opinion? Just a suggestion.

Could he have maybe pulled a muscle or something? Is it tender to touch anywhere?

Ring several vets I say. The price differences are amazing.

Even when I recently had to make the decision to euthanise my girl - one vet wanted to charge $300, the next $45!

Vaccinations - again, I was quoted $200 from one - and $80 from another.

If you bought her from a registered breeder - ring them and tell them the situation and find out if their vet would do it?

Hi Tree

That's distressing to hear about your Angus. I hope it is something short term - you'll have to PM the kennel...

I think $500 does not sound too bad - I was speaking to the 2 guys from Bondi who have the massive Harli Danes and they told me to get insurance very early on as one xray alone will cost several hundred dollars because of size and drugs.

Was it you or Sas that told me that there is a great vet at Homebush for Danes?

Good Luck and keep us posted.

hi guys and thanks for all the replys!

Angus is doing ok. We have booked him in to have the xrays under anaesthetic on Monday, so I guess we will just have to wait and see. The vet said it also might be a soft tissue or muscle injury. They felt all around both legs from the toes to the hips and he didn't show any signs of pain, that's the weird part! It's like he's just stiff or something? Really strange.

We took his own Hammock bed with his doona to the kennels so he would have been sleeping on that. And the kennels are heated so he wouldn't have caught a chill. He's definately not constipated :cry: Still does about 3 big poos a day lol They said he hurt himself trying to get out of one of the exercise yards. which is strange as he's never tried to get ut of anywhere else, maybe just because he was stressed out I'm not sure?

Sway is going to put me onto a good Chiro in the area hopefully so cross fingers that it will help.

I know xrays are expensive but it still seems alot. We would pay anything to make sure he's ok so it's not a money issue, I just sometimes think that vets are ripping us all off :rainbowbridge:

I've worked as a vet nurse for 5 years and I can tell you that there is NO way it costs them anything close to that.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. i'll keep posting with updates when the xrays are done. Hopefully it's nothing serious!

I would be asking what exactly are they x raying for??

I would ask what the $500 exactly covers.

I would be talking to the breeder & asking what vet they suggest.

We always use either Bowen or a chiro for an injury before doing the vet unless its obvious its a break.

Knowing what danes are like when we board them i would say hes just sore more than anything & needs to to rest

The price sounds about right to me everything costs more with danes.. Just make sure you are confident the vet knows danes. I'd say make a decision based on the vet not the price.

I think I'm destined never to go on holiday again as I don't think my dane would cope well with a kennel situation. I think I'll have to stick to longweekends at dogfriendly B&Bs. Don't think I could part with my boy very long at all.

Is your vet just going to xray the hips, or further up the spine as well?

Many years ago my mums Basenji hurt herself, we got her hips and back legs xrayed but couldn't find anything wrong. We took her back a week later and found that she'd actually injured in between her shoulder blades on her spine. She wasn't reacting to pressure in that area, but her back, tail and back legs seemed sore. she was very stilted when she walked, so we thought hips.

It might be worth asking the vet to check that area out as well.

Hopefully he'll have just strained a muscle and with rest and a little time he'll be back to his old self.

Good luck!

Jenna