Private Instructors

How many people here use a private instructor for their choice of dog sport? I always find that one-on-one instruction is so much better than the school obedience classes. Dog school is great for getting the dogs used to distractions etc.

From riding horses I am used to having the private lessons. I don't notice many dog people doing this though. Or do you just not mention it?

I had some one-on-one instruction on the weekend at a club comp and the judge picked up so much stuff and gave me so many good hints.

Also if anyone knows any good instructors can they let me know please! I'm in the Yarra Valley, Vic. PM me if you don't want to put the details here.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good analogy with the horse side of things as i always used to have private dressage and show jumping lessons as opposed to a group. Its about how the dog school uses distractions as well- sometimes they can only represent the same distractions in the group environment whereas a good private trainer can vary distractions both in terms of environment and individual components- dogs etc.

My partner and i both watch each other train as we are both trainers and i think we're lucky to be able to do that as we can really pick up the little things- as well as the big mistakes! I am a big believer in training to a higher level than what you'll ever need in a trial and i think private training can be the best vehicle for it. Feel free to have a look at our website jules as i'm sure we could travel to your area.

I have private herding lessons in a small group. There are a maximum of 6 of us and the session goes for 3 hours. We take turns in working our dogs.

I find it really good and also learn by watching the other people in the group.

I've never had any private lessons myself...but where I do agility it's very small classes, and the instructors are trialling so I feel good about that.

The obedience club that I am assisting at right now have a max of 6 dogs per class and often that's a main instructor + assistant.

I find it quite interesting though, that in the horse area everyone finds privates more the norm.... :D

Mel.

staff n toller- thats a fabulous client to instructor ratio. We've just finished running some group classes with 2 instructors and 8 dogs which worked really well. But all too often i see massive classes with only one instructor which can make it very difficult.

it depends on your goals if your serious about trialling and want to do well pace high score then yes a private instructor is the way to go you need to find someone who has a very good understanding of trial work preferably has trialled through to ud so they understand the pitfalls of being in the ring and soemone who is passionate and enthusiatic is a plus as it will rub off on you

We train at 2 different places and both have at least 2 instructors watching the group, groups are kept fairly small in numbers so at the moment I am happy with this. But I would also consider some private training later down the track.

Hmm I travelled all the way over to WA to get private lessons :D . I am seriously considering doing it a second time.

ETA. And I do daily lessons via email complete with video every couple of weeks.

Edited by ness

Very exceptional cosmolo (I would move there in a heart beat if I could find an appropriate job - I so didn't want to come home) :D and they are all so supportive of me rather than the seemingly constant criticism and remarks made over here.

WA trainers are way ahead of most of what we have here (with the occasional exception). We have a few but most aren't that open to sharing their secrets for fear you will then beat them and its sort of leave you to your own devices. Not saying they are all like that. I have been fortunate enough to also get some help from a good delta trainer here (who has also been an ANKC judge) as well but I just really like the approach of those "select few" over in WA and their generosity of information and time should be highly commended. :) .

Edited by ness

we have quite large classes where I do dog training, one of the reasons I was so pleased Onsy passed into second class on his first day of first class coz the size of that class was unbelievable. but they do the best they can.

I'm going to Steve at K9 Force this Saturday for a private lesson, my first in relation to obedience not behavioural, I'm really looking forward to it. My goal is though to trial Onsy so wanted to start right from the start properly. But I won't be able to go that often coz it's about a five to six hour drive for me. But well worth it i'm sure.

I know what you mean about the WA trainers.

Gina O'Keefe came to Melbourne a while back and was brilliant.

Sue Hogben is just as good I hear and is doing heaps in NSW as well.

The club I did obedience at run trial people through separately. Haven't had private agility lessons but have had tracking lesson with a couple of people and dogs.

Edited by helen

Alright since Helen did mention names,

Yep it was the absolutely wonderfully fantastic Gina guru. OMG do I owe her a huge amount she has shown me so much and totally turned my girls trialling career around, not to mention the way I go about my training (which is an entire thread in itself - most of which I have elaborated on in other threads recently - shoey's thread comes to mind).

But there are a few other not quite so prominently talked about trainers over there who aren't quite so well known outside of WA but who are equally as nice, generous and fantastic as both Gina and Sue and who do just as well in the trialling circle - people such as Sandi Gee with her wonderful Lara and her tollers.

Small world. Gina did a few demos using Bella - Bella was eating out of her hands and doesn't work for just anyone LOL. Didn't matter what type of personality different dogs had, she was able to adjust to them without any hesitation.

The biggest influence for me though was her whole attitude to trialling - throws the 'boring' right out of the window. Bella had 1 pass towards her CD before she had pups. I wouldn't have returned to the ring if it hadn't have been for her great attitude. I am just waiting for her return LOL.

I also know someone who travelled to WA when they had the GSP nationals and met with a lot of the WA triallers and was equally as impressed with a lot of them.

Edited by helen

Well helen Gina was over here at the Pet Expo (god a long time ago now - back in March 2005). Ness and I were helping on the Aussie dog stand and she was doing demos on the stage. She wanted to know if she could borrow a dog. Now Ness was just lying around the stand off-lead, Gina comes and asks if she may borrow Ness and Ness just wanders off with her. She did ask me for her lead ROFL. Second time she was using a friends BC first and Ness was trying to drag her way onto the stage ROFL.

I have some brilliant backing thanks to that demo.

I was also fortunate enough for Gina to steal Ness for a little while on the Monday while we were out watching the obedience trial and show me a few things about teaching her heelwork. Ever since I have been in very frequent email contact with her and a long and well planned trip over West - just so happened that we also polished and commenced our very short trialling career in open - CDX 3 from 3.

Funnily enough before that Ness wouldn't work for anybody else. Gina was able to take her and work her then we go to WA couple of years later and Ness didn't have a second thought about coming back to me when Gina worked her. In fact it was embarassing because Ness was doing really quite nice work for Gina (after she had done a really pathetic job with me :D ) Couldn't convince her to handle Ness in the ring but didn't need to as we got through anyway.

Edited by ness