First Time Puppy Owner Needing Help

Tusker

Dogs will find a way. if it's too cold during the day or very wet I would pop he rin the Laundry but she does need sunlight and fresh air so if it's a nice mild day and you are out then that would be Ok but just make sure she's not left too long and is given something to occupy herself otherwise she could start with the barking again. Always make sure she has lots of warm snuggly things during the day. I thought she looked a bit jack russell that's why i asked lol

Edited by mixeduppup

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please people, don't paper train puppies. They need to learn from day one, to go outside, if that means that you set the alarm and get up in the night to take them out then do that. Paper training just teaches them that it is o.k to pee in the house and it makes it more difficult to teach them to go outside later on. They learn not to do their business in the house, by never getting the opportunity to do their business in the house.

yes I forgot to write in my earlier post that after EVERY meal, play session and sleep Nala was taken outside for a toilet break - these are the times you will most likely catch her needing to go and therefore you can both have a positive toilet training experience.

Maybe being a Dalmatian she was a bit more vocal about her toileting needs in the morning and night :laugh: but I do notice when people bring pups into my work say to fit a harness or collar and the pup gives off clear toileting signals including whimpering, it goes unnoticed.

Tusker is lovely... and with those three breeds she is going to be very intelligent, and will probably be a bit naughty too. She will need a lot of stimulation, and will love being with her people.It will be interesting to see which of the breeds she most resembles in personality.

I can't wait to see more photo's of her as she grows, I am just a little biased towards Hack Russells, and working dogs.

Di

Her mum was a lab/kelpie. dad was jack Russell. NO idea how they would have done it LOL

Mum lay down. Not an uncommon approach from a larger bitch.

You have a mix of terrier, working dog and gundog. She will need plenty of mental stimulation! Not hard to tell why you've got a barker LOL

Supercoat puppy isn't what I'd call a great diet for a pup. Suggest at least that you supplement it with some raw meaty bones like chicken necks and wings.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I haven't read all the comments but I have friends who have outside whippets in good well built runs. One thing they do with the kennels is to put a curtain over the entrance. You could nail a thick blanket (something cheap of course because she'll probably rip it to shreds) over the entrance so it will trap the heat. They also coat their whippets at night but I'm not sure about coating a tiny puppy, she might get tangled. Put lots of blankets in the kennel so she can burrow and snuggle and I agree with some kind of heating such as a snuggle safe.

Just a few observations (and welcome to DOL). Is it possible to have one section of her pen which is not boarded so she can see out? Also, as mentioned she needs more, smaller feeds each day - the Supercoat is a poor quality food and this could be attributing to her large amounts of poo you mentioned. There is a lot of crap in that food which her body wont use so it goes out the other end. You have gotten a high maintenance mix of breeds so the dog will require a lot of training and attention. You have a baby on the way, just be aware that cute puppy now which probably be a a teenaged menace from about 6-14 months I am guessing your baby will be due at the time your dog tests all boundaries. You and your husband will need to plan ahead to ensure the dog still receives plenty of stimulation when the baby arrives. FWIW, all my dogs start off sleeping with me in my bed. I have no problem transitioning them over once they have settled in and gained more independence. You might want to do some research on crate training. It helps pup to hold on and she will more than likely alert you to the need to toileting if she is crated as they don't usually like to toilet in their bed. Crate training is also very useful when you have small kids in the house.

Good luck! :)