Black Discharge?

Nackers

I've just noticed my golden retriever has this thick black discharge coming from her vagina. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I'm guessing it's not that good.

She is bright and happy, doesn't seem bothered at all. But she is a 12 month old golden retriever- nothing bothers her!

I live remotely vet is 2 hours away- I spose I'm just after any advice as to whether it's a case of 'yep get in the car and get driving' or 'you can wait until morning'

Should of said I have called the vet. Well the on call/ after hours number at least. Am waiting for a reply which is why I came here in the meantime..

DameAussie- no there isn't a lot. I noticed a bit on her feathering when brushing her and on closer inspection realised it was coming from her vagina

Thank you for the replies so far- it's an anxious wait to hear back from the vet

Yes off to the vet

Do you have grass seeds in your area? I have on two occasions asked my grooming clients whether they were aware their girls had a discharge and told they are desexed....off to the vet and in these two separate cases the girls had managed to get a grass seed in their pants which worked its way into the vulva and into the reproductive tract causing awful problems.

Not saying this is your dogs problem but a possibility!

Your problem is that the Uterus is a little like a balloon made out of sponge. While everything is not too bad it can just expand and hold any muck. Once you get more muck it slowly seeps into the body, but still holds a fair amount in, allowing your girl to remain bright and bubbly.

At some point the balloon sponge gets so full that it leaks a large amount of muck into the body and it can pop. So you only see problems when things have progressed a long way.

The discharge might mean that there is enough for there to be some overflow. It is of course better to have overflow than rupture but it still means there is lots of muck in the uterus.

Of course it may not be pyo but your description is concerning.

I hate threads with no updates to major issues!

Might just be coping with result... has only been a few days since OP

It was last Wednesday...whilst none of us know the OP we did give advice when asked and you do get somewhat emotionally involved. I do hope the outcome was a good one.

Sorry for the long awaited update. I finally got in contact with my vet and got my girl seen.

She is fine, absolutly happy as larry. Not really sure what exactly caused it but main thing is she's fine. Thanks all for the advice and help