Pup/dog On Furniture

luka

Also it is not good for puppy's growing bones to be jumping on and off furniture.

Totally agree with this :thumbsup: It is particularly true for large breed puppies. This could be another reason why your breeder mentioned it at all :thumbsup:

In part I agree with not allowing the pup on the bed, but I also disagree. I hear what the others are saying about breed differences.

Just because you let the dog on the bed/furniture, does not necessarily mean that it WILL dominate you. You run a higher risk especially if you do not have 'control' of the dog in other behavioural areas.

I have borders, and while not the same breed, they still can run roughshod over the household. While mine are not allowed free hold on the bed. they will come up when invited only. Otherwise I have mats around the house where they prefer to lie.

What can I say :thumbsup:

loungehounds.jpg

They get down when told to :rofl:

:thumbsup: Ha. This looks like my place when I had wolfhounds!!! Your deerhounds are sooo lovely. I even had the cats on the chair backs too. But the wolfies never became dominant (for want of a better word) and if I let the viz do this she does. Unfortunately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Luka I have sent you a PM :love:

While overall dog rearing strategies are applicable irrespective of breed

the Central Asian being independent and willfull in nature

will attempt to take the place of leader if it sees this role not being carried out.

More so than a Border Collie or Deerhound.

A 75kg willful, stubborn dog is not open to negotiation.

The tenacity and will that makes them brilliant flock guardians and implacable guards

also necessitates that this strong mind be given strict and clear boundaries that they understand and respect from a young age.

My recommendation and advice is not from experience with Rottweilers, Border Collies, or Deerhounds

but from experience rearing, breeding and rescuing Anatolians and Central Asians.

Your new pup will not mind if he is not allowed on the couch, or at the foot of the bed

but he will mind, if he is asked to get off once allowed on :)

My dogs are NOW allowed on couch, bed. We got one form a puupy and she wasnt allowed on at first, she is now 6 months and gets up BY INVITATION only. SOmetimes, being a pup stll, she will try it on when Im not looking, but usually she is really good and waits to be invited. Our other is 3 yrs old and we only had her a week, but someone obviously did a good job with her as she will sit and look and wait to be invited. SHe will also get down when asked.

They know their place in the family too :) I am boss and they know it :love:

What can I say :love:

loungehounds.jpg

They get down when told to :eek:

:love::love: classic pic. where do you sit?? ;)

:) On the floor. Like I said they get down when told to. I don't think Deerhounds are a dominant breed though can be wilful and try it on occasionally. When in the house they obey.

I will grant that different breeds require different attitudes to leadership. Some require more work than others.

Before getting into borders, I have owned and still part own siberian huskies and dobermanns, one of which was protection trained.

All I am saying.. Leadership is more than allowing dogs to get higher than you. Leadership is in everything you do. Even dogs who permanently live on the floor can run roughshod over their owners. It is the boundaries you set and how you stick to them is important as welll as being consistant and fair.

I will grant that different breeds require different attitudes to leadership. Some require more work than others.

Before getting into borders, I have owned and still part own siberian huskies and dobermanns, one of which was protection trained.

All I am saying.. Leadership is more than allowing dogs to get higher than you. Leadership is in everything you do. Even dogs who permanently live on the floor can run roughshod over their owners. It is the boundaries you set and how you stick to them is important as welll as being consistant and fair.

Children are not as able as adults to instill leadership.

Allowing dogs on furniture is a 'signal' that dominant breeds will pick up on.

A dog that is protection trained has little to do with dominance, but more to do with being capable of a hgh level of training.

You do not want to create a situation where the dog moves off furniture for the parents, but requests by children for the dog to get off the bed is met with definite resistance.

As advised, this recommendation is specific to a family sitatuation with a very large, willful breed.

It is to aid the rearing of a dog as a happy family member that understands its place.

Yes leadership is in everything you do, however having your dogs up at your level ie on beds or furniture, particularly impacts perceived leadership.

Subsequently the instruction to keep the dog off the furniture, and off all beds.

Lilli, are you saying that it is breed specific? Or that any dog who is in an elevated physical position can perceive that they are in an elevated social position? And i have to agree with mystiqview regarding leadership being ingrained in everything we do with our dogs, and not just one particular thing.

Edited by Cosmolo

Lilli, are you saying that it is breed specific? Or that any dog who is in an elevated physical position can perceive that they are in an elevated social position? And i have to agree with mystiqview regarding leadership being ingrained in everything we do with our dogs, and not just one particular thing.

Yes my advice is breed and potential home specific.

I know my dogs' lines and their temperaments.

My no furniture/bed recommendations is one of many to aid the rearing of a well adjusted family member.

:eek:

I have to say, i agree with the no furniture, no bed rule.

And i WISH i had done it from day one with Mitch.

We are now having issues and she is a jack russell!

So Luka, follow Lillis advise, she knows what she is talking about :eek:

Not necessarily breed specfic. Look small breeds who are carried around all day by there owners - they can become very snappy and dominant. Those raised as dogs with rules and boundaries tend to have much better dispositions and are better adjusted.

Also with regards to the damage a growing pup (of any size) can do just read Gracie Monstas topic:

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=104934

Children are not as able as adults to instill leadership.

Allowing dogs on furniture is a 'signal' that dominant breeds will pick up on.

A dog that is protection trained has little to do with dominance, but more to do with being capable of a hgh level of training.

You do not want to create a situation where the dog moves off furniture for the parents, but requests by children for the dog to get off the bed is met with definite resistance.

As advised, this recommendation is specific to a family sitatuation with a very large, willful breed.

It is to aid the rearing of a dog as a happy family member that understands its place.

Yes leadership is in everything you do, however having your dogs up at your level ie on beds or furniture, particularly impacts perceived leadership.

Subsequently the instruction to keep the dog off the furniture, and off all beds.

well said :mad:rofl:

Furniture, bed anything goes in this house. :o

If i tell them off, they get off.

100_8478-1.jpg

100_8537.jpg

:p Love the pink head rest!!! From my experiences MOST dogs are fine in this position (couch!) but have learnt with my viz, no couch or she undergoes a jekyll and hyde personality change, "I'm THE boss"!!!!!, so unfortunately, no laps for us! The spin on the other hand is very great dane/ wolfhound like. She's very solid, no personality change in any situation, so for her, she could be a couch potato, but we can't allow it because the other one isnot allowed. It has made a HUGE difference in the vizs attitude, she's much 'nicer'. So, in a roundabout way, I don't think you can generalise with this stuff, all dogs are different (even in the same breed) and you need to do what ever is best for YOUR situation. I'm like Kristie, I;ve now found out what's best (her mitch) for us.