Who Does Annual Vet Checks

Guest Robatife BCs

Guest Robatife BCs

I took Willow for a vet check today because of her weight loss and she recently has a papilloma in her mouth. She also has terrible breath and I dont know why.

I dont normally take my dogs for vet checks unless something is wrong with them, does anyone else here do annual vet checks?

The consultation cost me $45, the vet took the quickest look at her, I reckon I was in there for all of 10 seconds, and didnt have a solution or reasoning for her bad breath and told me that her teeth were very healthy. I felt very cheated of my money :D

I do that every year and the vets I go to seem to expect their clients to bring in their dogs for a yearly check. We get reminder notices about their vaccinations and put in the letter that the vet can also do an exam and have a chat about any issues you may be concerned about. We're rarely in there for less than half an hour.

Edited by Sheridan

Yep, I go every year when I get the reminder notice from the vets and normally in there for at least 15 minutes.

Cooper is actually due this month and this has just reminded me.

The bad breath could be something in the dogs gut or something nasty going on in the mouth, such as absess etc.

Dont know whether the papilloma would have any affect on her breath as isn't it a wart under the skin ?

No, I don't take my older dog in for yearly checkups.

When I take either dog in, the vet gives them a general check-over also e.g. listen to heart, feel them over, check ears, eyes etc., check vaccinations up-to-date. They always ask if I have any questions or concerns.

Can someone recommend a better vet in your area? Or was this uncharacteristic?

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I took Bella for her shots last month. It's the first time she saw a vet in 3 years as I don't believe in vaccinating annually. Casper has to go every 6 months as he is on epilepsy meds and they won't issue them without seeing him twice a year.

As Bella gets older I will take her for more frequent checkups but she's in top health right now so I'm happy not to.

Have you looked on the web about bad breath? Your vet does not sound very thorough.

Nope, I don't bother with annual check ups. Mine go to the vets when they need to or have something wrong. I have had vets who send me reminder letters...I just ignore them :) . No-one at the vets has ever said anything to me about it; I guess they send them to everyone in the hope that people will come in (a kind of scattergun approach). :rolleyes:

Edited by New Age Outlaw

I love health days run by the CCCQ...... Basic check over, teeth, heart/lungs, temperature, annual vaccination..... C4..... $28

Of course need to be a CCCQ member.

Other than that.. only time they go to the vets is when there is something wrong

Guest Robatife BCs

Thanks for your replies ;)

I think I will be looking for a new vet, although I seem to have no luck with vets :) :rolleyes: He didnt check eyes, ears or anything except for her heart beat. He seemed a bit unsure of her and when I asked him to look in her mouth (at the papilloma) he wasnt too keen on getting up close and personal with her teeth :scared:

I have just moved to this area and this is the second vet I have tried (the first vet was good but very pricey).

i take mine for their annual checkups and they get thorough examination. Temparature taken, ears, eyes mouth, teeth all checked as well as heart. And I am asked if there have been any problems. I have never timed it but I would imagine this would take at least 20 minutes, never felt rushed either although i have had to wait sometimes a considerable time.

I would be looking for another vet.

I would be looking for another vet too. The one you went to sounds a joke and imagine if you had to go to him if something really was wrong. He wouldn't be giving me a lot of confidence. 2 minute check up? Ask around - or on here.

umm I have 15 vetable pets, at $50-70 per check up($70 for the dogs $50 for the exotics), if I did it yearly I would not be able to afford their regular care lol. let see, that would be $490 a year for the dogs alone, just for a yearly check up, not including anything that comes up in between. add anouther $400 a year for yearly checks of my exotics again not including anything that came up in between. thats almost $900 a year for the vet to say "he's healthy, see ya" . so no, Ido not take my pets for yearly check ups, I take them to the vet when I need too.

Have never had an annual health check done. Pups get checked out with their vaccs and never see a vet again unless there is a problem.

Most of my dogs never see a vet again except for breeding purposes or accidents. The few health problems they get I can usually sort out myself.

In defense of vets who do a cursory checkup . . . mine doesn't spend very long going over mine when doing the annual vaccination / quick checkup (she listens to heart/chest, but doesn't bother taking temps . . . knows my dogs clean eachother's ears and always have clean teeth because they get BARF so she breezes through that part of the checkup). She doesn't charge a lot either ($30/dog incl C5). In part that's because she counts on me to take responsibility for watching to see if things are normal . . . if I have questions or concern she is happy to look in more detail.

Have never had an annual health check done. Pups get checked out with their vaccs and never see a vet again unless there is a problem.

Most of my dogs never see a vet again except for breeding purposes or accidents. The few health problems they get I can usually sort out myself.

Pretty much the same here. I check my dogs ears each week or at any sign of head hsaking, I inspect the pads and paws nearly every day. I check teeth every day as a part of stacking the dogs and I have my hands on them every time I walk out the back door.

It's something every pet owner should be doing, not relying on the vets once a year check over at vaccination time. In all the years of regular vaccs and check ups, I've not had one vet say that there is anything wrong with any of the dogs.