Goodbye Rex

kaywoman68

Rex had a hip replacement 3 years ago and the vet already told Mum that it might only give him another 2 years because of his age. They decided to go through with the operation because he was a really good boy and very well loved member of the family.

His back leg started playing up early this year and although we've tried everything, it only helped in the short term. As his back leg started improving, his front leg started playing up.

Yesterday my family and I lost a beloved son/brother and a best friend. We finally made the decision to send Rex to the :) at 4:30pm on 27 December 2007. He had spent christmas with us and was going for his check-up. He didnt want to get out of the car at all. Mum ended up carrying him inside (Rex being 33.4kg).

We really feel we've done all we could for him and we think (well, we hope) that he had a happy life with us. The last few moments were one of the hardest things I (and im sure my sister and mum) have experienced. We were there with him till he fell into a very very deep sleep and began his journey to the :)

When the pain will end, none of us is sure. All we can do is to continue wiht our lives because we know that is what he would have wanted - to not ponder in the past but to move forward and keep him in our memories.

Rex, you have been a fantastic best friend and brother to me. My day was a lot more brighter and happier when I saw you greet me at work every morning regardless of rain or shine. The smile on your face taught me that every day is a new beginning. I will miss your cuddles and sneaking you an extra chicken wing or treat after everyone tells me you've had enough for the day. The one who misses you most is our mum and I hope you will look after her from up above.

post-6936-1199098994_thumb.jpg post-6936-1199099075_thumb.jpg

Edited by kaywoman68

I am so sorry to hear this news KW :) I am really feeling your pain as I know how much Rex meant to you and your family.

Give your Mum a big :) from me and Maggie. She is lucky to have such a caring family at this very sad time.

RIP Rex :)

:( everyone for your kind words.

In time, the heart will heal. We all have wonderful memories of him being happy and loved.

It was painful going to work today. He had been staying at home for a while instead of going to work but it was so painful today realising that I would never have a Rex greeting ever again ;)

He will be back at home with Mum in about 2 weeks after a brief trip with Pets at Peace. Mum went home early to clean up the house ready for him to come home ;) (He's being cremated and ashes returned to mum).

SG, Im so sorry to hear about Max :laugh: I dont come here very often because its so sad so I only realised now.

I know how you feel about not coming here kw.....but I have to say I found it really healing. Just letting out all your thoughts is a good thing. I come in here more now but it was hard at first.

We got Maxie back about 2 weeks ago too. We also had him cremated. It's nice to have him back home.

Anyhow big hugs :( to you and I am really really sorry about Rexie :laugh:

Edited by Springergirl