Fleas!

Just Midol

I've limed outside.

I've used frontline plus, advantage (I think its called) and permoxin.

The permoxin worked on Axle when he was here but the other two didn't.

I've had to spray Giz EVERYDAY for the past 3 days with permoxin, fully coat him in it. I can't keep doing him everyday.

Anyone have any other ideas for what might work?

Edited by Lord Midol

Midol,

If the external applications aren't working, perhaps try internal?

Sentinel Spectrum - won't kill fleas but will render them infertile and unable to reproduce other little flea babies.

Capstar - will kill all fleas that bit the animal for 24 hours, then stop working. Repeat every 2-3 days, for 2-3 weeks, and you'd significantly reduce the flea population

Proban - one dose every 3 days? I'm not 100% sure that's the dosage rate, I don't have a packet in front of me?

Sentinel & Capstar work quite well together!

-WithEverythingIAm

Midol,

Proban - one dose every 3 days? I'm not 100% sure that's the dosage rate, I don't have a packet in front of me?

Sentinel & Capstar work quite well together!

-WithEverythingIAm

the dose rate for proban is 1 tab per 10kg every 2 days,if your dog weighed 27kg you should give 3 tabs.

KO tabs are great for controling fleas outdoors,2 tabs make 5 L of spray you can get it HERE but do not put it on the dogs.

the other products will be working its just the dogs are getting re-infested from somewhere eg under the house.If you continue to treat with frontline plus and proban all fleas will die but it could take up to 6 mths.

the amount of fleas you see on the dog is only 5% of the actual population,the other 95% are pupae,lavae and eggs .

We had a huge flea outbreak here and the only thing that works is Advantage.

We've sprayed the yards and all that, but that didnt really help, so now all the dogs are on Advantage, and I can always tell when its time to re-do it, because the fleas come back with a vengence!

Good luck!

I have my three on frontline plus and have had good results.

I make sure that I wash all their bedding regularly too.

I agree though the fleas have been worse this year than I remember the last few years. Normally I can go a month to six weeks treating my guys with the frontline but at the moment I'm having to do it every three weeks.

I found a flea on Dante tonight, I've never seen a flea on my dogs prior. He was given revolution not that long ago to treat for potential mites and obviously that treatment hasn't lasted too long so I have given him Advantage tonight which I usually find really good.

not sure how well this works but I was alking with a naturopath today and she recommended penny royal oil. just rub a few drops on your hands and then wipe it over the coat not into the skin though.

also put epsom salts into a blender and turn into a fine dust , add a few drops of the penny royal oil and shake well then store over night in a glass jar. this can then be sprinkled in the bedding and under the house.

I will be trying it out tomorrow so will let you know how it goes.

good luck

http://www.sunspirit.com.au/webcontent41.htm

I can't comment on the fleas as we don't have any. But I thought you might want to be aware of the Pennyroyal oil. If there is anyone pregnant (human) around - it's meant to be toxic. Something about causing early labour. :laugh:

There are many natural remedies that can help, but many are toxic to pregnant bitches/humans.

Neem oil, Lavendar, Pennyroyal, oral garlic can cause miscarriage in pregnant bitches.........

I have a concoction I use but it is in a base of oil, so the coat is greasy where applied, under arms, behind ears, base of tail.

To make 100 mls, all good quality essential oils........

15ml wheatgerm oil

20mls olive oil

50ml grapeseed oil

4 drops of cedarwood oil

10 drops Pennyroyal

5 drops Lemongrass

4 drops Lavendar

4 drops Rosemary

4 drops of Tea Tree

You can add a teaspoon of this to a final rinse when bathing, and also to the rinse water when doing bedding, I then dab it in the areas I mentioned above.

Neem oil can be made into a spray bottle, but once again , not around pregnant girls.