Training As A Meal

I wasn't going to dob you in Ptolomy :( . I did pike at heart originally but hmm its ok when its frozen solid and inside a plastic bag :D . But yep Ptolomy's kids sure eat VERY well (better than she does) and they get lots of that as rewards for training.

If you don't then you do find the dog gets on the porky side, especially when you want to do lots of training :rolleyes: .

Edited by ness

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was training once with a friend and she had a traing vest on - you know the one with lots of pockets, velcro for toys etc.

She for some reason gave me the vest so I wore it. As my hands got cold I put them in the pockets, only to find a raw chciken neck in there :rolleyes:

Scared the living lights out of me when I touched it. :D

Just for the record, and no you probably wont ever bother with obedience trialling - but a couple of my dogs have to be fed prior to training or trialling. Otherwise they get so out of control in the hope of getting food that I can't get any sense out of them, and things that they would normally find easy to do - look more like a train wreck. :rolleyes:

I'm a vegetarian and whilst I am ok feeding the dogs meat I have trouble touching it. Even cooked chicken makes me feel a bit sick. So I am certainly not gunna be using chicken necks as a training treat anytime soon :rolleyes:

i think its called the falcon or falcom method named after the person that came up with it there are some books on it i dont know the aurthers of any of them though

it about seting aside the the daily portion of food and using it on a reward basis for trainig and working dogs

I was involved with a pilot program with the RSPCA where we did a similar thing. The dogs' daily ration was measured out and placed in a covered container outside the pen. If dogs were nervous we would calmly put a piece of food through the wire so they associated us with good things :D Once they were keen for attention they only received food if they had 4 paws on the ground/sitting and were quiet. It made that area of the quarantine pens a pleasure to be around - all the dogs were calmer and quieter when the volunteers were in the area.

My pup is a bit similar to Ptolomy's two by the sounds of it - unless it's for recall practice on the beach, he has to have a reasonable meal before I ask him to work (even in the show ring), otherwise it's like his brains are all scrambled :rolleyes:

Guess it also depends on the size of the dog. A smaller dog could quite conceivably earn all its food for relatively little training whereas a more sizeable dog (or one with a higher metabolism) might need to be fed from a bowl (or trained more :rolleyes: ).

tells me that she knows of somebody who will even put raw brains inside there pocket. Both she and I draw a line at this but you get over it. Raw chicken in a pocket is nothing (well ok I do place mine inside a zip lock bag and like I said its usually frozen).

ETA. I guess you could also place raw mince inside a jackpot container.

It's only a problem if you want to spit the food. :rolleyes:

tells me that she knows of somebody who will even put raw brains inside there pocket. Both she and I draw a line at this but you get over it. Raw chicken in a pocket is nothing (well ok I do place mine inside a zip lock bag and like I said its usually frozen).

ETA. I guess you could also place raw mince inside a jackpot container.

It's only a problem if you want to spit the food. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that mental picture!!! :D

:(

I used chicken necks and wings during training.. but then again it only takes Bondi 2 seconds to eat them :rofl:

I think this is a good way of feeding/training your dog- after all wolves would have to hunt/scavenge for food naturally- so it makes sense that a dog should work for it's meals, and it is also a good way to make you "important" to your dog.

Some pups due to puppy teeth can take a long time to eat dry kibble and they can loose focus. I would try softening the kibble and jackpot from time to time for excellent responses with a favourite food - ie cooked chicken.

Mind you with a suitable pup, toy training may be worthwhile.

Happy training. I want a puppy!!!!! Not really, but they are so much fun. Their minds are like little sponges.

Thanks for all your responses. :mad

Clover doesn't like her kibble soaked?? She inhales it rather than chews it, I think.

I'm vegetarian, too, and don't really enjoy touching the meaty things. And I still have a quarter of a bag of kibble to use! I think I will have to 'get over it' once I finish the bag, though...

Guest Willow

I love this idea, I'm going to do it with my dogs! How could anyone possibly find it cruel??? Your dog is getting it's food spread through the day, and learning nice manners at the same time....I think it's an awesome idea!!!

The only thing I think I may have trouble with is that we are ina routine whereby when I have finished my dinner, the dogs get theirs, so they might be a bit confused if the food bowl doesn't appear......even if they are full up from nibbling through the day, they have bottomless stomachs!!! :mad

I read this thread a few days ago and couldn't believe I haven't thought of this before! I've been doing this with Keeda's dinner for 3 nights now and it's been going -great-. She has so much fun, her tail constantly thumps back and forth. And I must say, she can pay attention better than I thought was possible for her when there's a meal involved :mad Thanks for the great idea :mad

I love this idea, I'm going to do it with my dogs! How could anyone possibly find it cruel??? Your dog is getting it's food spread through the day, and learning nice manners at the same time....I think it's an awesome idea!!!

The only thing I think I may have trouble with is that we are ina routine whereby when I have finished my dinner, the dogs get theirs, so they might be a bit confused if the food bowl doesn't appear......even if they are full up from nibbling through the day, they have bottomless stomachs!!! :mad

Try "weaning" them off of it, if it concerns you. Maybe keep back 1/4 of their food to use at that time and ask for some behaviours before giving it, or alternatively stuf it into a kong so that they get a different type of mental workout emptying it. And as they get used to being fed through the day reduce the amount at night.

Or you can just change over cold turkey and put up with the looks you get after dinner. lol

Normally Zig's meal goes into his puzzle cube/ball but last night I fed him his whole meal while doing some clicker training....I've been laid up in bed for a few days so he has lacked a bit of mental stimulation....I just sat quietly in a chair, ran through some standard exercises and then taught him a new one. He slept very soundly after dinner :mad

I do this most weekends.

As they are rewarded with food and get fed the same amount as they would in a meal i dont see a problem with it, though some think what i do is mean but they arent the ones who are training my dogs.

.....I'm vegetarian, too, and don't really enjoy touching the meaty things. And I still have a quarter of a bag of kibble to use! I think I will have to 'get over it' once I finish the bag, though...

I'm an ex-veggie and the trainer at obedience suggested devon etc. not anything dry. Gross!

It's not so bad feeding raw. In summer I put on a glove or use a fork and just throw the food/ bones out onto the grass for them to eat. You don't have to cook it (worse for me).

It's a sad day when what you've described is "cruelty" :rolleyes:.

I notice some other forums are very OTT e.g. $10,000+ for an op for hip dysplasia + aftercare (rehab, physio etc) is all OK :D .

Sorry, but I'm not sure I'd put my dog through such a major operation- once for each side- when there are significant risks as well huge cost. You can imagine what they thought of me saying I'd prefer medical treatments and expect a shorter lifespan (not wanting my dog to suffer) :D.