Grooming Elderly Dogs

HI everyone.

Had a new client today who's dog was lovely. However I almost gave up and didnt do his legs due to highly painful

to even touch, let along sissor, clipper or brush or lift off the table in the least.

I got bitten twice, more like a warning nip , poor thing was in alot of pain so I gave him a rest then tried my best to finish. Made even harder as he wouldnt stand for more than 1 second,., very overweight and I suspect had sore hips area also..

Im not sure what to do, lovely natured dog but it took me a good 3hrs maybe abit less to get him looking ok.

I wasnt happy with the end job but it was the best I could do with this boy. Literally couldnt even lift his front legs to do the nails because of the sore/stiff legs.

What would you do? Are padded straps any good to help with standing? I dont have any, never had a need till now.

Maybe his grooming days are over? Hes a fat Maltese X Havanese

Hmn... there's those words 'fat dog' again... I'd be off to the vet with this one as there are a number of possibilities - high on the list is arthritis or other joint problems which need accurate diagnosis.

But most of all getting the weight off would seem to me to be the highest priority for this old fellow - the owners will be amazed at what a diference it will make to his mobility and pain levels. And he'll be easier to groom if he's more flexible and not in so much pain...

Cheers,

Westiemum ;)

Thanks,

The owner knows all about his pain and excess weight, she did tell me over the phone.

I just didnt think it was going to be so bad. I feel awful calling him a fat dog (but he was) Age would be 10-12 she thinks.

I will ask her next time about some sort of pain relief being given prior to coming, I got the impression

she will become a regular client. I feel like a idiot struggling to groom this boy but he makes it rather difficult

with limited movement... and a vet prescribed sedative will make it worse as he's probally sleep lol ( I dont use btw)

With oldies who want to be regulars we insist on them coming regularly( a time frame suitable for the dogs coat & age).

Many leave it too long & it just double the time the dog is needed to co operate

To be honest with many oldies we no longer strive for perfection as in some cases it just isnt feasable.Making the dog comfy & grooming it to the best of the circumastances is nothing to be embarrassed or ashame off.Grooming elderly dogs isnt easy & it is very hardwork & i would discuss this with the owner .

If the dog is struggling now with pain it should be on something for everyday relief.

I will be honest it does help having two people for some dogs & there is also nothing wrong with saying "no" to future grooms if you truley feel its all to much.

With elderly, overweight dogs it is harder, the poor little mites.

I will do as much as I can with them sitting down. They tend to sit on their hips, if that makes sense, and usually you can extend the leg a little more with them sitting than if they were standing up. This way you can groom the inside of the back legs, and the leg and rump itself quite easily. When one side is done lift them up and encourage them to sit on the other hip to do the other side. With the bottom area I strap them up so there is no pressure on their joints by forcing them to stand.

Also, try not to be nervous as they will pick up on this and they can easily be stressed.

I agree, check the pain relief he is on and see what options are available. Unfortunately it has to be done either way ;)

BC, I totally know what you mean about sitting on their hip..... and the belly falls out* lol (was a biggie too)

Its kinda cute but sure does make it hard .

He still looked nice and neat when he left and nice and short, head was beautiful,

legs average unfortunately, but I kinda gave up..

I find the noose on my table gets in the way so Im guessing a waistline support would be even worse?

Poor dog. It's very sad that people allow their dogs to get into that state. To keep an elderly dog with joint problems overweight is criminal IMO and it's entirely the owner's fault. I sometimes hear people try to blame the dog ;):.

It's only humane to request the owner sees the vet, gets a prescription, and gives the dog quick acting pain relief prior to his grooming.

As others say, strive for comfort more than perfection and request he's done more often if this is less traumatic for the dog.

Sounds as if the dog would benefit from regular pain relief as well.

(eta: Sedatives make dogs sleepy and aren't effective for pain relief in case owner thinks this is what you mean.)

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Also thankyou Settrlvr, I feel abit less guilty now of doing a average job, your post was very nice.

He did look fine when he left, but not upto my usual standards.

With oldies who want to be regulars we insist on them coming regularly( a time frame suitable for the dogs coat & age).

Many leave it too long & it just double the time the dog is needed to co operate

To be honest with many oldies we no longer strive for perfection as in some cases it just isnt feasable.Making the dog comfy & grooming it to the best of the circumastances is nothing to be embarrassed or ashame off.Grooming elderly dogs isnt easy & it is very hardwork & i would discuss this with the owner .

If the dog is struggling now with pain it should be on something for everyday relief.

I will be honest it does help having two people for some dogs & there is also nothing wrong with saying "no" to future grooms if you truley feel its all to much.

BC, I totally know what you mean about sitting on their hip..... and the belly falls out* lol (was a biggie too)

Its kinda cute but sure does make it hard .

He still looked nice and neat when he left and nice and short, head was beautiful,

legs average unfortunately, but I kinda gave up..

I find the noose on my table gets in the way so Im guessing a waistline support would be even worse?

Do as much as you can on the groin and legs while they are sitting down. I just use the strap to do anus and the tail so the dog has some sort or support, but yes, it gets in the way while doing flank and legs. It's hard holding them up with your arm when they're overweight and there's not much room between the tummy and table ;)

One of my poodles (RIP in doggy heaven now) started with arthritis all over body at age 3. Chronic at 6. I used to groom her lying down. She did this willingly & got a nice massage after. Maybe the owner would consider,due to age & heat now,just having the dog clipped real short. Doesn't look fancy but much more comfortable for the dog. You can do most of it,including inside & outside legs,round bum etc with dog lying down & just manouvering about. Sitting for the rest. Nails can be cut while lying on side. Just a weird way of doing it but less time consuming if dog will relax & lie down. Due to lack of movement they do get fat,healthier being slimmer there is only so far food can be cut back & when it gets this bad you would have to starve them,the weight just doesn't shift at a certain point. If the owner is kind you want have this one to do for much longer. There comes a time when goodbye world is the best option. Sad.

dont feel bad you couldnt do a perfect job !some dogs (not to mention the owners)are a lot more trouble than others ;you can only do what you can do & @ least youhad the dogs welfare @ heart more than can be said for the owner it seems ;Id be talking to owner re pain relief & more regular grooms with you or tell them its just not fair to put he poor little darlin through it; good luck ;I do find that the restraints help with awkwark dogs;but he may be in to much pain to use them

My goodness, if the dog is in so much pain that even touching his legs is causing distress, I feel that grooming is the least of the worries - a serious talk with the owner re medication, Vet treatment, advice re quality of life, etc. would be my first priority! Poor little fellow :mad

This is where a Laube I-vac is a godsend!! Take a look at the laube site. It sucks the hair up a little as you clip so you dont have to pull their legs out as much.

Edited by Ari

It is a bit of a worry if even touching the legs caused that much pain.

My old border has stuffed legs so I tend to groom her laying down. The dog, not me! I would see if doggie was comfy about doing that.

With clipping nails try folding the paw backwards rather than lifting the leg up. Sort of like how you clean a horse's hoof.

and a vet prescribed sedative will make it worse as he's probally sleep lol ( I dont use btw)

I'm not sure a vet would prescibe a sedative for an elderly dog that is very overweight. They lower the blood pressure dramatically, and can be dangerous if they dog is not fit and healthy. Sure the vet would do a physical exam first anyway, and decide if it was safe.

Also (as Poodle Wrangler said) sedatives won't provide any pain relief. The dog will still feel every bit of pain, he just cannot react to it like he would if he was completey awake.

I have an old dog here, just turned 12, who would have you think he is in agony when he is being groomed. He first started it about 5 years ago. But I have since worked out, he is just trying to bluff me, because he HATES the clippers. But if I dont let him put me off, he gives up on being a sooky la-la and lets me get it done. When he was a young boy and being shown, he did the same thing with having his nails cut. Carry on like nothing else. A friend took him aside, and made him do it, and since then he accepts it, just.

I have groomed lazy, fat, sore dogs before and found the easiest way was to use a strap to hold them up, muzzle them if need be while doing the sore bits, and get it done as quick as you can.

Best of luck!