Is Pork Ok For Dogs?

laffi

I think so, it does tend to give my dogs the runs though if eaten in large amounts, it might be too much fat content or something, small amounts shouldnt hurt though, i have seen neumorous people on here giving there dogs pig heads and dried ears etc with no ill effects.

Edited by s~M~s

No - I would never do it again!

We gave it to my first ever dog in the UK - we will always remember that night - we refer to it as "Bertie's explosion". When we opened the door in the morning (he slept in a bedroom), the poop was up the walls and all over the doona, the furniture, the carpet and him - he'd walked it everywhere!

I had to go to work and leave my mother to clean up - luckily she has no sense of smell.

Try it at your peril :)

trichinosis is a food bourne bacteria that comes from roundworms in the animal (pig, cow etc) This bacteria is killed through cooking before eating or freezing the meat for 3 weeks before eating raw.

I freeze ALL my meat & bones before feeding them to my dogs, not just pork. I rarely feed it as it is too fatty & can be too rich for them , even dried pigs trotters etc can set their tummy's off :)

Check out this link. Dr Bruce thinks pork is the least suitable meat for dogs. Click on the link in the article that says Nutrition for dogs.

Nutrition for dogs

This website is very interesting. I was surprised how chicken only got 3/10, when it is so much advertised by Billinghurst and Lonsdale as being excellent RMB for dogs. I will need to do some more research about that :laugh:

I look at it on the basis that all dog food is pretty much lamb, chicken or beef based so there must be a reason pork is not used. Don't know what that reason is though!

The link I posted above gives several reasons why pork is not an ideal part of our dogs diet. Still my favourite meat though...yum.

Check out this link. Dr Bruce thinks pork is the least suitable meat for dogs. Click on the link in the article that says Nutrition for dogs.

Nutrition for dogs

This website is very interesting. I was surprised how chicken only got 3/10, when it is so much advertised by Billinghurst and Lonsdale as being excellent RMB for dogs. I will need to do some more research about that :laugh:

I think if it had no additives and hormones etc. it would get a better rating. Great if you can source clean chooks I guess, or grow your own. I found a butcher this week that claims his chook is clean.

Dr Bruce and Dr Billinghurst have different ideas about which meat is best for our dogs. Dr Bruce recommends kangaroo, mainly (I think) because it is not farmed.

I have heard differing ideas about pork too. I don't bother with pork fillets, but I do give my dog pork bones with a bit of meat on them. These seem to be the perfect bones for him - he can eat a whole bone, they have never made him sick and are just the perfect size. I did stop feeding them for a while when a butcher discouraged me and after reading that website, but I asked my vet about them and he didn't think there was any problem.

Can meat from animals with parasites be sold for human consumption? I was under the impression that it cannot - so surely pork from a butcher would be fine?

ETA: Pork isn't as fatty as people think. It gets the tick of approval from the heart foundation! Bacon and similar cuts excluded...

Edited by cazxxz

Nutrition for dogs

I think if it had no additives and hormones etc. it would get a better rating. Great if you can source clean chooks I guess, or grow your own. I found a butcher this week that claims his chook is clean.

I just want to point out that hormones are not permitted for use in Australian hen production although I think they may be in some countries.

I only use chicken/pork/fish based protein due to the Dally propensity for stone forming - no red meat here.