Unwell Rotties

oonga

We made the decision with Stewie when he reached the point where he refused three meals in a row (he was a total pig before that), but he also had quite a distinct look in his eyes - I could tell he was just not interested in his surroundings anymore, he was turned inwards. The look was almost like he was asking to go - sounds corny perhaps, but there is no other way to describe it :rofl:

Thank you Allerzeit. That's a perfect description of the look. There is no way I could have described it no matter how I tried but you've explained exactly what it is and how it looks.

You can't mistake that look, I've seen it before but thankfully not from Sophie.

Our dogs make the decision when it's their time. They make it easier for us to know we are doing the right thing by them. They ask to go when they're ready. All we need to do is be aware.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shek, I don't know if it helps but...

We made the decision with Stewie when he reached the point where he refused three meals in a row (he was a total pig before that), but he also had quite a distinct look in his eyes - I could tell he was just not interested in his surroundings anymore, he was turned inwards. The look was almost like he was asking to go - sounds corny perhaps, but there is no other way to describe it :rofl:

This is what I've seen from her today. I wasn't so sure that I would know, I was told I would though and I've seen it today. I do hope it's just a bad day, but I don't think so.

The vets are aware that Jaida may be coming in tomorrow for her last visit, the kids' grandparents are also ready to take the girls if I cannot look after them tomorrow night...but OH couldn't get the night off work :love:

Edited by shekhina

Shek, I hope it is only a temporary set back with Jaida, hugs to you both , and I am sending you strength

CnR, hope Sophie's vet exam tomorrow is good - hugs to Sophie and you.

Glad to hear that Sophie has had a better day CnR - it is a roller coaster with them... Good luck tomorrow with the onco.

Shek, there was a few times when Ollie was on chemo that I thought I was doing the wrong thing keeping him going but in hind sight, I am so glad that I listened to the vet, when he said it is definitely not his time yet...

She will let you know but the vet can tell if it is just a bad day or two or otherwise.

My fingers are crossed that it is just a hurdle and she will jumo over it and come back bouncing around...

Thinking of all of you with the sick pooches...

Thank you everyone.

She has been tired for a long time, just not this tired. While before she was still keen to get up and about on her own, today she just hasn't moved, not even to go to the toilet, unless I have really encouraged her out.

The fact of the matter is Jaida is going to be PTS, whether it be tomorrow, in 3 days time, a weeks time or a few weeks time. The important thing is that she is not in pain or unhappy or without dignity during however much time she has left. I feel that she does not want to go through another day like today, and I will not do that to her. She deserves to go with her dignity in tact and while she is still comfortable and happy.

I understand for others the ups and downs might be different. The area that Jaida's lump is in however makes it very difficult for her to get up and down and turn around while she's on the floor etc. With the last growth spurt of the lump her mobility has lessened again, to go much further at all and risk it growing even more I feel is just not fair.

The leg has started to swell and she is feeling pain when I very gently touch it, that says to me the bone is being eaten away and is becoming much more fragile. I will not risk her have that leg snap and go through the agonising pain that goes with that until I can get her to the vet. I would much rather err on the side of too early than too late.

Edited by shekhina

:rofl: Oh Shek you will know when the time is right.....as has been said they have that Look in their eyes that asks you to give them their wings. Hard as it is for you to actually take her the love that you have shared will live on forever. I am praying for you and wishing you strength - the thought that the 4 day weekend coming up is something to take into account unless you have Vet available 24/7. Hugs and prayers for you both.

Shekhina while making sure that your Jaida is always treated with dignity you exude so much yourself. You and cavNrott are inspirational in your devotion and concern for your much loved companions in life.

Thank you everyone.

She has been tired for a long time, just not this tired. While before she was still keen to get up and about on her own, today she just hasn't moved, not even to go to the toilet, unless I have really encouraged her out.

The fact of the matter is Jaida is going to be PTS, whether it be tomorrow, in 3 days time, a weeks time or a few weeks time. The important thing is that she is not in pain or unhappy or without dignity during however much time she has left. I feel that she does not want to go through another day like today, and I will not do that to her. She deserves to go with her dignity in tact and while she is still comfortable and happy.

I understand for others the ups and downs might be different. The area that Jaida's lump is in however makes it very difficult for her to get up and down and turn around while she's on the floor etc. With the last growth spurt of the lump her mobility has lessened again, to go much further at all and risk it growing even more I feel is just not fair.

The leg has started to swell and she is feeling pain when I very gently touch it, that says to me the bone is being eaten away and is becoming much more fragile. I will not risk her have that leg snap and go through the agonising pain that goes with that until I can get her to the vet. I would much rather err on the side of too early than too late.

It is not an easy point to get to, when you can say that they will be PTS. Sadly those of us with terminally ill angels will all eventually have to make that final journey with them. I used to cry at the very thought of having to even make the decision but I came to terms with it a fair while ago now and like you and CnR- it is all about the dogs. When they no longer want to eat or that vacant stare stays for more than a day or two, I agree that the kindest thing to do is to let them go...

Thinking of you and Jaida, Shekky...

I hope she has a better day for both of you.

Thinking of you Shek. This is the most precious thing you can do for Jaida, to let her go on to her next journey, even though it breaks your heart. Jaida will thank you forever for your selflessness.

Stay strong hon, you are in everyone's thoughts :(

My heart is breaking for you :(

I'm so sorry Shekky. :(

Ring me if you need to talk. Or if you want, I'll come and get you and bring you back here to the farm for some peace and quiet. B1 and B2 will be at their dad's house tonight and tomorrow night so you won't be disturbed.

So sorry to hear your news Shek.

There is not much one can say to make it any less upsetting to have to go through but you are doing the very best thing for your friend and she will be grateful for it. She will be able to run free.

I admire you and send you lots of love Shek, Jaida will be running free and all of us will have you both in our thoughts and prayers.

There is not a way for me to put into words - but you have given your girl the most wonderful life and now you are in an unselfish way giving her a new life to run free and live on in the memories of all who met her or saw her pics on here.....hugs

shekhina , your story has brought back the actual feelings i felt the day i let my girl go,

there is no good luck for today , nothing said will make it go away,

hold her tight and take her last breath with you and give her yours

and tell her you will meet again.